PDA

View Full Version : Lee 300 Blk Mould

Ironduke
01-04-2013, 12:44 PM
Hello everyone.

I am a total noob at casting. I am an experienced handloader and load for around 30 cartridges, but casting is new to me.

I want to buy a Lee 235 gr 300 Blk mould, and I have some questions. It seems like in an AR you'd want a pretty hard bullet to feed from the mag without deforming, and to keep from leading your barrel or clogging the gas port, but you'd want it to expand on game--maybe just rivet a little would be enough. What alloy should I use?

I am also curious about sizing this bullet. What is the finished diameter I am looking for? I don't have a lube/sizer so if I want to size it I guess one of the Lee sizing dies that is press mounted is what I would use.

Looking at the picture of the bullet it looks like it has a boat tail. If so, how does a gas check attach? Do you use a smaller gas check? And if so, it won't touch the bore at all, so what purpose would it serve? My previous experience with gas checked bullets I have purchased and loaded indicates the gas check prevents the hot gas from cutting the shank of the bullet. Is this not what a gas check does?

What keeps the Lee lube on the bullet? I like the idea of lube grooves; this surface lubing is new to me.

My 300 fireball (pre blackout Redding dies) don't bell the case mouth. Will the cast boolits survive being seated in the cases if the mouth isn't belled?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Paul

Willbird
01-04-2013, 01:04 PM
IMHO this is a non gas check bullet. The Lee Liquid Alox (some call it liquid earwax hehe) is maybe about like maple syrup when you put it on (some folks thin it in various ways or spray the bullets with a solvent before applying)...then it dries...not fully hard...but thicker and less tacky...sort of waxy coating. Then Lee makes a push through die if you do need to size...could be done before or after lube...most do it after. This is a bullet intended for fairly low velocity so no gas check needed.

IMHO and I am just one person, I HATE liquid earwax....some LOVE the stuff....it does offer something to people who do not already have a lube sizer. But what irks me about is the buildup in the bullet seater die.

There are some other dip or wet apply lubes folks use too, some use a paste wax you can buy at walmart too

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM2379459502P?sid=IDx20110310x00001 i&srccode=cii_184425893&cpncode=32-214563488-2

I have a can somewhere but have not tried it yet...............

Willbird
01-04-2013, 01:06 PM
Also for cast bullets you do not want to shave lead EVER...if you do accuracy is gone. So many folks use the M die lyman makes.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/409943/lyman-neck-expander-m-die-30-caliber-short

It has a .308 section, then steps up to a bigger dia, then a flare....to allow seating bullets without shaving.

here is an article on the M dies...shows the internal details...........

http://www.lasc.us/Brennan_LymanMDies.htm

Ironduke
01-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Ok. I follow what you're saying. Of course the m die is currently out of stock, but it is due to be in stock in a few days. I'll wait and order everything together so it ships at once.

Is it possible to smear the "earwax" onto the shank of the bullet but not the ogive? Wouldn't that prevent the gumming up of the seater?

Willbird
01-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Ok. I follow what you're saying. Of course the m die is currently out of stock, but it is due to be in stock in a few days. I'll wait and order everything together so it ships at once.

Is it possible to smear the "earwax" onto the shank of the bullet but not the ogive? Wouldn't that prevent the gumming up of the seater?

People do all kinds of things :-)...I think some use a stamp pad maybe to roll it on ?? One can wipe it off too :-). You should look to be sure the 300 is a "short" round for the purpose of the M die, I suspect it is. Grafs may have it too...and sometimes grafs is cheaper shipping included. Not sure what size push through die you will want/need if you need one. Perfect case would be you do not need to size at all.

Ironduke
01-04-2013, 01:34 PM
The bullet is supposed to be .309. the lee push thru sizer is .309. I hope to not need it. I also see that many people cast this bullet out of WW. I would have thought harder would be better...

Looking at other moulds that could be used I see most are not as heavy as this one, and they use regular lube grooves.

Willbird
01-04-2013, 01:57 PM
The bullet is supposed to be .309. the lee push thru sizer is .309. I hope to not need it. I also see that many people cast this bullet out of WW. I would have thought harder would be better...

Looking at other moulds that could be used I see most are not as heavy as this one, and they use regular lube grooves.

Well I think 1500 is about tops for a bullet that weight in that ctg ?? So you can get there probably with air cooled WW ?? Most people will probably run it 1050 or so. The TL grooves may or may not help BC, I have seen some "spark" photo's of supersonic cast bullets with a shock wave coming from every lube groove.

Ironduke
01-04-2013, 02:03 PM
I have shot thousands of rounds thru my upper--all jacketed of course. I didn't know Pb could be used due to the gas system, so this is all new to me. My favorite load is 178 gr A-max over 15 gr of N-120 for about 1400 fps. Dang deadly on small Texas deer thru the ribs. My HD load features the 110 gr V-max at 2000 fps. I have shot subsonic before with the 240 gr SMK, but the action wouldn't cycle in cold weather. All of this will be new to me with cast Pb.

Willbird
01-04-2013, 02:08 PM
You can also use the liquid earwax with regular lube groove bullets....with or without gas checks, this bullet and others may end up with the base below the neck...gas checks not good then, can fall off and become bore obstruction.

Willbird
01-04-2013, 02:12 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?67654-Tumble-Lubing-Made-Easy-amp-Mess-Free

There is an article on an alternative to straight lee liquid earwax :-)

Moonie
01-04-2013, 02:12 PM
A gas check will fit on the boat tail, I do not do this so far but I haven't loaded any of them in awhile, I'm testing the 155 .312 lee currently.

Ironduke
01-04-2013, 02:14 PM
A gas check will fit on the boat tail, I do not do this so far but I haven't loaded any of them in awhile, I'm testing the 155 .312 lee currently.

.312 seems fat for a .308 bore. See? i know nothing about cast bullets.