PDA

View Full Version : Perpetual Score?

Catsmith
01-03-2013, 08:04 PM
I told my brother-in-law a few weeks ago to save me lead from his plumbing work. Saw him at Christmas and he handed me these two pieces of pipe. 11.5 lbs. He asked if that was enough and I told him I would take all he would save me. he and his son laughed and said they probably have thrown away a few tons away over the years. they finally figured out i was serious when i was asking where they had been throwing it out. lol they said they would save it for me.

it is SOFT. i have to figure out how to use it if i start getting alot of it.

Jailer
01-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Either melt it down and mix it 50/50 with wheel weights or trade it off for usable alloy.

Catsmith
01-03-2013, 08:56 PM
i have been learning with coww and 1% tin. i was planning on using that in 38 and 3030. would i be better off 50/50?

captaint
01-04-2013, 10:21 AM
Cat - I have been shooting 50/clip ons and 50/softer lead in my 38's for some time. Been working great. The only pistol I currently use straight WW's in is my 9mm's.
Can't say about the 30/30. Using gas checks ?? Velocities higher or lower ?? Anyway, I add a little tin for fillout and been good to go.. Hope this helps. Mike

2wheelDuke
01-04-2013, 12:16 PM
Like others said, you could easily trade some off for some harder lead. Blend it with linotype, Rotometals Superhard, or other hard alloy to fit what you want. A little bit of typemetal would sweeten that up for most pistol rounds.

Look for the sticky thread about the alloy calculator. You should be able to consider your pipe lead as pure and get some pretty close estimates for blending your own alloy. Just keep your temps under 750 and flux well with sawdust to keep your "good stuff" alloying in instead of oxidizing out to be skimmed off.

Catsmith
01-04-2013, 08:49 PM
i think this is gnna work out nice. he called and said to come by he has more:drinks:

btroj
01-04-2013, 10:28 PM
Has anyone else mentioned jealousy? If not, I will. You have an awesome source there, take care of it.