PDA

View Full Version : Electric heat source

layusn1
07-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Is there a Coleman electric heat source for smelting the WWs? If so, what rating am I looking for? I have seen a couple at Sportsmans Warehouse, just not sure what minimum power level, it was (BTUs?) I would need. I didn't notice if they were electric or propane but I would prefer electric if possible. Basically I guess I need to know the lowest power and heat required so I know not to go any lower than that. It doesn't have to be a Coleman. If there is something I could go to Sears, Academy, or somewhere else local that would be cool too. With two spastic dogs I don't really want them running around with propane and molten lead. I know...electricity and molten lead isn't all that much better but its a little better.

Also, I made a trade for another mold, http://www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/pbulleta.htm, (number 356402 on that page) a Lyman dbl cavity 124 grain truncated bullet. If I am doing my math right 124gr x1000 bullets = 124,000 grains. 124,000 grains divided by 7,000 grains per pound = 17.71 pounds (give or take). So if I get a 20 pound pot to work from will I be able to cast 1000 bullets with that mold without reloading it? Drop in 20 pounds of lead, melt it, mold 1,000 bullets and be done?

Thanks.

MeestaSparkle
07-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Someone else posted on here that they used an electric heating element from a range. I wanted to try this so I bought one from lowe's and is has worked great so far. I used a cast iron dutch oven (sawed off the legs, $6 from local harbor freight) to put the lead in, got one of those generic empty paint cans and sawed slits in the top for the element supports to fit in. I think I was melting somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 lbs initially and adding more as it melted down; so I lost track of exactly how much it was doing and how long it took. The element I bought was 2600 watt. I wanted to keep the amperage down so I hooked it up to a 210V outlet (dryer) bought some 12-2 wire (rated 600v, 20 amp) and ran in through a 15 amp breaker and a 20 amp 230v switch so I could turn it on and off. It has worked really well for me so far. I'm in the process of adding a pid controller and making it look prettier now. If you look on ebay you can get the range elements for pretty cheap. My total setup cost was somewhere around 50 dollars (I had 25ft of 12-2 already, needed 25 more to reach outside from my dryer plug, also already had 210v plug, so it would be higher if I bought everything new). I kept a close watch on all the connections and nothing got hot or indicated I needed to worry; Used it for two smelting sessions so far.

layusn1
07-04-2007, 08:56 PM
Hmmm, thanks but I don't know how to do that without permanently curling my hair, that is why I asked for something I could buy off the shelf.

Calamity Jake
07-04-2007, 09:31 PM
Go to a used appliance dealer and pick up a used electric cook stove, it will be 220V should work pretty good and you can use the oven to heat treat or anneal boolets, and you won't have to worry about the dogs.

layusn1
07-04-2007, 09:49 PM
I can't really put a full size stove out in the back yard. The wife and the association wouldn't go for that. That is why I am looking for something small and compact.

leftiye
07-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Lay, A 20 lb pot will probly produce maybe 10 lbs of boolits (or less), and a bunch of sprues and rejects before getting empty enough to need refilling.