PDA

View Full Version : NRA Registered Black Powder Long Range Match - September 2013

Hip's Ax
01-03-2013, 10:13 AM
All,
This is a great match at a great range. Practice the day before, the range will be open. Any comments or questions are most welcome.

Lead pot
01-03-2013, 11:35 AM
It sounds like it would be a good match to make the 700 mile trip.
What is your usual turnout for these matches.

Kurt

Don McDowell
01-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Looks like a good opportunity for folks that don't want to make the trip from that end of the country, to Raton to shoot longrange.

Hip's Ax
01-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Lead Pot, in the past 3 or 4 years I remember between 10-12 shooters, sometimes a few more or a few less. I hope to increase the attendance, John Gardner can't run the matches any more due to his health so I asked to be allowed to run them. I am asking the match director from the Quantico BP matches and the Millville NJ BP matches to distribute the flyer to their mailing lists. I'm afriad we missed getting our traditional May date but was able to get the traditional September date. I hope to get the May weekend back next year. Its a lovely match, the shooters are all very friendly and helpful. We stay in the town of Bellwood PA, a lovely picture postcard American town. Please consider attending, I know you'll be glad you did.

Don, Yes but we also shoot BPCTR LR at Quantico once a year but those are the the only two places I have access to within reasonable driving distance.

Don McDowell
01-03-2013, 02:02 PM
I wish it wasn't 1800 miles to get there, I'ld like to see that part of the country once, and it would be a hoot to be able to attend a shoot while touring.

Lead pot
01-03-2013, 02:35 PM
Don.

That is some beautiful country especially in the fall, but it's toll booth after toll booth plus having to go through Chicago and Gary Indiana.

But I will keep that match in my match book marks. Looking at their sight http://www.readerange.org/ it sure looks like a fine range and support the blk powder matches to get it up and running along side of the bla gun matches that dominate that range.

Hip's Ax
01-03-2013, 06:23 PM
Reade is a great range with nice folks, I shoot "normal" LR there once or twice a year as well. LOL, my BP buddies call it "Toy Gun LR". They get a good crowd there and the smokeless LR shooters are just as friendly and helpful, albeit a bit more driven, as the BP shooters are.

Problem for bullseye BP matches in this area is that there are tons of silhouette matches. Most of the bullseye shooters are mainly silhouette shooters. The second weekend in the month (and not every month) is the only off weekend for these guys to shoot paper.

Its been a while since I shot across the course high power, I would not drive to Reade for that, I have 2 600 yard ranges with active XTC programs only 2 hours away, Reade is 4 1/2 hours drive for me. Yes, Reade appears to have a healthy XTC program.

Lead pot
01-03-2013, 08:25 PM
Hip's Ax

I'm all for match shooting no matter what is used for a weapon. I personally dont have use for "black guns" and I dont have any anymore. I had them and I shot them and if someone at the range asks me "you want to take some shots", I dont turn them down. I shot out several barrels when I had mine. :)
Black powder has been with me all my shooting life and I support the black powder shooting sports and I would like to see them get started in my area and they are in Lodi Wis. and Milan ILL. and that is good!!
I think nothing driving out to the far side of Nebraska or Montana just to shoot so if your match dates dont fall on the must make shoots for me I will shoot at one of your matches.
Carolyn has been after me to see the fall colors up in Main again anyway:-D
Kurt

Hip's Ax
01-03-2013, 09:03 PM
Kurt, Understood Sir! One of my shooting buddies (I shoot far more rimfire competition then anything else) worked on me for a couple of years to try black powder cartridge target. I finally gave in in 2007 and bought a 45-70 from CPA. Fell in love with the game and the crowd. The next year I bought a 45-90 CPA for LR BP. I can see one day I will have to make some choices, but not today. See my list of classifications below, only 13 now but I keep intending to add 300m and also get my XTC High Power back. So many rifle games, only so many weekends. :) BTW, the only black gun I have is my Armalite National Match, she shoots well and is one of the few rifles I bought brand new, bought it in 1999.

OUTDOOR CONVENTIONAL PRONE MASTER 10/29/2002
INTL POSITION SBR INDOOR MARKSMAN 5/4/2004
HIGH POWER RIFLE LONG RANGE MASTER 11/10/2004
OUTDOOR METRIC PRONE EXPERT 7/26/2005
NRA METRIC POSITION INDOOR MARKSMAN 3/28/2006
MID RANGE *** BP TARGET RIFLE SHARPSHOOTER 6/17/2008
NRA METRIC POSITION OUTDOOR SHARPSHOOTER 8/19/2008
OUTDOOR CONVENTIONAL POSITION SBR SHARPSHOOTER 8/19/2008
HPR MID-RANGE PRONE MASTER 12/30/2008
MID RANGE PRONE BP TARGET RIFLE EXPERT 5/18/2010
LONG RANGE BP TARGET RIFLE EXPERT 6/16/2010
INDOOR CONVENTIONAL POSITION SBR SHARPSHOOTER 3/1/2011
INTERNATIONAL AIR RIFLE SHARPSHOOTER 11/22/2011

Lead pot
01-03-2013, 11:53 PM
Very good! I see that your a shooter!

We'll shake hands some day.

Kurt

w30wcf
01-04-2013, 10:07 AM
Kurt,
If you do make the trip and can plan on spending a day or 2 before or after the match, Ridgway is not too far from there. Homer, the 1000 yard buffalo and various other silhouette targets from 200 meters out to 1,000 yards reside there. Guests are very welcome.

w30wcf

Lead pot
01-04-2013, 11:11 AM
w30wcf thank you.

I very seldom turn my truck east when I pull out with the camper behind it.
It may be time I look into the morning sun to go to shoots.

Kurt

jbrower
01-16-2013, 11:33 PM
Looks like fun. I'm just getting started in BPCR and shot out at Ridgway this past September and will probably hit most of the Shippensburg matches this year. I just emailed one of my shooting partners to see if he's interested in heading out to the Reade range for this.

Hip's Ax
01-17-2013, 08:19 AM
Jbrower, many of the shooters at this match shoot Ridgeway and Shippensburg as well. Brian Chilson and George Harris for example. George helps run this Reade match. Hope to see you there! If you decided to attend contact me and I'll let you know where we stay. Its not fancy but it works and its cheap. Lots more fun if a bunch of shooters stay at the same place. :)

jbrower
01-17-2013, 10:15 PM
I met Brian, his wife and their dog back in September and witnessed him run 11 chickens. If you're in NJ you might know Glenn Davis, he's one of the guys I shoot with and he runs some matches at Cumberland/Millville which I plan on getting to this year. I shoot at Quinton a lot too, so if you shoot BPCR Silhouette there, perhaps we have met before.

Hip's Ax
01-17-2013, 10:20 PM
I must have met Glenn, I have shot the Millville matches. I guess Glenn helps Carl Leisinger out. Carl is the match director. Its been a couple of years since I shot BP there, when the Millville officers changed out they moved Carl's weekends and they clashed with other matches. Carl has 4 matches this year, unfortunately the first one is on Easter Sunday and I doubt I can make that one. LOL, you sound like George Harris, he's been trying to get me to shoot steel and I'm afraid I don't see it happening. I shoot almost every weekend when I can as it is.

Hip's Ax
08-13-2013, 08:19 PM
A gentle bump for a really fun match at a great range. Please consider attending. Any questions or comments Please feel free. :)