PDA

View Full Version : It's got to be regional

Blammer
07-05-2007, 05:25 PM
I went to another tire shop today, no WW's they just gave them to someone else. No biggie, they said they'd have another 5 gal bucket full in 2 wks, drop by then.

So I stopped down the block to another tire shop. They gave me two heaping full buckets of ww's, no charge, they were happy for me to take them. They stated they just throw them away...

with my new melting set up I got another 24 ingots today. I figure I will get about 75 or so from each bucket of ww's.

I'm about tempted to find out how to sell these ingots for cheap.

so how much can you put in a flat rate box?

Blammer
07-05-2007, 05:27 PM
I'm surprised my wife hasn't said anything about my new smelting set up....

she must figure it keeps me out of the strip clubs... :)

Springfield
07-05-2007, 06:11 PM
USPS Flat Rate boxes are good for up to 70 lbs, although I personally wouldn't put in more than 50. So how much is cheap, we all could always use more lead.

jawjaboy
07-05-2007, 07:04 PM
This is 63 pounds in a flat rate box. And it's only about half full. This one came from Michigan to Georgia. If you ship 70 pounds of lead in a flat rate box, pad all 4 sides, top and bottom with FIRM packing! Just my 2 cents. ;)

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g194/jawjaboy/IM000140.jpg

madcaster
07-05-2007, 07:26 PM
And use CLEAR tape,you don't want to have to pay over the flat rate box shipping fees!

7BRU
07-05-2007, 09:48 PM
i put 64 lbs in a flat rate yesterday. lots of tape and i put the ingots in a small box and packed in the flat rate box.

hey blammer you ready for that 40 lb chunk i promised ya. i got about 30,000 more rounds of bullets to process.

BRU

Yance
07-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Shipping tip;

When casting ingots fill the mold completely, I mean all the way to the top to where the edges are "rounded". This will give you almost exactly a 6 lb "string". Stack 5 of these "strings" and secure with LOTS of tape. Two "stacks" will fit in the Flat Rate box with room for plenty of FIRM packing material. PACK TIGHT!!!! use LOTS of clear tape. It's ˘heep at Dollar General. I've shipped 63 lb packages of pure lead as far as Hi-waria and they arrived intact.

Blammer
07-05-2007, 10:03 PM
sure! anytime.

Blammer
07-05-2007, 10:11 PM
heck, I may just ship plain WW's.... :)

layusn1
07-05-2007, 10:32 PM
Man, I need your tire shops. All of my tire shops won't even sell me their wheel weights. They say they have to account for them and recycle them. They say they have some form where they have to show how many they brought in and how many they sent out for recycling and that if I want any I have to go find some small mom and pop tire shop that might not care. I found one and was able to get a bucket and a half for $12 but that has taken 4 months. I'm never going to build up a stash at this rate. I might as well go to the recycling center and ask if they will sell me lead at full price or buy the stuff of ebay.

AKtinman
07-06-2007, 01:41 AM
I haven't had much luck locally with the tire shops, but did find 3 buckets in a town about an hour's drive away when I was there on other business.

Last fall when I bought 105 lb steel wheel weights for my tractor, it was cheaper to drive to the foundry to pick them up than it was to pay shipping. While I was at the foundry I asked if they had any wheel weights, and they said they made them there and would be happy to sell them to me. I don't remember the price, but it was substantially more than getting used ones.

I was in SE Alaska recently packing up the remaining stuff I had there and found two 10 lb cannonball downrigger weights. Shipped them and some other stuff in one of the fixed rate priority mail boxes. What the heck, they will melt down and I figure the shipping worked out to about 25 cents a pound.