PDA

View Full Version : Portable Dillon 450

Trey45
01-04-2013, 02:47 PM
Went to a little hardware store in Gates, NC, they had the Workmate bench I wanted. It was already assembled and had been sitting on top of a shelf there long enough to have 1/4” of dust on it and a 42 dollar price tag. These are selling for around 80 bucks everywhere else. I called EVERYWHERE looking for a Workmate, no one had them in stock but they could order it, I’d have to make 2 trips, once to order and pay, the second trip to pick it up when it came in, prices were between $79 and $95. I called Brinkley’s Hardware this morning and asked about folding portable benches, I was told, all we have is a Workmate Bench!
“Don’t sell it! I’m on my way right now!” Brinkleys is about a 20 minute drive. Every other hardware store, or Sears store is about an hour. I'd rather deal with the small mom and pop shops anyhow, but I honestly never expected them to have this bench. They surprised me.

I set it up, set the dies and even loaded a dummy. I’m going to like this. It's set up for 38 Special, and will probably stay a 38 Special machine.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/74359_467934289930715_995695915_n.jpg
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/400099_467934269930717_643108149_n.jpg

The legs fold and the entire work surface drops down, this could easily be folded and taken to the range and used either at the shooting bench, or used on the tailgate of my truck.

Jim
01-04-2013, 02:55 PM
Nice, Trey! I like it! You even got room there to screw a holder on the side to drop a cold soda in.

LUBEDUDE
01-04-2013, 02:58 PM
Pretty Slick!

Highway41
01-04-2013, 03:04 PM
Set up my classic turret on a workmate. Going to drill it to setup my LAM2 on it when needed. I inherited this workmate and would really like to have another dedicated to the LAM2. But like you I refuse to pay what they're asking for them now days.
Luckily I have a few relatives who are garage sale junkies. They have a short list of what I'm looking for and will be on the lookout when the garage sale season comes back around.

Trey45
01-04-2013, 03:21 PM
Tx, I do the same thing, I have a short list of items that I check for at every yard sale, swap shop, flea market etc. I have yet to find a workmate, plenty of pewter stuff and cast iron cornstick pans though..

This is actually my second workmate, the first one is currently being used as my casting station, I have my Pro Melt clamped to it. I think these workmates are probably the best kept secret in the casting and handloading world, you're the only other person besides myself that I know of that uses these benches!

Walt
01-04-2013, 08:46 PM
Hey Trey, How does the primer seating work with that set up? Thanks, Walt

Roundnoser
01-04-2013, 08:56 PM
Very nice. Does it disassemble / collapse easily?

Trey45
01-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Walt, it seats just fine so far. I've only loaded about 50 so far with this set up so that's not a lot to go on.

Roundnoser, it collapses fine, but with the legs folded you have to use it on the tailgate.

W.R.Buchanan
01-04-2013, 10:36 PM
Trey" Get a piece of 3/4" plywood maybe 2'x3' and attach another 4" wide strip lengthwise to the bottom in the middle fore and aft.

You clamp the 4" piece in the Workmates jaws which inturn holds the 2x3 table top which you mount all of your machines to.

It will give you a little more room. :mrgreen:

I loaded on that same setup for my first 20 years. I still have my Workmate which I purchased for $29.95 in 1976.

I gave the table top to my Bro in law a few years ago and he now loads all of his ammo on it,,,, clamped in "His" Workmate.

He used my holes to mount his RCBS Rockchuck, and then drilled more holes to mount his Dillon 550B on the back side of the table. He just loosens the clamps, turns the whole top, and then reclamps to change machines.

Randy

jmorris
01-05-2013, 01:09 AM
http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/gn/3533895716_0a7f11a958.jpg

Walt
01-05-2013, 08:53 AM
Trey" Get a piece of 3/4" plywood maybe 2'x3' and attach another 4" wide strip lengthwise to the bottom in the middle fore and aft.

You clamp the 4" piece in the Workmates jaws which inturn holds the 2x3 table top which you mount all of your machines to.

It will give you a little more room. :mrgreen:

I loaded on that same setup for my first 20 years. I still have my Workmate which I purchased for $29.95 in 1976.

I gave the table top to my Bro in law a few years ago and he now loads all of his ammo on it,,,, clamped in "His" Workmate.

He used my holes to mount his RCBS Rockchuck, and then drilled more holes to mount his Dillon 550B on the back side of the table. He just loosens the clamps, turns the whole top, and then reclamps to change machines.

Randy

I do this with the 3/4" plywood in the shape of a shooting bench. I topped it with indoor/outdoor carpet and use a 2X4 on the bottom for clamping. You have to find a nice flat spot on the ground to get it stable, but with varmint calibers it works OK for field shooting. I usually use a 15lb cast iron front rest and rear sand bags, I have also added weight to a shelf on the bottom too. (concrete block or sand bags) I've probably had this set up for 20 years. I never thought it would be stout enough for a press. If Trey can seat primers alright I may have been wrong. :)

Trey45
01-05-2013, 10:44 AM
I do the vast majority of my loading on my shop bench. I have 3 Dillons and 2 RCBS mounted to it along with my Lyman lubrisizer. This workmate bench was bought to be mission specific as a portable. I have an old workmate bench that I use as my casting station, I have my RCBS Pro Melt clamped to it. Randy you have a great idea if this was all I had to work with, but my shop bench is 8 feet long and 3 feet wide and if I ever clean it up I will have a lot of room!
This little workmate bench with the 450 on it is perfect for portable just like it is. At least for me it is :)

W.R.Buchanan
01-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Yes Trey: My setup was definately for the space challenged individual. My reloading area at that time in my life was about 3 feet square .

and Walt: The setup is very ridgid and solid enough to FL size anything your press can do. I also like your idea of the shooting bench top as I have been needing a portable solid bench like that for many years and just never got around to making anything. Main reason being I didn't have a good idea of what I wanted to do, and everything I saw was too big or bulky or just too much of a project to justify for the end result which would only be used occasionally.

Your idea is so simple someone could build it in an hour.

Randy