PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn, Stupid, or Cheap

Daffy
01-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Pan lubed for quite a spell now. Anybody need some homemade cutters for 44 and 9mm? I got some dandys.

Asked the significant other for a lubesizer for xmas and got one. Put together the list of dies and punches needed and ordered them. Just did the first run setups and ran a batch....

Brutha's do I feel like a fool.... I don't even feel the need to wash my hands but will anyway, Momma needs some lovin!:-D:-D:-D

Remyvtr15
01-03-2013, 11:46 PM
U do that studly... ewwww ooowwww, I just saw u r in occupied territory... best wishes.

runfiverun
01-04-2013, 01:01 AM
mmmhmmm.
one more step.
i lubed about 3,000 452664's today after we got home from grocery shopping.
the 7 gallon bucket will be full tomorrow,maybe, my shoulder is getting a little stiff.

mdi
01-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Well, I guess I'm gettin' there too. I pan lubed 200+ .38/9mm bullets the other day in C-Red and mebbe some of the fun has gone out of the process. I've rebeled against (been stubborn) getting a lubersizer 'cause my methods have worked quite well for mebbe 17 years, and I didn't want to go with the extra dies/top punches for each caliber and bullet shape I cast. I'm not in much of a hurry either and don't need many cast/sized/lubed bullets at one time as I usually enjoy working with my cast boolits. Plus I've read a lot of complaints about different company's products leaking, breaking, plugging up, and needing heaters.

Mebbe I'll look into a Lyman 4500 (can't afford a Star)...

DCM
01-09-2013, 08:36 PM
From the title the wife thought this thread was about me.

Any Cal.
01-10-2013, 07:10 AM
I picked up a Lyman 45 here, after quite a bit of pan lubing. So far, they seem to be about the same speed. Pan lubing costs less, doesn't need dies or punches. Lubersizer is cleaner and doesn't need nearly as much lube, also requires less bending over a pan to place or remove bullets. I could go either way at this point, but am really glad I didn't spend $150 on a lubersizer. Currently have about $80 into the Lyman 45 and two sizing dies. The sizer does hold the potential for lubing bullets indoors, since it isn't as stinky/messy as the pan lube.

357shooter
01-10-2013, 07:20 AM
Pan lubed for quite a spell now. Anybody need some homemade cutters for 44 and 9mm? I got some dandys.

Asked the significant other for a lubesizer for xmas and got one. Put together the list of dies and punches needed and ordered them. Just did the first run setups and ran a batch....

Brutha's do I feel like a fool.... I don't even feel the need to wash my hands but will anyway, Momma needs some lovin!:-D:-D:-D
Yeah, moving to a lubrisizer from pan lubing is like coming out of the stone age.

Pan lubing is ok for small batches, if you have to do it. With my Lyman I size and lube 100 bullets every 15 minutes. Never is there a batch that is half done either. :castmine::castmine::castmine:

Sax.45
01-12-2013, 02:15 PM
I'm new to casting, so I still pan lube boolits that I don't have sizers yet for my 450, or star. Lube sizers great, The star is fantastic. Once I get all the sizers I need, No more pan lubing for me.

Sax.45

mdi
01-12-2013, 02:21 PM
BTW, I've been looking at some firearms related auction sites and it's diffficult to find lubersizers. The "search fuction" on all the sites I tried don't recognise "bullet sizing equipment", "lubersizers", "bullet lubing tools" "lube/size equipment", etc...

357shooter
01-12-2013, 07:31 PM
Think I had good luck with lube sizer on eBary. That was a few years back. Try Lyman 450, or whatever brand name you are interested in.

Cherokee
01-12-2013, 09:19 PM
Never pan lubed, started with a used Lyman 45 in '60, still have it along with 450, 4500 and Star. Star is really fast.

chrisw
01-12-2013, 10:46 PM
I got the same christmas present! Now I just need to wait so I can afford the dies :(

dverna
01-12-2013, 11:14 PM
I was mentored by a competitive Bullseye shooter and he started me right. I got a Star and never looked back. It is a one time investment that will last a lifetime. It may not be the best (most economical) option if you shoot a lot of different calibers and shoot in small quantities but for serious amounts of bullets it cannot be beat.

There is no one "right" answer for everyone. There are trade offs of time, and cost that each of us make.

CBH
01-14-2013, 12:42 PM
Ditto on the Star. Worth every penny.

mdi
01-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Jes a Q, besides Lyman, RCBS, Lachmiller, Star, Seaco, who else mfgs. lubersizers suitable for home use?

Daffy
01-23-2013, 08:31 PM
Well I've cranked out a bunch of 9 and 44's and have had no problems. Wee bit of learning curve on how much to press the lube by comparing the lube groove on the different boolits.(not so much different than learning what the different molds want to drop good boolits) My son liked the 9's I gave him so much he bought me a 45 mold, die, and top punch so I can "help" him keep his FN fed. It's all good though we have a great bartering system. Lead store is probably close to sufficient for the next 10 years, tin and antimony.. gonna have to work on that and some more lube too to get some balance on supplies. Friggin unreal how fast the price gouging on everything has started not to mention all the "Out of Stock" labels have gone up.

Back on topic.. I wandered, with a little patience and some common sense the RCBS unit works just like advertised. for making more than a few hundred at a crack is just a good investment. Do wish I could drop the coin for a Star.. just ain't in the budget.

MT Chambers
01-24-2013, 12:08 AM
Jes a Q, besides Lyman, RCBS, Lachmiller, Star, Seaco, who else mfgs. lubersizers suitable for home use?
Meacham hdwe. not sure of the costs.