PDA

View Full Version : I can not beleave the buying going on

Fly
01-03-2013, 11:16 AM
I can not beleave the buying going on with guns & ammo right now.It has NEVER been
like this ever.You can't even hardly find a Mosin Nagant.I used to buy alot of my surplus
ammo, from ammoman.com.They have shut down for the time being, for they have nothing
to sell, until they can get new shipments.

It's crazy.Just about every handgun is sold on alot of these sites.

Fly:coffeecom

RMK79
01-03-2013, 11:51 AM
I understand why the AR-15 and AK-47 type weapons are selling out along with the ammo for them. I don't understand why old surplus rifles and a lot of the pistols and revolvers are selling out.

square butte
01-03-2013, 11:55 AM
If they decide to make AR's, AK's, and semi auto's illeagal or more difficult to own - What are you gonna go to after that. Pretty much explains it. Plan for the worst - Hope for the Best. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Am sure we've heard all those kind of sayings from the men that raised us.

zuke
01-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Check out these thread's

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?177466-A-win-for-Illinois-gun-owner-s-!!!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?177299-Heads-up-Illinois-members

RMK79
01-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Check out these thread's

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?177466-A-win-for-Illinois-gun-owner-s-!!!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?177299-Heads-up-Illinois-members

I don't have access to those threads yet [smilie=b:

fouronesix
01-03-2013, 12:09 PM
It is nutty for certain. I just scratched my itch for a "military assault rifle" by buying an original M1861 US musket. Been looking for a good one for quite a while. Found it, had greatly reduced Christmas sale price tag, will be shipped to my door, no BG check, no paperwork, no FFL transfer, got plenty of ammo (BP, caps, minie mold). No lines, no waiting, no frustration- No worries :)

1Shirt
01-03-2013, 12:21 PM
This is one of those time will tell propositions!
1Shirt!

x101airborne
01-03-2013, 12:30 PM
I feel silly doing it, but I too am soaking up all I can afford. I just cannot believe the price gouging. It is crazy.

RMK79
01-03-2013, 01:16 PM
I may be stupid for it, but I'm taking advantage of the high prices and selling a lot of magazines

farmallcrew
01-03-2013, 01:37 PM
In the city's and suburbs panic!!!!!! Out here in the country our gun shops are still full and well below price gouging. The gun shops around here are mom and pop, and will only shop there unless Walmart beats their prices on new guns.

Happy happy happy to live in the sticks!!!!!

madsenshooter
01-03-2013, 01:55 PM
It is nutty for certain. I just scratched my itch for a "military assault rifle" by buying an original M1861 US musket. Been looking for a good one for quite a while. Found it, had greatly reduced Christmas sale price tag, will be shipped to my door, no BG check, no paperwork, no FFL transfer, got plenty of ammo (BP, caps, minie mold). No lines, no waiting, no frustration- No worries :)

I'm in line with this thinking. Most of my Krags are antiques, model 1892 or 1896. That has me thinking about selling the 6x45 AR and putting a 6mm barrel on a 96 Krag receiver. I already have the dies and chamber reamer to make a 6mm/30-40AI. Twist on the Remington barrel isn't as tight as the AR's Obermeyer and I should have an easier time getting it to shoot.

bcp477
01-04-2013, 09:25 PM
It's the collateral effect on other items, such as hand loading supplies, that I resent. The stuff is already disappearing.....and the prices are climbing.

The situation will probably stabilize in a few month's time, but until then, those of us who couldn't care less about "assault rifles", etc. must suffer for the insanity of others. Buying what you need for normal use is one thing - but "hoarding" is another - and hoarding is detestable behavior.

RMK79
01-04-2013, 11:47 PM
It's the collateral effect on other items, such as hand loading supplies, that I resent. The stuff is already disappearing.....and the prices are climbing.

The situation will probably stabilize in a few month's time, but until then, those of us who couldn't care less about "assault rifles", etc. must suffer for the insanity of others. Buying what you need for normal use is one thing - but "hoarding" is another - and hoarding is detestable behavior.

What constitutes "normal use"? One persons normal use could be considered hoarding to another. I'm hoarding as much money as I can in a retirement account to use in another 40 years. Is this detestable behavior?

Buckshot
01-05-2013, 03:35 AM
..............It's my birthday this month so Midway sends the "We're thinking of you" e-mail type deal. I had nothing in particular that I'm needing but just kind of mindlessly cruising the "Closeouts" section. I begin to notice brass. It's listed in the clearance section but it says, "out of stock-NO BACKORDERS. Yeah I know it's panic time again, so I set up and started really looking around and decided I'm really glad I'm not in need of anything 8-)

............Buckshot

wellfedirishman
01-05-2013, 12:17 PM
It's a great time to sell off extra AR stuff and buy C&R and antique surplus guns. Wideners, AIM, and Century had some really nice condition Mosin M44 carbines and Chinese Type 56 SKS rifles quite cheap over the past month ($200 a pop approx).

Ed in North Texas
01-06-2013, 10:51 AM
..............It's my birthday this month so Midway sends the "We're thinking of you" e-mail type deal. I had nothing in particular that I'm needing but just kind of mindlessly cruising the "Closeouts" section. I begin to notice brass. It's listed in the clearance section but it says, "out of stock-NO BACKORDERS. Yeah I know it's panic time again, so I set up and started really looking around and decided I'm really glad I'm not in need of anything 8-)

............Buckshot

Happy Birthday and I wish you many, many more.

But what does "need" have to do with guns? :drinks:

Ed

Ed in North Texas
01-06-2013, 10:52 AM
It's a great time to sell off extra AR stuff and buy C&R and antique surplus guns. Wideners, AIM, and Century had some really nice condition Mosin M44 carbines and Chinese Type 56 SKS rifles quite cheap over the past month ($200 a pop approx).

The 44s that Widener's had were spectacular - notice I said "had". They disappeared in a heartbeat.

Ed

Fly
01-06-2013, 04:43 PM

Go check them out now.AIM doe's not have a single Mosin Nagant, much less a SKS.Hell they sold out of mosin Nagant surplus ammo.

Fly:Fire:

zuke
01-06-2013, 08:10 PM

............Buckshot

Happy Birthday!! :happy dance: :drinks:

Ole
01-06-2013, 08:48 PM
I have sold all my factory 5.56 ammo stash in the past couple weeks at fair (for the market) prices. I had 3 cases of IMI M193/M855 that I bought for a rainy day (I shoot reloaded ammo 99% of the time in my 5.56 rifles) but if someone wants to pay me $.50/round for my ammo, they can have it all at that price. Also sold my SS109 bullets at over $.20 each (paid $.09 each) and am selling the last of my Yugo M67 brass-cased 7.62x39.

Might buy a Socom or similar rifle with the funds after the dust settles. :mrgreen: I did replace some of the bullets I sold with Hornady 69/75 grain match bullets for less than I sold the SS109's.

Ed in North Texas
01-07-2013, 06:44 PM
Go check them out now.AIM doe's not have a single Mosin Nagant, much less a SKS.Hell they sold out of mosin Nagant surplus ammo.

Fly:Fire:

I left a "notify me" with my favorite surplus ammo dealer for the 7.62x54R when they sold out. Got an e-Mail mid-day, 5PM they were sold out. Haunted the site for a few days, bingo - 187 cases (2 tins, no wood - in cardboard) of Bulgarian light ball. Bought one, the next morning they did still have some - 8 cases. Gone in an hour. It's crazy.

Ed

MtGun44
01-07-2013, 11:14 PM
Same as when Obummer was first elected.

Bill

fouronesix
01-13-2013, 05:01 PM

Above posted on 1-3-13, and this is what arrived at my door the other day. 150 years of a few small wood dings, perfect bore and no evidence of firing on the nipple or around the bolster. Now if the terrible weather would cooperate will go out and fire a few minies down range!

bfuller14
01-13-2013, 05:18 PM
Obumer is the best gun salesman.

cdet69
01-13-2013, 06:26 PM
Whent to Cabelas today in CT. No primers, No 22 bullets and only 20 or so boxes of 223 ammo. Plus most other popular rifle calibers were sold out in both ammo and components. They were also getting low on powder.

Love Life
01-13-2013, 09:26 PM
Bartering is where it is at right now. I quit selling and barter and make out like a fat rat.

runfiverun
01-14-2013, 12:56 AM
wow... living in a small town on the road to nowhere seems to have benefits.
i think i'll walk down to the corner and buy some 223 varmint bullets tomorrow.
bout 3 months to varmint time.

Ole
01-14-2013, 11:16 PM
Check this one out:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=325719313

Check out how many bidders thought those 3 .22 value packs were worth more than $150. :veryconfu

Heavy lead
01-14-2013, 11:21 PM
And at the same time I simply stole a Old Model Super Blackhawk without the transfer bar last week for less than a new one manufactured in 68, in fabulous shape, also a 7 mag A bolt in unshot condition.
I've loaded up on AR's, ammunition and components last summer and winter so I'm set.
You can find deals, just look for the bolt, levers and single actions now, while everone is paying 3 times the amount for AR's.

fouronesix
01-15-2013, 01:41 AM
I've had an order in to Midsouth for a full 7 days. Stuff that really isn't related to the current black rifle/pistol and ammo buying madness. I was beginning to wonder about the order being lost in the madness... then about 10PM Midsouth time I received the "Shipped" email confirmation. That tells me they are indeed working overtime to process orders.

Baron von Trollwhack
01-15-2013, 05:21 AM
For those citizens not armed to current lawful standards of rifle excellence, who have chosen the M-N as their militia or sport rifle for whatever reason, it is a positive thing to note that the arm itself can often be tuned to shoot to a Garand/Mauser/Springfield acceptable military standard of accuracy. The ammo too can be greatly improved from surplus standards by reloading. Historically, these were very good weapons.

BvT

P.K.
01-15-2013, 07:15 AM
For those citizens not armed to current lawful standards of rifle excellence, who have chosen the M-N as their militia or sport rifle for whatever reason, it is a positive thing to note that the arm itself can often be tuned to shoot to a Garand/Mauser/Springfield acceptable military standard of accuracy. The ammo too can be greatly improved from surplus standards by reloading. Historically, these were very good weapons.

BvTMake it quick, Mitchell's Mauser's is getting ready to turn on the lights and yell, "Last Call!" on pre-war and war-production K-98's.

bob208
01-15-2013, 10:32 AM
since the o was first hoisted upond us. people have asked me what rifle should i get ? i would tell them a m-n 91/30 and a case of ammo or two if they could aford it. many did.

pumbaajk
01-15-2013, 11:45 AM
this truly is crazy. I saw a GB auction on a barret for 90k. i dont think it sold but still.

ebner glocken
01-15-2013, 01:05 PM
Check this one out:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=325719313

Check out how many bidders thought those 3 .22 value packs were worth more than $150. :veryconfu

They sold for $251.00! The last case lots of that very same stuff I bought for almost $12 bucks a box around 4 years ago. The last time I seen it in walmart it was around 18-19 bucks a box. Raw materials have went up sence then but not THAT much. I think the moral to the story is that hording promotes hording, a self fulfulling prophacy, and stupid market fluctuations. Buy when it's cheap and keep enough on hand that you will use to get you through these stupid times.

Ebner

P.K.
01-15-2013, 01:59 PM
They sold for $251.00! The last case lots of that very same stuff I bought for almost $12 bucks a box around 4 years ago. The last time I seen it in walmart it was around 18-19 bucks a box. Raw materials have went up sence then but not THAT much. I think the moral to the story is that hording promotes hording, a self fulfulling prophacy, and stupid market fluctuations. Buy when it's cheap and keep enough on hand that you will use to get you through these stupid times.

Ebner

You forgot the part about never ever selling. ;-)

xacex
01-17-2013, 03:03 PM
Heck, at those prices I may give up a few boxes[smilie=1:

I am still getting the golden bullets out here for 17.89$ a box, but they limit me to two boxes at a time.

Jack Stanley
01-18-2013, 01:49 PM
It may be crazy that people judge others by their own use requirements but they do . To someone who only fires a hundred rounds of rimfire a year ( and thinks he shot enough to take over a banana republic ) . I would look like a hoarder even though I fired over seven thousand rounds of rimfire last year .

To someone who has only fired two magazines out of their pistol an IDPA shooter going through two cases of ammo a month is insane . The family that hasn't shot their bolt action rifle in the last year just can't see the "need" for an semi-auto anything .

If we are going to base our society on what someone else thinks an individual needs or does to supply themselves . Something has seriously changed from what Americans have been in the past . Just so ya know guys , I'm happy you have what ya do and if I like it , I don't want to steal or cheat you out of it . I'll go buy one of my own if I like it that much and we can enjoy them together . Perhaps the rest of our countrymen would be happier if they would spend more time at the rifle range .

Jack

Doc65
01-18-2013, 02:25 PM
I was in Kent's shooters supply earlier. They actually hazel his pictue hanging with the phrase "Gun Salesman of the Year" my first reading was "Statesman"
Knew that was t right so had to re-read a couple times...

Obumer is the best gun salesman.

Bob Busetti
01-18-2013, 04:38 PM
In this morning's paper, someone had 223 fmj for .80 a round & 45 acp for .60 a round. Crazy is right.
Bob

Doc1
01-21-2013, 12:22 AM

You are on a very slippery slope, my friend! There is not a thing in the world wrong with hoarding. A couple of months ago, you could've "hoarded" all the bullets, brass or primers you wanted to and no one would've given it a second thought. Now that there are shortages, the supposed hoarders are detestible? It's supposed to be a free country. No one puts a gun to your head and tells you what or how much to buy. If you were lucky or smart enough to buy a thousand AR mags last year and now you are sitting on a gold mine, I say more power to you! Free enterprise, baby!

The ill-will towards hoarding invariably leads to big government laws and enforcement of what is allegedly "fair."

Best regards
Doc

P.K.
01-21-2013, 09:45 PM
Local farm store, Remington .45ACP $44.00 a box...The cheap stuff.

Ole
01-22-2013, 12:09 AM
Dumbest thing I've seen to date:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=326287908

Yes, someone bid $83 for 100 empty cases of FC .223 brass.

wellfedirishman
01-22-2013, 01:42 AM
Holy Carp (the fish, not the bad word)! I have a couple of 5 gallon buckets of 223 brass I need to put on Gunbroker pronto :)

Do those cases come with tactical air inside or something?

uscra112
01-22-2013, 06:48 AM
Last November I bought powder and primers in bulk, and back then I was an evil hoarder. Now I'm just a guy with 20-20 foresight! Heck, I'm still holding a few bricks of .22 rimfire that I bought during the Clinton administration.

P.K.
01-22-2013, 07:28 AM
Last November I bought powder and primers in bulk, and back then I was an evil hoarder. Now I'm just a guy with 20-20 foresight! Heck, I'm still holding a few bricks of .22 rimfire that I bought during the Clinton administration.

If any of those are the white box Winchester Wildcat hold on to 'em. Cabela's wants $14.00X 50!
http://www.cabelas.com/rifle-ammunition-winchester-22-ammunition-1.shtml

Sheesh, I thought 40 gr. HP's for my WMR were pricey...

NSP64
01-22-2013, 07:34 AM
Getting ready for the uprising.

uscra112
01-22-2013, 09:42 AM
If any of those are the white box Winchester Wildcat hold on to 'em. Cabela's wants $14.00X 50!
http://www.cabelas.com/rifle-ammunition-winchester-22-ammunition-1.shtml

Sheesh, I thought 40 gr. HP's for my WMR were pricey...

Scroll down. Those ARE .22 WMR rounds. They've got the picture wrong in the listing. WEBMASTER! Cleanup on aisle seventeen!

Bummer ! I've got nearly a whole brick of the white box .22 LR ammo. I was ready to throw a party.

uscra112
01-22-2013, 09:47 AM

For Federal. Now, Remington I could see it. Even more for Norma. But Federal is the red-headed stepchild, in the same league with Bertram in my book.

Jack Stanley
01-22-2013, 11:11 AM
Just watch though , when I set up at the show next month the walkers will be wailing that my stuff is priced to high . Silly them ...... if I priced it any lower the dealers will buy it off the table before the show starts . Hmmmmm .... now that's an idea , normally they don't gripe about it they just lay down the cash .

Jack

TNsailorman
01-22-2013, 01:26 PM
I just got back from Wally world and the ammo shelves were all but bare. There was 2 boxes of 230gr. ball .45acp, 5 boxes of 30-06(all high dollar stuff), 2 boxes of .300 Win. mag, and 1 box of .300 weatherby. That was all I saw except for shotshell. I did not see any .22lr but thery normally put it kindda out of sight anyway. And the beat goes on.

phaessler
01-23-2013, 10:26 PM
Same as when Obummer was first elected.

Bill

Exactly, marching to his own beat now, as opposed to " no interest in taking anyones guns" from his first run. I sleep well knowing I tried to do my part.
I remember the Clinton era too, was just as scary. Except I fear there is no sunset on this round.

MtGun44
01-24-2013, 12:54 AM
Weird that you are down on Fed brass. I bought 4000 of once fired FC .223 a long time ago and it
is sterling brass, accurate and durable, never an issue.

Bill

Ed in North Texas
01-24-2013, 08:42 AM
It may be crazy that people judge others by their own use requirements but they do . To someone who only fires a hundred rounds of rimfire a year ( and thinks he shot enough to take over a banana republic ) . I would look like a hoarder even though I fired over seven thousand rounds of rimfire last year .

To someone who has only fired two magazines out of their pistol an IDPA shooter going through two cases of ammo a month is insane . The family that hasn't shot their bolt action rifle in the last year just can't see the "need" for an semi-auto anything .

If we are going to base our society on what someone else thinks an individual needs or does to supply themselves . Something has seriously changed from what Americans have been in the past . Just so ya know guys , I'm happy you have what ya do and if I like it , I don't want to steal or cheat you out of it . I'll go buy one of my own if I like it that much and we can enjoy them together . Perhaps the rest of our countrymen would be happier if they would spend more time at the rifle range .

Jack

A whole lot has changed just in the last 4 to 5 decades (OK, 50 years might seem like a long time to a lot of folks on the forum). The country would be far better if people looked at the world the way you do. Unfortunately relatively conservative people usually want to be left alone, while Liberal/Progressive (exactly the same, just trying to hide what they are) people know what is good for everybody else (but often don't wish to live by the rules they want/make).

Ed

Del-Ray
01-24-2013, 09:04 AM
To those saying this is like when dear leader was first elected, not true. This is way worse. My gun shop has two out of four handgun cases empty! If it wasn't for us paying top dollar for used they would all be empty! No semi auto rifles over 22. All the popular reloading weights gone. I ordered three cases of varget just a day after the election. Gone.

Much of the ammo hoarding didn't happen until he talked about raising a tax on ammo and components. My OCD saves me again. All I know is if they pass a ten times ammo tax I am selling half my stash, will still have plenty to shoot and will be able to buy another house!

Thank you obummer.

xacex
01-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Walmart apparently is suspending sales of ammunition until whatever ban passes"not going to happen." This is not firsthand" I don't shop there", but from a trusted friend who is there every time they get an order in.

xacex
01-24-2013, 02:44 PM
Who do you want to believe? A lying corporate snake, or a minion who didn't know to keep his mouth shut on what was happening. Rumor?

http://www.wnd.com/2013/01/walmart-responds-to-suspended-ammo-story/

bigbear
01-26-2013, 01:35 PM

That's the conclusion I draw from all this, great for the economy. If you step back and look at the real politik, very little is actually going to change with your laws, if the dem's can't get money to run the Gov't for more than 3 month's at a time, they for sure won't be able to pass any of the laws everybody is so heated up about. It's a mob mentality issue. I am frightened though as to how things would go if there was ever a real shortage of food or clean water in such a society, scary....

ebner glocken
01-27-2013, 07:37 PM
For starters..... I don't work at walmart, never did, and probably never will. If walmart is consistant about one thing it is making money off of just about any product that's legal and in high demand. Sometimes they know demand is comming ie: toys at christmas, turkeys around thanksgiving etc... Walmart has no problem making money off any product in high demand, ammo is no different. The difference is they had no foresight a few months ago to prepare for this. Demand by far exceeded current stocks in inventory and ability to replenish stocks. It all happened w/o warning and in a couple of weeks.

I was in walmart today and they had federal 55 FMJs for 8.04 /20. PPU Serbian 55 grain FMJ was 7.?? /20 (personally I'm not impressed with this ****). Clerk told me they had a huge shipment of .22s the night before and they was gone in 3 hours (limit 3 boxes per customer for demand). Amazingly most of the walmarts in my area are very well stocked with 30/06. At the moment 5.56 is spuratic, 9mm is impossible, .308 not at walmart. But I'm pretty sure it isn't because walmarts lack of ordering replacement stock, it's a matter of demand at this current time and ability to replenish.

The good side of this is the market will eventually stabalize as most markets do. When everyone has all the ammo they can stuff in their houses or afford demand will stabalize, shelves will be replenished, and this spot market auction scalpers of ammo will cease. Today I gave .40 a round for ammo that has been sold for $1 a round here lately from scalpers.

Ebner

Jack Stanley
01-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Ebner there may be a silver lining in that theory ... all those guys stuffing the closets probably won't be buying more ammo when the prices come back down . Then , the guys that plan ahead can go back to getting large amounts and a reasonable deal .

Jack

ebner glocken
01-28-2013, 02:40 PM
Ebner there may be a silver lining in that theory ... all those guys stuffing the closets probably won't be buying more ammo when the prices come back down . Then , the guys that plan ahead can go back to getting large amounts and a reasonable deal .

Jack
Jack, we're exactly on the same page. Most of us here lived through the 94 crime bill, two terms of Clinton, Y2K, and two Obama elections. To be quite honest this is the craziest I have ever seen buying but once again, it will stabalize. At the moment I am amply stocked up besides a few odds and ends. I wouldn't mind having another sleeve of CCI #34s, but oh well, I'll get buy off of what I have. Yes, I did buy my 3 boxes of 55 grain american eagle for 8.04, this isn't because I need it. This is trading materal to someone that has something I want, ie CCI 34s. If I get no takers I'll get buy on what I have and get the primers when they come back down. I can live in a barter economy but I refuse to be scalped.

Ebner

gwozdz
02-03-2013, 11:22 AM
What I can't believe is 223 ammo going for over a buck a round if you can find any. I'm glad I reloaded for this panic. I can chew up a lot of it at the range.

Ole
02-07-2013, 11:07 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130847344178?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

Yowzers!

hd09
02-07-2013, 12:14 PM
Very scary and stupid buying. Hope it settles down.

halbautomatisch
02-07-2013, 12:15 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130847344178?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

Yowzers!$150 for a $30 shell plate that will never be banned.......what is this world coming too?:killingpc

mold maker
02-07-2013, 12:21 PM

Yowzers!

Bet the seller wishes he had a few more.
It's nuts out there.

Ole
02-07-2013, 12:35 PM
Bet the seller wishes he had a few more.
It's nuts out there.

It's the only one I had. :mrgreen:

I have 3 ammo cans full of .223 so I think I can hold out until they become available again.

dualsport
02-07-2013, 12:49 PM
What's the cheapest ar out there and who has it? I'm not shopping, thinking of selling.

Kraschenbirn
02-07-2013, 01:29 PM
What's the cheapest ar out there and who has it? I'm not shopping, thinking of selling.

Just came back from having coffee with a fellow who was mulling over the same question. Seems like he's got an original (pre-ban) Colt H-Bar sitting in his safe that hasn't been fired in over 10 years and he's considering turning it into cash before our beloved governor and/or legislature attempt something really stupid. He's a Distinguished Master handgunner who says he hasn't got any use for the AR since he no longer shoots 3-gun matches. I told him to check around for new prices on current production clones and then add 10%-15% 'cause there's always someone out there with more money than brains.

Bill

jimb16
02-07-2013, 05:13 PM
And my lgs has just about everything in stock, including 4 ARs on the rack at normal prices. Plenty of ammo of all kinds and lots of powder and j-words. Racks are pretty full too. I picked up an extra 2000 209 primers at $29.99/thou. I go through a lot of those. Their selection of powders was a little low, but they were expecting another shipment yesterday. But what they had, they had plenty of.... And before you ask, Great Lakes Outdoor Supply, Middlefield Ohio.

Char-Gar
02-07-2013, 06:17 PM
I was born in 1942 and started handloading in the late 50's. The guys I hunted, loaded and shot with were all older and told stories of what shooting was like in WWII. There were no guns and only a little ammo if you were a farmer or rancher. Shooting wise, WWII was a "come as you are" party. Hearing those horror stories, I have always kept a good stash of power, primers, brass, lead and gas checks on hand..just in case something like that happened again.

Well, it has happened again, but this time it was not the Japs, it was our own goverment. The shortages of guns and ammo has never been as great since WWII. This will smooth our sooner or later, but it will take several years.

Ole
02-10-2013, 12:27 AM
Here's a laugher: :lol:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221186499756?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

Several people are bidding on empty .223 ammo boxes. Shipped price is over 80 cents each!

Can't afford actual ammo? Buy the cardboard ammo boxes!

Seller is truly brilliant! We were foolishly throwing these away all these years! :mrgreen:

skimmerhead
02-10-2013, 12:43 AM
the sad part about this is not only the short supply of everything, it's also the price gougeing going on. i hope i'm wrong but i believe it's gonna get worse before it gets better, one thing's for certain it woun't be the same.

skimmerhead

Ole
02-10-2013, 12:47 AM
Skimmerhead I think what's going on tells you how weak the US dollar really is. I think I'm buying some more gold or silver on Monday.

skimmerhead
02-10-2013, 12:56 AM
Skimmerhead I think what's going on tells you how weak the US dollar really is. I think I'm buying some more gold or silver on Monday. a couple years or so back when the price of gold dropped to 715.00 an ounce i wanted to invest 20,000 dollars in gold my wife nearly had a cow! the first time iv'e ever listened to her in my life. lesson learned! never listen to her again!!
skimmerhead

P.K.
02-10-2013, 07:45 AM
Skimmerhead I think what's going on tells you how weak the US dollar really is. I think I'm buying some more gold or silver on Monday.

I started fooling around with that, started with gram weights and it's progressed. Stay away from the coins unless it's "Junk" and then get them. Some of the numismatist's on there are nuts. (Flea-bay.)

mold maker
02-10-2013, 10:55 AM
a couple years or so back when the price of gold dropped to 715.00 an ounce i wanted to invest 20,000 dollars in gold my wife nearly had a cow! the first time iv'e ever listened to her in my life. lesson learned! never listen to her again!!
skimmerhead

I didn't ask my wife, and she's glad I didn't. She would have had the same opinion as yours. Bought at slightly under $800. oz troy and sold at $1966. Bought again at $1233. and am holding. I still have 2 nuggets that I bought at $460., that I'm saving for old times sake.
Gold can only increase (long term) from now on, our "Gov" will see to that.

Ohio Rusty
02-10-2013, 11:27 AM
I went to a local PRO gun show yesterday and the prices were crazy and over the top. $995 for 1000 rounds of PMC .223. That is silly. It seeems what ever prices used to be .... automatically double it an that was the show price. I didn't spend much. a partial box of .44 mags for 8 bucks and some BP wonderlube and felt wads for my cap-n-ball pistol. It wasn't worth the 1/2 hour standing in line in the cold to get in.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Ole
02-10-2013, 01:44 PM
I started fooling around with that, started with gram weights and it's progressed. Stay away from the coins unless it's "Junk" and then get them. Some of the numismatist's on there are nuts. (Flea-bay.)

Yeah I have a little bullion at home, but hold 10 shares of GLD in my Roth IRA. Probably buy another 10 shares tomorrow.

Jtarm
02-10-2013, 03:06 PM
I understand why the AR-15 and AK-47 type weapons are selling out along with the ammo for them. I don't understand why old surplus rifles and a lot of the pistols and revolvers are selling out.

Yeah I recently got into Mil Surp and got on the notify list for a 91/30 at Aim Surplus, then went ahead and bought a hand-select ex-sniper from Family Firearms and Finishes.

I got the email Friday afternoon. Even though I had a great one, I started thinking about the $109 price tag Sat morning, but they were gone. I guess that one kinda makes sense with ammo tight and almost endless cheap 7.62x54r ammo available.

I also got interested in the Star Bs. Robertson trading post puts them on GA at great prices, but they appear to sell within minutes of listing.

Fly
02-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Makes you wonder if our goverments not buying alot of this stuff to get it off the street.

Fly

Crash_Corrigan
02-10-2013, 04:21 PM
I bought two Sig Sauer Sp2022's in 9MM for myself and my ex last week. Each came with only one magazine. Then I started to look around for magazines. Midway and all the other vendors had none in stock and backorders were not accepted. I asked Midway to notify me when they came in. They did notify me but between the time I received the notification and when I went to the Midway website to order them a whole 8 hours passed. When I got on the website they were out of stock again. Again I asked Midway to notify me re the Sig mags. They did @0900 and I opened the email at 1300 hrs. Again when I got to Midway they were out of stock. This time within 4 hours.

I finally went on the auction websites and people were shameless and asking $100 a piece for a magazine that Midway had for $40. I found a listing for 2 magazines for $99.95 and I bid and won the item. Then I learned that the posting was for 1 magazine for $99.95 not two. I refused them. I finally found a listing for 4 new SP 2022 mags for $320 and I bit the bullet.

I needed the mags so each weapon would have three magazines. Who knows if a 15 round 9 MM magazine will be available anytime in the near future with the porch monkey we have in DC now?

As for ammo I have been making my own for years and casting my own boolits also since '95 and I will NOT be buying any 9 MM or any other kinds of ammo for any of my guns other than 12 Gauge shotgun rounds in the future.

After the last fiasco when we could not get primers I latched onto 50,000 primers of all types and they are stockpiled for my shooting needs along with over 2 tons of lead. I have over 2,000 cases of pretty much everything I load for in ammo cases stashed all over my home.

I just needed those magazines so I bit the bullet and bought them. In the meantime I am going to buy some Gold with my extra funds cuz I fear that this present stock market is gonna crash and burn pretty soon and along with that the value of our Dollar will also plunge. I presently have 6 semi autos in 9MM caliber. I will always keep 3 of them and maybe in the darkest days of the future the Browning HI POWER, EAA WITNESS AND RUGER CONVERTIBLE BH could be used for barter in a fallen society.

I also have a flintlock and ample stocks of flints and raw materials to make BP when guns and ammo are all a dim memory in the future.

I have not a whit of confidence in the present leadership and congress.

Jtarm
02-10-2013, 05:02 PM
[QUOTE=Char-Gar;2047559]There were no guns and only a little ammo if you were a farmer or rancher. Shooting wise, WWII was a "come as you are" party. Hearing those horror stories, I have always kept a good stash of power, primers, brass, lead and gas checks on hand..just in case something like that happened again.Y

Yep. That's how Speer, Hornady, and I think RCBS got started. Vernon Speer, Joyce Hornady, and Fred Huntington started swaging their own varmint bullets out of spent .22 lr brass.

Wasn't just shooting, but just about everything. Imagine nowadays if you could scarcely by gas, new tires, groceries, etc. Among my family keepsakes is a certificate from FDR thanking my grandmother for heading the rationing board in their tiny West Texas town. Also found lots of rationing coupons among their things. Folks who lived through the depression then WWII never threw out anything

Jtarm
02-10-2013, 05:34 PM
$150 for a $30 shell plate that will never be banned.......what is this world coming too?:killingpc

I don't think the fear is the plate will be banned (though what I've seen lately, I'll believe anything.) I suspect reloaders who have never loaded .223, 9mm, etc are buying them for fear the round will be banned. Some may even be thinking of selling their handloads.

I won't buy of FeeBay, anyhow. There's always stupid money bidding stuff up.

Ole
02-11-2013, 10:56 PM
Yep we may have finally gone full retard. LOL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hornady-Lock-n-Load-Shell-Plate-8-9mm-30-38-/360584341786?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f480691a

I think I paid right around that much for my whole press.

Think about how the poor guy feels that bid $300.01 and DIDN'T win. :mrgreen:

Shiloh
02-12-2013, 12:05 AM

Market forces at work. Surplus curio and relics are just caught up in the frenzy.
Folks are panic buying. There is a lot more "I better get it now while I still can" than in the previous scares. Folks know Obama wants to take the guns.

Shiloh

Jack Stanley
02-12-2013, 02:41 PM
I saw it for myself saturday at the fun show . One of the vendors had a case of CCI Blazer ammo five hundred rounds to a brick . They were priced at forty-five bucks each and an hour into the show half the case was gone ... one hour later the rest were gone as well . By that yardstick some of you guys are wealthy :drinks: I still had a guy that wanted to give only twenty-five bucks for a full bandoleer of Garand ammo . Maybe I oughta just shoot the stuff myself .

Jack

30calflash
02-12-2013, 03:20 PM
I saw it for myself saturday at the fun show . One of the vendors had a case of CCI Blazer ammo five hundred rounds to a brick . They were priced at forty-five bucks each and an hour into the show half the case was gone ... one hour later the rest were gone as well . By that yardstick some of you guys are wealthy :drinks: I still had a guy that wanted to give only twenty-five bucks for a full bandoleer of Garand ammo . Maybe I oughta just shoot the stuff myself .

Jack

Yeah prices are up and they'll probably stay that way for a long time. CF ammo went up a while back and it was only a matter of time before 22lr did also. Raw materials are high plus demand. Ammo has been under value for years, it's starting to catch up with everything else now. A dollar isn't worth a dollar anymore.

BoolitSchuuter
02-14-2013, 09:41 AM
Just stopped by GB and did some window shopping. Ridiculous asking prices on mags and no takers. Maybe we've reached the high water mark on the panic buying. Or folks are running out of funds.

Ed in North Texas
02-14-2013, 09:49 AM

Yowzers!

Can we take it that you were the beneficiary of that stupidity?

Caught up with your second post now. But someone made out even better with $305!!

As the old supposed Chinese curse has it "May you live in interesting times." - things are getting more and more "interesting" each year.

Ed in North Texas
02-14-2013, 10:13 AM
Yeah prices are up and they'll probably stay that way for a long time. CF ammo went up a while back and it was only a matter of time before 22lr did also. Raw materials are high plus demand. Ammo has been under value for years, it's starting to catch up with everything else now. A dollar isn't worth a dollar anymore.

Depending on what decade is your reference point, the dollar hasn't been worth a dollar in a very long time. It is just sinking in value a lot faster these days as the Fed prints more and more trillions of dollars with nothing of value to back those dollars (what value do you assign to the "full faith and credit" of the US government these days?).

Ohio Rusty
02-18-2013, 11:58 AM
Stopped by Wally World this morning and the ammo shelves were empty. They did have 3 boxes of 7.62x39 Tula FMJ's no one wanted so I bought them. They will work just fine in the new single shot I bought.
I went to a gun show last weekend and the prices of everything were absolutely stupid. Primers were $11.00 a sleeve of 100. I'm glad to have a couple of flintlocks and all the accessories to shoot them. If worse comes to worse ..... I can always load my pistol rounds with pyrodex since there is plenty of Pyrodex and other fake blackpowder on the shelves.. The CAS and SASS shooters have been doing that for years.
Ohio Rusty ><>

wellfedirishman
02-18-2013, 11:38 PM
Same here in CA. I went by Walmart this evening for some 12 ga birdshot (for clay shooting) and they didn't have a single box. They had some 20 ga though so I bought that. I can load my own 12ga anyway.

There was nary a round of 22, 9mm, 40 S&W, 45ACP, or anything resembling a 223. The only rifle round they had in stock was 300 Win Mag.

I think there will be a whole load more casters and reloaders in the near future...

Fly
02-20-2013, 06:21 PM
Is this webb site owned by NBC?
Fly

EDG
02-20-2013, 11:45 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-RCBS-Bench-Mounted-Priming-Tool-Reloading-Press-/261168658607?_trksid=p2047675.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555003%26algo%3DPW.CAT%26ao%3D1%26 asc%3D142%26meid%3D5673475990680036970%26pid%3D100 010%26prg%3D1076%26rk%3D5%26sd%3D130850410783%26

deces
02-21-2013, 12:55 AM
Yep we may have finally gone full retard. LOL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hornady-Lock-n-Load-Shell-Plate-8-9mm-30-38-/360584341786?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f480691a

I think I paid right around that much for my whole press.

Think about how the poor guy feels that bid $300.01 and DIDN'T win. :mrgreen:

Thats shocking

Ed in North Texas
02-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Is this webb site owned by NBC?
Fly

Naw, National Bullet Company folded a while back.

deces
02-22-2013, 12:09 AM
The price of his store's ammunition has more than doubled since mid-December, says Larry Hyatt, owner of Hyatt Gun Shop in Charlotte, N.C., which bills itself "America's Largest Gun Shop."

I spoke to Mr. Hyatt today about the increase in the price of ammunition since mid-December (when the gun control debate began to heat up). Hyatt said that the ammo market is "very volatile" and that he "doesn't know when the next shipment will be."

His best seller right now is .22LR caliber. Gun owners like to shoot this caliber because it is typically a cheaper round and also optimal for target shooting, known as "plinking"

A box containing 500 rounds of .22LR was selling for approximately $20/box back in December. Today, Mr. Hyatt tells me he is selling the same box for $49. This represents a 145 percent increase in price.

We "immediately started rationing" as there are "a lot of unknowns for deliveries of products," Hyatt said.

The 5.56mm was selling for $0.50 a round in mid-December. Today it sells for $1.00/round; a 100 percent increase in price.

Mr. Hyatt also said that 50 rounds of 9mm were selling for $10.99 - but, they're now priced at $24.00 per box. This represents an increase of 118 percent.

Hyatt says the talk around his shop these days is that, next week, it'll cut the number of rounds allowed per purchase in half - and the week after that, they'll just show their customers a picture of a box of ammo.

Hyatt Gun's is located in Charlotte, N.C. and is known as "America's Largest Gun Shop."
http://cnsnews.com/blog/gregory-gwyn-williams-jr/ammo-prices-have-doubled-december-americas-largest-gun-shop

deces
02-22-2013, 12:12 AM
I hear stories of people selling 223 for $1 per round at gunshows:killingpc

tiwimon
02-22-2013, 11:31 AM
I think $1 per round is about the norm now for retailers and individual sellers like on armslist

The shocking thing is how quick reloading gear is showing up out of stock now - or on flea bay and gun broker at stratospheric prices - is this worse than 2008?

I hear stories of people selling 223 for $1 per round at gunshows:killingpc

deces
02-22-2013, 05:46 PM
Ive not bought ammo in about 3 years so idk, one thing I have noticed is when I go to wildcat shooting locations people have really been picking up after them selves. Last time I came back with two .308 shells three .270 and some a handful of berdan 8mm (all sun blackened). So I opted to pick up spent lead, about 13lbs melted. Things are absolutely drying up, even the forest service is being restrictive of where people can shoot due to their environmental impact studies, things are getting out of control on the southwest front how about yours?

Kraschenbirn
02-22-2013, 06:19 PM
'Round these parts, some folks would call $1/round for U.S.-mfg commercial .223 a bargain...if there were any to be had! Haven't seen .223 on anyone's shelves - LGS or Big Box Stores - since early January. Last week, in a small shop down south of here, 250-round bulk-paks of Rem. .45 ACP (230 gr. FMJs) were tagged for $239.95 and the guy behind the counter said the three boxes on the shelf were all he had left from a full case.

Bill

deces
02-22-2013, 07:59 PM
A growing number of firearm and firearm-related companies have stated they will no longer sell items to states, counties, cities and municipalities that restrict their citizens' rights to own them.

According to The Police Loophole, 34 companies have joined in publicly stating that governments who seek to restrict 2nd Amendment rights will themselves be restricted from purchasing the items they seek to limit or ban.

Extreme Firepower Inc., located in Inwood, WV has had a longstanding policy that states:

"The Federal Government and several states have enacted gun control laws that restrict the public from owning and possessing certain types of firearms...If a product that we manufacture is not legal for a private citizen to own in a jurisdiction, we will not sell that product to a law-enforcement agency in that jurisdiction."

York Arms, located in Buxton, ME released a statement following new legislation in New York:

"Based on the recent legislation in New York, we are prohibited from selling rifles and receivers to residents of New York. We have chosen to extend that prohibition to all governmental agencies associated with or located within New York."

Quality Arms, located in Rigby, ID writes on their website, "elected officials have their own agenda to circumnavigate the truth and destroy the constitution of the United States."

The site states: "Quality Arms Idaho will not supply and firearm or product, manufactured by us, or any other company nor will we warranty, repair, alter, or modify and firearm owned by any State, County or Municipality who infringes on the right of its citizens to bear arms under the 2nd Amendment."

Bravo Company USA states:

"The people at Bravo Company USA and BCM support responsible private individuals having access to the same tools of civilian Law Enforcement to affect the same ends...As such Bravo Company's policy is that law enforcement officials and departments will be restricted to the same type of products available to responsible private individuals of that same city or state."
http://cnsnews.com/blog/gregory-gwyn-williams-jr/firearms-companies-restricting-sales-government-agencies-areas

Extreme Firepower Inc, LLC www.extremefirepower.com Website Long Standing
Cheaper Than Dirt www.cheaperthandirt.com Facebook Long Standing
MidwayUSA www.midwayusa.com Twitter Long Standing
Old Grouch's Military Surplus www.oldgrouch.com Facebook 2013-01-15
Predator Intelligence www.predatorarmament.com Facebook 2013-02-01
LaRue Tactical www.laruetactical.com Facebook 2013-02-08
Olympic Arms www.olyarms.com Facebook 2013-02-12 Currently applies to New York State only
Templar Custom www.templarcustom.com Facebook 2013-02-13 Currently applies to New York State only
York Arms www.yorkarms.com Website 2013-02 Currently applies to New York State only
Bullwater Enterprises LLC www.aandtfirearms.com Facebook 2013-02-16 dba A & T Firearms
West Fork Armory www.westforkarmory.com Facebook 2013-02-16 Currently applies to New York State only
Smith Enterprise, Inc www.smithenterprise.com Website 2013-02-17 Currently applies to New York State only
Alex Arms www.alexarms.com Website 2013-02-17
OFA Tactical www.ochsnergroup.com Facebook 2013-02-17
Spike's Tactical www.spikestactical.com Facebook 2013-02-18
Quality Arms Idaho www.qualityarmsidaho.com Website 2013-02-19
Liberty Suppressors www.libertycans.net Facebook 2013-02-19 Currently applies to New York State only
Doublestar Corp www.star15.com Facebook 2013-02-19
American Spirit Arms www.americanspiritarms.com YouTube 2013-02-19
Tactical Solutions www.tacticalsol.com Website 2013-02-20 Currently applies to New York State only
Head Down Products, LLC www.headdownproducts.com Facebook 2013-02-20 Currently applies to New York State only
Exile Machine www.exilemachine.net Website 2013-02
J&G Sales, Ltd www.jgsales.com Facebook 2013-02-20
Bravo Company USA www.bravocompanyusa.com Website 2013-02-20
ACE LTD. www.riflestocks.com Website 2013-02-20
Barrett www.barrett.net Website 2013-02-20
Kiss Tactical www.kisstactical.com Facebook 2013-02-20
NEMO Arms, Inc www.nemoarms.com Facebook 2013-02-21 Currently applies to New York State only
Top Gun Supply www.topgunsupply.com Facebook 2013-02-21
Red Jacket Firearms www.redjacketfirearms.com Facebook 2013-02-21
Badger Peak www.badgerpeak.com Facebook 2013-02-22
Controlled Chaos Arms www.controlledchaosarms.com Facebook 2013-02-22
Big Horn Armory www.bighornarmory.com Facebook 2013-02-22
One Source Tactical www.onesourcetactical.com Website 2013-02-22