PDA

View Full Version : Warning, ramshot powder user's please read.

number7tn
01-04-2013, 08:11 AM
i dont know if it has been posted before, and i dont know about all ramshot powders or other calibers , but there is at least 2 different online manuals, 1 gives higher load data than the other.

i didnt pay much attin. till i started getting very hard to extract cases on my 300wm. using 89gr magnum with a 148 gr bullet.

the other manual -- rs load guide v4.3 lists this,
150 HDY SST INTK - 77.7,, 2,919 -- 86.3 ,,3,243,, 58,900 3.340
Magnum

150 SIE SPT - 77.4 ,,2,884 -- 86.0 ,, 3,204 ,, 56,450,, 3.335
Magnum

i had worked up to this max of 86.3 before and settled on 86 with 150 grainers. i had forgot the charge wt but rembered it was a max load , so i looked it up and used the other manual (whitch lists 90gr max.)
thats why i loaded the 89grain charge i just rembered i had used max load before,,, but it was a diffrent guide.

just figured it might help some out.
i know my wording aint the best , but just be carefull and check the manuals.
its something i should have done.

hope this helps someone.
GOD BLESS
Darrell

number7tn
01-04-2013, 08:51 AM
if i done it right , here is the v4.3 (safer) manual

hope it helps.
GOD BLESS
Darrell

Moonie
01-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Please note that max loads listed are for the barrel they tested, with the EXACT components they used, bullet, powder lot, primer and brass.

For everything else reduce 10% and work up...

Isn't this rule #1?

Rocky Raab
01-04-2013, 10:26 AM
The folks at Western Powder tell me that when they took over the Accurate powder line, they naturally re-tested some of the data put out by the original company. And got some nasty surprises. So they re-tested every load combo. (Can you imagine how monumental THAT job was?)

The new data is offered free in PDF form via the link quoted above. If you have ANY load brochures or manuals put out by the original Accurate company, do NOT use them for load data.

number7tn
01-04-2013, 11:34 AM
Please note that max loads listed are for the barrel they tested, with the EXACT components they used, bullet, powder lot, primer and brass.

For everything else reduce 10% and work up...

Isn't this rule #1?

yes it is, i had worked up using data from the safe manual before, then got more bullets , and had forgot the exact charge wt but rembered it was the nearest even number b4 max. well i looked in the unsafe manual and got the other number and thought it be safe to start 1 grain below sso it was 89. but the orgnial loads were 86.
yes its a mistake on my part, should have took notes better, checked data more etc...
in the fireformed brass with the bullet seated a little longer the 86gr load works good.

number7tn
01-04-2013, 11:47 AM
The folks at Western Powder tell me that when they took over the Accurate powder line, they naturally re-tested some of the data put out by the original company. And got some nasty surprises. So they re-tested every load combo. (Can you imagine how monumental THAT job was?)

The new data is offered free in PDF form via the link quoted above. If you have ANY load brochures or manuals put out by the original Accurate company, do NOT use them for load data.

i knew that western powder bought them out , but the testing of each load i didnt know about , that must have been a lot of work. but im glad they did it, my hats off to them.

the manual with the unsafe loads i got , i downloaded it straight from their website. not accurate. , the safe one i got came from a cd i ordered with a lot of other stuff on it.
i know that reload reference lists safe for this load . i havent checked my hornady 7th ed. or other manuals i got.

anyway i was just hoping to save someone from a overload. , cause no matter how long you have reloaded things can happen. so be safe everyone, chech more than 1 pace for data , if you like me have stuff saved on your puter , make sure to check more than 1 even if it was got straight from the powder website. start at start loads and work up. etc.

by the way sorry for the double post, i couldnt figure out how to get 2 quotes in one post.

Edit:lee 2nd edition lists the heavy load - be carefull.

may GOD BLESS
and thanks for the replies.

DARRELL

Rocky Raab
01-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Be aware that any data you might find elsewhere - such as Lee - may be based on or taken directly from the OLD Accurate books. I'd trust data from a source that does actual load testing, but not from somewhere that just reprints other people's data. Lee is one such place that copies but does not test.

And as always, it should be CURRENT data. The old Accurate company bought powder from the lowest bidder. You can find bottles of Accurate #2 or Accurate #5 powder from at least four different countries, for example. Some of it varied quite a bit. Western ended that "lowest bidder" stuff, and will be packaging each powder from only one source. Some is from overseas and some is from the St Marks facility in Florida, but wherever it's from, a given powder will be from that source ONLY.

number7tn
01-05-2013, 12:59 PM
Rocky Raab you are right. i just checked my lee 2nd edition with my hornady 7th , for the 300wm loads and every load i saw , not just 1 powder but for all powders , the lee gave higher charg numbers , starting and max loads compaired to the same listed loads in the hornady manual.
i havent checked every single load or any other cartridges or any other manuals i got.
i know the 7th edition is an older version of the hornady manual as they have the 9th i think out now.

the main data i use is what is printed on the can if it has it .

one rreason to use old data is if someone has powder the same age as the manual.

i guess the best advice i can give is be carefull, use common sence, check more than one manual, and again be carefull.

ive not loaded as long as most on here but i have loaded a few years , i dont know a lot , but when you get pressure sighns, check what is wrong.
i have now learned to check more thn one manual and not be in a hurry.

GOD BLESS
Darrell

runfiverun
01-05-2013, 01:45 PM
i have a few pamplets from the old company,and comparing their powders burn rates to known loads they were a bit on the ummmm ambitious side.
some of the powders changed too [just a little] when the new company took over.