PDA

View Full Version : 416 gas check bullet

Willbird
01-04-2013, 12:30 PM
I am building a smokeless muzzle loader. Will be a 416 caliber...with the J word bullets should be able to hit at least 2700fps with a 350 grain. But those things run from $.75 to over $2 each depending on what one you choose. I will be full form sizing them before firing in a swinglock full form die.

Here is what the die looks like....

http://www.swinglock.net/adjustablebsd.php

Well I want to get some kind of bullet mold for a gas check bullet so I can shoot the thing without having to take a part time job to buy bullets :-).

So the options are to buy the rcbs mold....or have a custom made from several sources.

IMHO the die will have to be adj smaller than the rifle bore to get a bullet that will seat with about 25 lbs of force...for that reason I think any bullet with much bore ride will be a poor choice because the smaller die (made of a section of the same rifle barrel the rifle will be using) will engrave the boor ride..then that will not touch when actually loaded into the rifle ??

Went on Mountian molds website and I SWEAR the other day I was able to design up a bullet at .417 dia but now it refuses to let me go below.441 in dia ??

Dutch4122
01-04-2013, 12:40 PM
I would suggest that you contact Tom at Accurate Molds. He has always been great to work with when you need a design that is out of the ordinary.

Hope this helps,

Willbird
01-04-2013, 12:41 PM
I did have a look at his website...it is not terribly out of the ordinary just a bit "retro"...the Scheutzan boys did all the same stuff (including the full form die) years ago :-).

I am building a smokeless muzzle loader. Will be a 416 caliber...with the J word bullets should be able to hit at least 2700fps with a 350 grain. But those things run from $.75 to over $2 each depending on what one you choose. I will be full form sizing them before firing in a swinglock full form die.

Here is what the die looks like....

http://www.swinglock.net/adjustablebsd.php

Well I want to get some kind of bullet mold for a gas check bullet so I can shoot the thing without having to take a part time job to buy bullets :-).

So the options are to buy the rcbs mold....or have a custom made from several sources.

IMHO the die will have to be adj smaller than the rifle bore to get a bullet that will seat with about 25 lbs of force...for that reason I think any bullet with much bore ride will be a poor choice because the smaller die (made of a section of the same rifle barrel the rifle will be using) will engrave the boor ride..then that will not touch when actually loaded into the rifle ??

Went on Mountian molds website and I SWEAR the other day I was able to design up a bullet at .417 dia but now it refuses to let me go below.441 in dia ??

Willbird
01-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Something kind of like this might work out...not sure what the reason is for the TL looking grooves

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=42-400T-D.png

Willbird
01-04-2013, 12:58 PM
I sent Tom an email with some info on the project.

Dutch4122
01-04-2013, 01:26 PM
I'm sure that you will be happy with his design skills. He has modified and tweeked several of his existing designs for me in the past with excellent results.

Blammer
01-04-2013, 03:23 PM
I have 416 GC's when you need them. :)

badgeredd
01-04-2013, 04:10 PM
Willbird,

Have you inquired into the pricing of a manufactured Swinglock firearm? I am curious at to their price range. Pretty interesting design.

Edd

Willbird
01-05-2013, 12:06 AM
To badgeredd NO :-)...I think it is multiples of thousands of dollars...very nice looking...probably worth every penny...but I do not have that many pennies. I am building one based on a rem 700 center fire action.....doing the gunsmith work myself.

To Blammer....I did manage to finally login (had to make up a new username not willbird for some reason) and did see you had 416's....but it would be prudent for the shipping to add something else with the order.

Bill

Willbird
01-07-2013, 01:30 PM
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=42-400S-D.png

I looked up what Accurate had in their catalog, and talked to Tom via email, and he altered one design he had made before to come up with this one, the one he had made before had TL lube grooves, looks like a great bullet to me, will be ordering one up later this week.

Bill

Hardcast416taylor
01-07-2013, 02:25 PM
I had Tom change the diameter of his #42-330C mold to be a .419" dia. The mold drops a 342 gr. bullet when using Wheel weight alloy that I use in my .416 cal. bolt action rifles. I believe you`ll be satisfied with his mold.Robert

Willbird
01-07-2013, 02:27 PM
I had Tom change the diameter of his #42-330C mold to be a .419" dia. The mold drops a 342 gr. bullet when using Wheel weight alloy that I use in my .416 cal. bolt action rifles. I believe you`ll be satisfied with his mold.Robert

How close did your mold drop to the specified dia ?? As always I'd rather be big than small hehe...but will .418 be on the safe side ??

Willbird
01-14-2013, 12:38 PM
Wow went to get the mail, and WOW :-) was not expecting this :-). ordered on the 8th received on the 14th.

http://i.imgur.com/NCdCp.jpg

MT Chambers
01-15-2013, 10:26 AM
Like all Accurate molds, that's a work of art!