PDA

View Full Version : Who is drooling over their new source of jackets?

SquirrelHollow
01-04-2013, 04:37 AM
News is traveling very slowly, but Winchester has been hinting at a new "super' rimfire cartridge since October.

They finally let a few reporters spill the beans, and this is what we've got:
.17 Winchester Super Magnum (http://www.huntingclub.com/blogs/articletype/articleview/articleid/14679/new-raging-rimfire-17-winchester-super-magnum#.UOZtNW_oRr2)

The most important thing, as far as the swaging forum is concerned:
It's based on the thick-walled .27 caliber blanks used in 'powder actuated' nail guns.
So... they should be suitable for use in pretty much anything from 6mm to .30 caliber, but will probably make fantastic 7mm jackets without any extra draw dies.

Oh. I guess I should say, it seems like a cool cartridge... but I won't be buying one. (It's expensive enough just feeding my WMR.)

BT Sniper
01-04-2013, 04:41 AM
Yep, been mention of it today in teh 264 thread. Interesting looking piece of brass there. Goign to take a strong press to iron out that big looking rim but I know it can be done, Anything is possible! I can't wait to see some results!

BT

Bwana
01-04-2013, 06:14 PM
At least with a 22 Hornet you still have a piece of reloadable brass after you pull the trigger. Does anyone remember the 8mm Rem, 7-30 Waters, 5mm Rem, 356 Win, 307 Win, 244 Rem, etc, etc? For you small caliber swagers I hope it takes off. I will save any I find for you all.

SquirrelHollow
01-04-2013, 06:52 PM
Yep, been mention of it today in teh 264 thread. Interesting looking piece of brass there. Goign to take a strong press to iron out that big looking rim but I know it can be done, Anything is possible! I can't wait to see some results!

BT

I see. I completely missed that. :roll:

Andrew Mason
01-04-2013, 09:36 PM
id be open to the idea of getting one.
there is a hunting area that i know that dose not allow the use of centerfire rifles,
they do allow shotguns and muzzel loaders, but i dont know what they say about rim fires.

if they do allow them, i would get one of these.

runfiverun
01-05-2013, 12:30 AM
he doesn't know what rifle they will use.
killin me right there.
the old winchester would have put it in the 94-22 frame and would allready be selling them.

that rim might be needing some ooomph to push off with a chamber pressure at 36-k. [it's still a rimfire though so it has to be mashable enough to take the firing pin]
those cases should make some dandy 7 and 30 cal jaxkets.

i do wonder what/how this will do up against the 17 hornet.

SquirrelHollow
01-05-2013, 02:34 AM
he doesn't know what rifle they will use.
killin me right there.
the old winchester would have put it in the 94-22 frame and would allready be selling them.

----

i do wonder what/how this will do up against the 17 hornet.

Since Winchester Repeating Arms is now owned by Browning, which is owned by FN... and none of them like jumping into the "latest and greatest" cartridge releases, I don't think we'll see anything from them. Plus... they don't have a rifle to put it in, right now.

Savage's offering will almost certainly be the Model 25, maybe even a re-introduced Model 40.
Under normal circumstances, Ruger would offer a 77/22H variant (77/17W ?), within the first 6 months. However, they're SLAMMED with orders right now. Adding something new is probably not a priority. (Take what you can get, while the gettin' is good; and don't rock the boat.)
Anything else is just a guess. I think CZ will chamber it. I think Cooper will chamber it. Remington might even offer it (with their name, or even Marlin's, on the rifle).

As for the .17 Hornet... The .17 WSM falls short by about 600-650 fps, with factory 20 gr loads.
The Hornet is still superior, ballistically.
If I was Joe Consumer-NonReloader, staring at the two, I'd buy the .17 WSM. Ammo should be noticeably cheaper, and the ballistics are good enough.

runfiverun
01-05-2013, 11:03 PM
there are some 17 hornet rifles trickling out of the ruger plant.
our local gun store owner just got himself one as a retirement present for selling his store.
but yeah time will tell who does what.