PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Pan Lube

thegasharkman
01-02-2013, 11:53 PM
So I started out to make a variation of the Johnson's and Alox Tumble combination and ended up with a very hard high heat pan lube. My contents were Johnson's paste wax boiled to remove solvents, paraffin wax and CLP. All were boiled for about 45 minutes. Becareful the fumes are bad, CLP contains ether as a main base. Once it cools thoroughly it is very hard and loads well. The lube is 3 parts paraffin wax, 1 part clp, 1 1/2 parts johnsons floor wax paste. I used a necked down 40sw to 9mm case to cut them out and it worked great. Range report coming zoo

runfiverun
01-03-2013, 01:33 AM
i don't know what clp is. [cleaner,lube,preservative i'm guessing]
but why would you add parrafin and carnuba to parrafin?
it seems easier to just add carnuba to the parrafin and forego the solvent cook off.
you should be able to get a half pound of carnuba for the price of a can of jpw.

sounds like you just made magma engineerings commercial lube with gun oil added to it.

Taylor
01-03-2013, 07:18 AM
CLP (cleans lubricates protects)is what the army went to after LSA.

runfiverun
01-03-2013, 10:48 PM
i wasn't sure, i still have a bunch of the break free they gave us waay back when.
some in marked containers and some in little white unmarked drip bottles.
it works well in the star lubers.

geargnasher
01-03-2013, 11:05 PM
I took to using CLP as a press lubricant after swearing off of it for any other use, but after gumming up all my progressives with the nasty junk I poured the half-gallon of it I had in in the waste oil tank at work. Nothing but Dexron VI ATF/Coastal engine assembly lube mixed for my guns now, and Mobil Centaur #2 for sliding surfaces.

The Teflon may or may not flourinate in that lube when shot, depends on heat and duration of the load. I wouldn't shoot it indoors.

Gear

thegasharkman
01-04-2013, 12:51 AM
Yeah I only shoot outdoors. I was just messing around when I made the batch. I intended to make a tumble lube and ended up with a pan lube. It seems to stick to the rounds very well. and everything else that it touches...lol says my wife about a little spill on the cement....oops! I am using it for 9mm cast rounds at middle pressure. I havent had much time to read about it yet but how would something like this fair for cast rifle rounds?

runfiverun
01-04-2013, 12:52 AM
i use 3-1 oil/dex atf on the reloading presses.
it's easy to apply in the little squeeze pen thing i have.
the tip fits in the little oil holes on the dillons perfectly too.

i'll never use up all the break free i have two drops at a time on the stars sliding arms,and on an occasional winch cable.
i can't really find another use for it.

thegasharkman
01-04-2013, 02:58 AM
show if this is the magama lube is this a good oops creation or a bad oops creation?

runfiverun
01-05-2013, 12:15 AM
ehh it works.
i have 15-20 sticks of it still kickin around. [probably 2-3,000 boolits still lubed with it too]
it won't ruin anything,and if it's working it's working.
probably at it's best on high pressure type loads,so the 9 would be bout right.