PDA

View Full Version : Meat Butchering Table

Just Duke
01-03-2013, 06:48 AM
I'm really liking this table. This one looks to be 125 years old or more.
White oak base and maple top. I need to go back to OR to clean out a couple of our homes so I thought we would bring back some seasoned air dried lumber in my stash. I need a project. That and I have a huge stash of Walnut for flintlocks that I figured I would find and interest in when I was older. Well I'm older and have been interested in them for 5 or so years.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_EKsrqs7appo/THOPyMw66uI/AAAAAAAABJM/z4O9i7OySgw/s1600/osterley+house+_1987.jpg

LIMPINGJ
01-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Looks like a scene from a Two Fat Ladies cooking show.

Pb2au
01-04-2013, 08:10 AM
What a beautiful table. The top looks to be almost 4" thick! You will have to build it exactly where you want to put it, as it will take a forktruck to move the beast when it is done!
Where was that picture taken Duke?

Just Duke
01-04-2013, 08:25 AM
What a beautiful table. The top looks to be almost 4" thick! You will have to build it exactly where you want to put it, as it will take a forktruck to move the beast when it is done!
Where was that picture taken Duke?

I study a lot of Gothic and 14th Century architecture and furniture styles and found it on a European website while looking for large wood burning ovens I could back engineer.
Here's one from long ago. A bit to big for my tastes but the company that made this one makes one half this size.
The table resides 20 feet or so from this bay of ovens.
http://fancyhomedesign.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/victorian-kitchen-stove-victorian-kitchens-touch-on-your-house.jpg
I have seen some nice examples on Slave Plantation served homes in the south the would be applicable. I find slavery sad though.
Barbie and I finally got our shop cleared for future projects.
I feel the table would add more of a 17 century ambiance to a kitchen than a typical island would. Again I was born 130 years late but I can live vicariously through a reproduction of antiquity.
Judging by the scale and height of the table it's 3 inches thick and cut from the heart wood which was a common practice to avoid warping, then cut in half and book match together giving a 38 inch wide top surface. I will say even when I used to do everything with a hand plane I would puzzle cut the joining surfaces with a HUGE router and a flush cutter chucked up with a straight edge on the bottom side which gives a mirror image of both surfaces. You still have to hand plane the surface flat though.
Also you were wondering about the weight of the top which is not that bad. I speculate it's 800 pounds and can be move by one person if one takes the time to engineer a dolly. Flipping the top to work on the bottom is no real problem either. A couple 60" Diameter by 12" wide, 2 piece wheels that strap together turns the top into a giant rolling pin. Same basic wood jig they use to move the stones of the 13 pyramids on the Giza Plateau near Cairo (also deforesting the area including the huge cedars that use to grow there. Ask me how I know.) ;)

Here's an example of a surface I did on a 14' dining room table we made a few years ago for the house.
As you can see very little aberration in the surface reflection. Much simpler than the Telescope mirrors I ground as a youth.
http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad54/LEVERACTIONSHOOTERS/TT/TT86.jpg

Just Duke
01-04-2013, 10:08 AM
In the background you can see a dry sink for making bread dough.

mtnman31
01-06-2013, 11:36 PM
The table in post 1 is spectacular. I would love something like that in my home. Problem is, my home doesn't have the appropriate interior decor to host such a fine chunk of wood. The look of older furniture and the sheer size of some of it makes my jaw drop.

TCLouis
01-06-2013, 11:51 PM
Duke N.

I love it, you are always off to the next great project which I love to see progress to the finished product.

Always beautiful WELL CRAFTED results!

andremajic
01-15-2013, 10:34 PM
I wish we were neighbors Duke. . .

For purely selfish reasons! lol.

Just Duke
01-15-2013, 10:39 PM
I wish we were neighbors Duke. . .

For purely selfish reasons! lol.

I wish we were too. With your machinework skills anm me able to cobble things together we would do well.