PDA

View Full Version : Free lead in Wisconsin

Katya Mullethov
01-03-2013, 08:22 PM
Well actually nowadays , it's a huge "expense" .
http://www.postcrescent.com/article/20130102/APC0902/301020290/Bullets-removed-from-former-firing-range?nclick_check=1

Anybody know how big that berm is ? 70k$ can't be more than 50 feet !

Neenah police used the land as a shooting range free of charge for 50 years before discontinuing the practice in May. The arrangement started in 1962 under landowner John Dorrow and continued under the Noffkes. After the Noffkes died, their estate offered to donate the land to Clayton for a park.

Before that can happen, though, Neenah must remove the lead contaminants from the berm that served as a backstop for firearm practice.

The Noffke estate initially wanted the contaminants removed by this past spring, but the city didn’t budget money for the task. The two sides subsequently agreed that the city will remove the lead by May 2014.

Police Chief Kevin Wilkinson said he hopes Neenah can hire a company that will reclaim the lead to offset the cost of the job.

If that’s not feasible, he said the city would need to spend $70,000 to $75,000 to excavate the contaminated soil and haul it to the Outagamie County landfill.

Lt. Jeff Malcore, one of Neenah’s firearm instructors, said removal of the lead from the land is a small price to pay for decades of free use.

starmac
01-03-2013, 08:38 PM
70,000 doesn't get a whole lot of dirt hauled anywhere.

Jailer
01-03-2013, 11:12 PM
"contaminated" with an element that occurs naturally.....in the ground. :roll:

snuffy
01-04-2013, 12:55 AM
Hey, I know where that range is! My brother is a retired Neenah cop, I went with him while he practiced for his pistol team.

IIRC is is real small, the berm is MAYBE 75 feet long and has ten firing points. It's been 40 years since I was there, so it's a bit cloudy in the memories.

starmac
01-04-2013, 01:16 AM
What would you contaminate any ground with that didn't originally come out of the ground. lol

If it has been there for years and the berm never added too, you should be able to run the top two feet through a screen fairly cheap, and get quite a bit of lead.