PDA

View Full Version : Stainless sprue plates---AHHHHH

44man
01-04-2013, 03:54 PM
I use it because it was free. But this is how I have to cut ladle tapers on my face plate. Countersinks go by-by fast.

zuke
01-04-2013, 06:28 PM
Nice set up.

asp
01-04-2013, 07:13 PM
What material are your countersinks? Stainless can be quite a pain to machine with tooling designed for regular steel or aluminum. Either way, looks like you have a pretty good solution.

seagiant
01-04-2013, 07:58 PM
Hi 44,
How long does it take to set up each countersink? Do you have a way to index center for each hole? I guess you could center then drill with the tailstock,then countersink with the toolpost and then go to the next hole. Thanks

Buckshot
01-05-2013, 03:13 AM
............44man, I almost fell out of my chair with vertigo looking at that photo :-) Have you tried a carbide CS?

............Buckshot

44man
01-05-2013, 09:31 AM
Hi 44,
How long does it take to set up each countersink? Do you have a way to index center for each hole? I guess you could center then drill with the tailstock,then countersink with the toolpost and then go to the next hole. Thanks
Really pretty easy. I center punch then line up the punch mark with my tail stock using a carpet needle in the chuck. Then I drill the hole and use the cutter. It cuts easy.

No, Buckshot, I haven't tried a carbide CS but I have a pile of new aircraft CS's and they don't work. I have used them on mild steel and it seems the way I cut them is about as fast.
My plates are thick and after milling the mold side they are still over 3/16" thick. This one is .220".
That little cutter I made has cut a hundred tapers without being sharpened. I will never understand why it doesn't break!
You might have been dizzy until you understand I stand crooked! [smilie=1:

seagiant
01-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Hi 44,
Thanks for the info! There's always different ways to skin a cat. For someone with only a lathe I like your way. I have a Bridgeport so would probably use that with a 60 degree cutter!