PDA

View Full Version : Mortis

Gibson
01-04-2013, 08:37 AM
I'm posting here as well as I consider some of you my internet friends.

My Aunt died yesterday and I tell you, the older I get the more mortality enters the picture. She seemed old but okay, by all accounts. But landed in the hospital over some confusion issues. I thought it was just early dementia (she was 74) but then they tell them that she has brain cancer, liver cancer, and spinal (bone) cancer. She died 10 days later. Unreal. I 'grow'd' up with her she was like a second mother to me. Her husband was like a father to me. Took me fishin' all the time. My cousin (his son) and myself would be setting on "go" as soon he got home from the coal mines. He'd take us to get some minnows/crickets/nightcrawlers and off to the the strip cut lakes we'd head. Damned good times. [Kids nowadays sit in front of a damn video game. . . during the summer my mom threw me out of the house around 8 am and hell, I was 7 or 8 years old. Me and the cousin mentioned above hit the woods. At lunch we'd go back, wolf down a sandwich, and head back to the woods. After I hit 10, I got to take my handy dandy .410 gauge single shot with me.] That, my friends, is how everyone ought to grow up. The uncle was and still is a preacher, not one of those "dearly beloved" types but a real country preacher, you know the kind that is still human. . . he'll grab a chew and he will converse in the riverbank vernacular with you but a fine man of God: decent and charitable. He 'done' for me, I know that. My aunt Shirley Davis was one fine woman as well. She'll be missed by me, I'll tell ya.

I decided to feel bad for a few days. . . I feel better later. . .

Wal'
01-04-2013, 08:54 AM
Sorry for your loss.........seems she & the Uncle left you with a lot of good memories.

SP5315
01-04-2013, 09:03 AM
My deepest condolences on your loss.

Cactus Farmer
01-04-2013, 09:13 AM
My parents are both 88 and seem to spend more time in the hospital than out. I'm fearing that I may be joining you in feeling a great loss soon. People become more important as we age and realize they aren't any more immortal than me and I must have thought I was as a youth. Condolences sir.

1Shirt
01-04-2013, 11:01 AM
We should all have someone like your Aunt Shirley in our lives. Condolances!
1Shirt!

MBTcustom
01-04-2013, 11:49 AM
Sorry to hear it Gibson. I know exactly what you mean about mortality entering the picture. We will all meet up yonder in a little while. Blessings and condolences to your family.

Gibson
01-04-2013, 11:52 AM
I am humbled. Just when you feel really down, you guys give support.

Thank you.

P.K.
01-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Fair Skies to your Aunt.

blackthorn
01-04-2013, 12:46 PM
You have our deepest sympathy, as does your Uncle and other family!

Echo
01-04-2013, 01:18 PM
My sympathy - a chum of mine pointed out that, as we get older (I'm 77), a major part of our life is dealing with loss. He has walked in on three of his chums and found them dead. That's life. You have some great memories...

Gibson
01-04-2013, 08:15 PM
Thanks again. Sadness is a part of life as are deaths. I feel better this evening, I suppose. Honestly, you guys cheered me up.

Dean D.
01-05-2013, 02:17 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss Gibson. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

**oneshot**
01-05-2013, 10:14 AM
sorry for your loss.

Dennis Eugene
01-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Gibson, sorry to hear of your loss. Just think all the fine memories you have of her,she had just as many or more of you. She not only added to your life but you added to hers. Sincerly Dennis Eugene

jmort
01-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Your heartfelt tribute says so much. She is waiting to see you, and all of us for that matter. I can't wait to meet that fine lady. Every time I meet a Christian, I think of the fact that we will spend eternity together. Will be praying for your Spiritual strength.

Mohavedog
01-05-2013, 07:17 PM
What a great tribute you give to your aunt Shirley Davis. We can only hope to leave this mortal life by leaving behind beautiful memories with the loved ones we left.
This life is only moments in the context of the eternal soul and we look to the day that we'll be united with those we've loved here on earth. It will be just a short time.
I want to try to live life so that my loved ones will say the same things about me that you said about your beloved aunt Shirley.
God bless you Gibson and cherish your memories. Mohavedog