PDA

View Full Version : Hornady neck sizing die question......

3006guns
01-03-2013, 11:11 AM
I'm looking at Hornady's line up of neck sizing dies and noticed they offer a "long" and "short" size in some versions. Is this to accomodate, say 30-06 and 308? In other words you'd need two dies to cover the two case lengths? Hornady offers no explanation or guidelines on their website that I can find.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
01-03-2013, 03:00 PM
This is just an Ol'Coot's opinion, but after years - began in the 60s - of handloading, I have found there to be little need for a "neck sizing" die in most cases.

I have bought them a time or two, and have never seen them to show any advantage over a "full Length" sizing die, which is properly adjusted.

"Properly Adjusted" may not mean following the manufactures instructions, included with the full length die set.

However, unless RCBS has changed their instructions, you will find that Hornady instructions with their "foot" note under the die adjustment info is much closer to reality then the RCBS instructions I have.

The key here is, always size bottle neck cartridges, fired in YOUR CHAMBER, the minimum amount which allows that fired/sized cartridge to again chamber in YOUR CHAMBER.

Because we do not live in a perfect world, and all manufactures must deal with +/- manufacturing tolerances from the established and published standard, it is very unlikely that you will ever have a perfect chamber to sizing die match.

For this reason, and for the longest brass life and reload consistancy, it is best to personally "custom" adjust YOUR full length sizing die to size brass fired in YOUR chamber for use again in your chamber.

I have addressed this subject many times on the different forums, to the point I have made a file document which goes into detail as to the "whys" and "hows" of proper sizing die adjustment and the reasons why following the manufactures instructions may not be the best way to go.

Will gladly send this info to anyone who sends me a "PM" with their personal "E" address. Have already done just that 5 or 6 times in the past week.

Good luck with your reloading, have fun and be safe.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Johnch
01-03-2013, 03:38 PM
Yes for different length cases

I use ( and LOVE ) them for the 223 , 308 and 303

Nice thing , the die can only touch the neck
The shoulder and case body are untouched

It helps in my bolt gun loads

In the 303 , I use the expander out of a 303 die set in the 308 neck die
It allows the huge chamber to be filled with the fire formed case
With just enough of the neck sized to hold the bullet or boolit

IMO if you have a tight chamber to start with
You probely will not see a lot of help

But if you have a generous chamber
It can help

But you will have to bump the shoulder back after a few or more reloads of a case
With the 303 ( light loads ), it is 8+ reloads
The 308 3-4 reloads with the higher pressure loads

John

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
01-03-2013, 04:40 PM
John,

properly adjusted, a "full length" die will never bring you to the point of needing to "bump" the shoulder back.

It is - the "neck sizer", in most cases, simply a die which provides no advantage as to brass to chamber fit and case life, while a properly adjusted full length die does not over size the brass.

CDOC

r1kk1
01-03-2013, 06:52 PM
John,

properly adjusted, a "full length" die will never bring you to the point of needing to "bump" the shoulder back.

It is - the "neck sizer", in most cases, simply a die which provides no advantage as to brass to chamber fit and case life, while a properly adjusted full length die does not over size the brass.

CDOC

post the instructions and maybe someone will make it a sticky note.

take care,

r1kk1

3006guns
01-03-2013, 07:23 PM
Yes for different length cases

I use ( and LOVE ) them for the 223 , 308 and 303

Nice thing , the die can only touch the neck
The shoulder and case body are untouched

It helps in my bolt gun loads

In the 303 , I use the expander out of a 303 die set in the 308 neck die
It allows the huge chamber to be filled with the fire formed case
With just enough of the neck sized to hold the bullet or boolit

IMO if you have a tight chamber to start with
You probely will not see a lot of help

But if you have a generous chamber
It can help

But you will have to bump the shoulder back after a few or more reloads of a case
With the 303 ( light loads ), it is 8+ reloads
The 308 3-4 reloads with the higher pressure loads

John

Ironically, it was the 303 Brit I was thinking of when I posted.......I should have mentioned that. Sorry! I have several Enfields with their overly generous chambers and decided to start keeping my brass separate for each rifle and neck sizing only. I already do this to some extent with my other milsurps, just haven't started with the Brits yet. I have a Lyman 310 tool which does a good job but wanted a "standard" 7/8 x 14 thread die for my Lee hand press in the field on occasion as I like flexibility. I hadn't looked at the offerings from any of the manufacturers until this morning and was disappointed that Hornady didn't offer a 303 die.....but as usual, asking on this forum provides answers!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
01-03-2013, 07:42 PM
r1kk1,

Sorry a bit pooter challenged on this end, however, is someone wants to make a sticky of the info or review it with that possibility in mind, I'll gladly sent the info to their personal "E" address if they will supply that to me.

It is about three pages of info.

CDOC