PDA

View Full Version : Frank Wesson

John Taylor
01-04-2013, 10:11 AM
Just picked me up a Frank Wesson 32 rimfire. Was thinking of making it into a 32 S&W but after looking it over I think it would serve me best as a 22LR. Overall condition is good but the bore is not good enough to shoot. Changing it to a center fire would be an obvious change because of the breach design. A 22 liner will almost slide down the barrel as is so the only part to make would be the extractor and may need to add a little to the hammer nose so it will hit the smaller rim of the 22.
Now to hear everyone scream about ruining an antique.

Jon K
01-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Sounds like an easy solution to make it shootable.
Antique or not paper weights are useless. In working condition has more appeal to me.

Jon

JHeath
01-04-2013, 11:15 AM
John, we want you to enjoy your rifle so here goes:

"You have no right to enjoy that rifle like the original owner did. Shooting that rifle is an act of disrespect to Frank Wesson, to the original owner, and to humanity. You have a duty to preserve every tiny thing in the world exactly as it was on the day you were born. Every rifle is unique and potentially historically important so none should ever be fired or even handled. People like you belong in jail. There should be a law. I haven't checked but I'm pretty sure there is one, because I always assumed so."

Now take it out and drive it like you stole it, then send us photos of your depraved indifference to this legacy of human culture.

SgtDog0311
01-04-2013, 11:50 AM
John, depends if you have one of these stocks? If yes, then no.

That'd be a joke.

And if I said "only after you finish mine", that'd be another joke.

Can't get a break here, can you.

Seriously, Went and looked at one of these just to see what we were talking about. Pretty cool the way the bore is availed to the shooter. New to me!

I'm wondering about the value. As is, what's it worth? Somebody might be roling their eyes right now and thinking "here we go". but bare with me. And how much do you think you'll use and enjoy it as a 22? Seems those two things are what sit in the balance scales regarding anything you do to change the value. And unless the value is way up there, personally I'd rather see a gun used than sitting in a closet or hanging on a wall. Better yet, hangin on the wall above the front door and taken down often for use is even better.

Whatever you do, I reckon it will be first rate.

John

dagger dog
01-04-2013, 03:27 PM
Under any circumstances will I shoot, modify or molest ANY ANTIQUE firearm that doesn't have a hole drilled all the way through the barrel !

JHeath
01-04-2013, 10:18 PM
Is this the SS rifle/carbine or the pistol? I assumed the former since we're in the Single Shots forum.

I'll Make Mine
01-04-2013, 11:44 PM
Another option for a .32 Rimfire is .32 Long Colt with black powder. The case dimensions are such that no rechambering is required, and if you load the original type heeled bullets over black powder, the only difference will be centerfire vs. rimfire (and reloadable vs. throw away brass, of course). Should shoot well with heeled bullets, too, providing the bore is in good shape. If you want to load down, a partial case or powder with some Cream of Wheat or similar filler will do the deed.

This is the minimum effort conversion, for sure; make it a centerfire, load some rounds, and go shoot.

John Taylor
01-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Another option for a .32 Rimfire is .32 Long Colt with black powder. The case dimensions are such that no rechambering is required, and if you load the original type heeled bullets over black powder, the only difference will be centerfire vs. rimfire (and reloadable vs. throw away brass, of course). Should shoot well with heeled bullets, too, providing the bore is in good shape. If you want to load down, a partial case or powder with some Cream of Wheat or similar filler will do the deed.

This is the minimum effort conversion, for sure; make it a centerfire, load some rounds, and go shoot.
The problem with making it a center fire is the breach area is very thin and has a cut for the hammer mounted firing pin. I had thought of making it a center fire, installing a liner and making it into a 32S&W but a 22 LR would be less invasive and a lot less money to shoot. Will try to post a picture later.

SgtDog0311
01-08-2013, 12:02 PM
Hope you do post a picture... be very interested in seeing it. If you do, I hope you include one with open breach.

John Taylor
01-16-2013, 12:24 AM
Picture of breach with barrel removed.

I'll Make Mine
01-16-2013, 08:27 AM
There's a no-alteration option for shooting that .32 RF, if you're so inclined. Dixie Gun Works has .32 RF adapters to load with round ball and .22 power loads (sold in hardware stores for concrete nailers). They work like a Hammond Game Getter -- insert power load, thumb seat a ball (sized 00 buck or .320 round ball should work here), chamber with the power load under the firing pin, then pop out the power load to start over. They're cheap enough to reasonably get five or so -- improves your follow up shot speed! -- and if they work as well as Game Getters, should be plenty accurate for fun shooting.

SgtDog0311
01-16-2013, 10:30 AM
Thanks for posting the pic. Made me go educate myself. Pretty cool piece of history you have there. Good that she gets a second life too, be it 32S&W or 22RF.

John Taylor
01-16-2013, 11:32 AM
The rifling was already gone so it was going to need a liner to shoot. I went with a 22LR and soldered a sleeve over the chamber area, bored out the chamber to the rim cut so there would be no steps to the liner. Need to extend the extractor and cut a relief for the firing pin.

leadman
01-16-2013, 01:05 PM
I think what you are doing is a great idea. This will get another piece of history back in operation and visible again to many people that may have no idea of what it is. When I bring out my old guns to the range I always get people stopping to look and ask questions.

John Taylor
01-16-2013, 09:56 PM
Well I got it together and test fired. I was a little worried because I put a Bentz chamber which runs the pressure up and sometimes will rupture brass if the extractor cut is not perfect.

Green Lizzard
01-16-2013, 10:30 PM
relined mine with an old 8mm barrel shoot 100 gr .324 1300 fps older model with no extractor

SgtDog0311
01-16-2013, 10:43 PM
Green Lizzard... glad you finally got them typing fingers limbered up a bit. I'm gonna keep tabs on you now that you broke the ice:-)

Next time I'm over you got to show me that one. Specially now that I know what I'm looking at. And I don't mean the pistol with the clothshanger stock either:-)

Mr Taylor, hope you keep posting pics. Interesting!!

Green Lizzard
01-17-2013, 09:49 PM
blown out 32-20 case sgt0311

SgtDog0311
01-18-2013, 01:11 AM
blown out 32-20 case sgt0311

Green Lizzard... I'm a little slow on the uptake (but you already know that)... not sure what you mean.

Green Lizzard
01-24-2013, 08:21 PM
john did you do 22 or 32

SgtDog0311
01-24-2013, 11:37 PM
Green Lizzard... back up a ways in the post he says he went with the 22.

I didn't know what a Bentz chamber was by you probably do.

I want to hear how it shoots.

John Taylor
01-27-2013, 11:26 PM
john did you do 22 or 32

I made it a 22LR, I'm cheep and can shoot it more this way.
A Bentz chamber is a tight target chamber where the bullet is into the rifling a small amount. I have another target chamber reamer that has no throat at all and only works on guns that you can push the cartridge in like a bolt action.

SgtDog0311
01-28-2013, 08:55 PM
Thanks for explaining the Bentz chamber.

Btw: I think a guy ought to post a picture of a good target after doing all that work :-)

John Taylor
01-29-2013, 09:29 AM
Thanks for explaining the Bentz chamber.

Btw: I think a guy ought to post a picture of a good target after doing all that work :-)
Two things keep me from shooting, one I have to work to pay the bills and two it won't stop raining. I did get a chance last week to test fire a 62 caliber under hammer with Forsythe rifling which didn't help my shoulder. The other thing that's holding things up is the rear sight is missing the adjustable blade. I'm reluctant to just throw any sight on this old gun.

uscra112
02-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Hey, John - if you don't like rain, why are you in Puyallup?

I was told by friends at the Bremerton Navy Yard that it rains so much in Puyallup that the birds build their nests upside down. :kidding:

I'll Make Mine
02-04-2013, 11:51 PM
I was told by friends at the Bremerton Navy Yard that it rains so much in Puyallup that the birds build their nests upside down. :kidding:

They were pulling your leg. That's the other way from Bremerton, up Kitsap peninsula; Puyallup only gets 45-50 inches a year, but Keyport gets close to 90. And no, I'm not kidding...