PDA

View Full Version : Tin Vs. Lead hardness

DeadWoodDan
01-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Have been reading alot on how to i.d. pure alloys and what there properties are. Not trying to re-invent the wheel, b.c. somwone with a similiar problem was trying to find out the same answer back in 2006;

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?9318-Brinell-Hardness-of-Tin

I'm just trying to confirm what alloy ingot we picked over the summer. I am under the impression it is either 100% Tin or Lead. I am sending samples to a few members to test for me ( will be forever gratefull ) hoping to get similiar results. But by re-reading the above thread makes me wonder if a hardness test will give us the true answer. So i ordered a thermometer today, a day late i know, in the attempt to test the melting properties. Of course i am at the mercy of whomever i purchased 99.8% lead a couple yrs ago hoping it is just that.

melting temp. Sn 449.47 / Pb 621.43 degrees F
Brinell hardness Sn 350MPa OR 14BHN / Pb 38.3MPa OR 5 BHN

RotoMetals wants $69 dollars and 1lb ingot to test. A little out of my wallet for knowledge at this point.

Thanks
DWD

MBTcustom
01-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Sorry, but you can't determine an alloy's composition with a harness tester. Its like trying to measure humidity with a thermometer. There is a guy that was taking samples in S&S for testing for much less money.

PBblaster
01-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Could you get your answer through specific gravity of the metal?

lwknight
01-04-2013, 07:18 PM
If you are working with only 2 variables then , yes , you can get a very accurate composition from specific gravity. Tin and lead have very different S.G.
You can even approximate a ternary alloy to either/or and then with farther testing get to probably is .
Add in melting point and hardness charts and you can get a pretty reliable guesstimate.