PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Fed Ex question

41 mag fan
01-03-2013, 05:37 PM
Hoping to get some input. Finally getting ready to ship my 500 back to Smith to fix the auto indexing problem. I noticed on the shipping label Fed Ex claims you have to let the driver know it's a firearm.

Does anyone do this when they ship thru them?

fecmech
01-03-2013, 05:57 PM
Call 1800 go fedex and ask.

wallenba
01-03-2013, 06:02 PM
I had to return my Walther PPK/S to S&W for a recall. IIRC, I too was informed to tell them it was a firearm. I had to take mine to the local Fedex hub though.

41 mag fan
01-03-2013, 06:50 PM
I could schedule a pickup..on my email from Smith it says to inform Fed Ex driver.
Calling fed Ex would give me that exact same thing as is on the email shipping label.

o6Patient
01-03-2013, 08:38 PM
Yes you do have to declare it is a firearm. You cannot mark on the outside of the package
that it contains a fire arm. A hand gun can only be shipped fed ex express-cannot be shipped
"ground". That is my understanding and I hope it helps.

TCLouis
01-03-2013, 11:05 PM
last thing I had to ship back does not even have "Arms" in their receiving address and said ship Fed Ex. Don't say what is in the box.

It came back unmarked, adult signature required UPS.

Guess if ya don't tell em what is in the box, they don't disappear somewhere along the route!

NVcurmudgeon
01-04-2013, 02:38 AM
I don't like UPS very much, so use FedEx fairly often. Prices seem about the same, service better, and two or three years ago when I sent a revolver to Colt I could choose overnight, or two day air at a saving. I believe UPS demands overnight for all handgun shipping. Yes, you have to declare on the shipping document, but not mark the box.

SP5315
01-04-2013, 09:19 AM
FedEx will want you to bring it to one of their over the counter drop off locations if you don't have a FFL. They will not accept this at a Fedex Office. DO NOT MARK THE PACKAGE AS A FIREARM, bu t you do have to tell them the package contains a firearm. These packages go into their security cage and everyone at FedEx who handles it must sign for it. Kind of like a chain of custody in case it goes missing. Make sure that you get a tended receipt for it.