PDA

View Full Version : problems with K98 mauser

Jamesconn
01-02-2013, 08:19 PM
I want a K98 mauser, but I have just been searching and components are quite a bit harder to find than for 30-06. Brass is expensive and Id rather have it in 30-06 because I wont be able to reload for quite awhile. Im reading about it and everybody is saying that rebarreling to 30-06 is expensive and you should just buy a gun in 30-06. I like the stock and the action. What do I do? First I wanted a 1903 but there arent many ones available that are in useable condition. I want to scope it too.

hicard
01-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Why don't you just rechamber the 8MM to 8MM-06. I have one and it shoots great. The guy I bought it from said it was in 30-06 but he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it so I took up the challenge. It took me some time to figure out what it was and as soon as I did, I got a set of dies for 8MM-06 and found out how well it did shoot.

Uncle Grinch
01-02-2013, 09:23 PM
If you like the rifle and the bore is good, then do like hicard suggest and rechamber to 8mm-06. This used to be a very popular choice many years ago when 8mm (7.92x57) ammo was hard to get. Dies are readily available too.

My opinion is just keep it as is and spend the rehambering and die money on 8mm components. They aren't hard to find. Most any reloading supply house carrys the ammo and components.

Pb2au
01-02-2013, 09:36 PM
I agree with uncle grinch. I think in the end you will be much happier, with less muss and fuss. The components are out there, and not nearly as dear as you might think. Casting the boolits takes away the most expensive part in the long run too.
Just my 2 cents

leadman
01-02-2013, 10:03 PM
Since you won't be able to reload for awhile the 30-06 is a good choice since the ammo is just about everywhere. Keep a lookout for an already sporterized 1903 or 1917 Enfield. Even if the bore is not pristene they usually will shoot great. I see lots of them advertised here in the Phoenix area for around $300. If that is out of your budget think about a single shot rifle in 30-06, 30-30, or 223. I've seen a couple of the Remington 710 ? model rifles for around $250 to $275.
The trick is to have the cash available when you see one, then when you pull it out and make an offer on a gun you might walk away with it.

zuke
01-02-2013, 10:04 PM
Keep an eye out in pawn shop's for an old converted sporter.
Put and ad in kijiji or like paper and see what you get.

Beekeeper
01-02-2013, 10:28 PM
Jamesconn,
Not trying to be nosy but how much are you willing to spend?
I just took a Mauser in today to be rebarreled ( I supplied the barrel) and it was $200.

Would you take a suggestion from a man that only owns Mausers?

Keep it at 8X57 MM JS and buy a brass forming die and a Lee 8x57MM trimmer.
8X57 brass can be formed from 30/06 very easy and if you have a goodly supply of 30/06 brass you are set for life as you will always be able to make your brass.

The 8X57 MM Mauser has almost identical ballistics as a 30/06 and in some circles ( mine) it is thought to be better.
If you intend to keep it in Military form the barrel will have to be contoured to match the 8X57 barrel you are taking off and that will add more expense.
You didn't say which Mauser you had but there is a man here on the forum called dutchman that can give you chapter and verse as to its history and value.
There are a lot of valuable ones still out there so before changing it I would try to find out all I could about its history.

Just my thoughts but I'm no expert by any means.

Good luck which ever way you go!

beekeeper

opos
01-02-2013, 10:32 PM
Buddy of mine just bought 2 Mausers...one a "tank Mauser" in 30-06 with a shorter bbl...the other a standare model 48 as I recall in 8mm...I have no affiliation with these folks...never been to their place but my friend seems to like the guns he got...

http://www.mauser.net/

littlejack
01-02-2013, 11:44 PM
James:
To bad you will not be reloading for a while. As stated earlier, you can have the chamber recut to 8mm-06.
I have an Egyptian Mauser that I sporterized and had rechambered to 8mm-06 AI. I love the rifle. Shoots great. I load a 195
grain Hornaday sp at 2800 fps. I use this as my magnum.
Jack

swheeler
01-02-2013, 11:54 PM
I want a K98 mauser, but I have just been searching and components are quite a bit harder to find than for 30-06. Brass is expensive and Id rather have it in 30-06 because I wont be able to reload for quite awhile. Im reading about it and everybody is saying that rebarreling to 30-06 is expensive and you should just buy a gun in 30-06. I like the stock and the action. What do I do? First I wanted a 1903 but there arent many ones available that are in useable condition. I want to scope it too.

buy a used Savage or Stevens 30/06

Elkins45
01-02-2013, 11:57 PM
I don't see how all the suggestions to rechamber to 8mm-06 are helpful to a guy who says he doesn't reload. Nobody sells factory loaded 8mm-06 ammo.

If you're making decisions based on ammo cost you might want to consider 308 instead of 30-06.

bb07
01-03-2013, 12:35 AM
I once had a Norwegian K98 Mauser that had been rebarreled by them to .30-06. If you can find one of them your problem is solved. It was similar to this one:
https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=728
If I'm remembering right, I sold it for $200:roll: Still wondering why I did that:confused:

Jamesconn
01-03-2013, 01:15 AM
I know there are already converted mausers out there but I didnt want to get a gun that isnt safe. I will probably get a couple so I can keep one true and change up another. I might be able to reload in a closet for awhile Im in the middle of moving but not cast.

Mk42gunner
01-03-2013, 01:37 AM
Nobody wants an unsafe rifle, a reputable shop should check every used gun that they trade for.

Reloading in a small space is very doable, there are several threads on small reloading setups. One thing to watch is component cost when buying something out of the mainstream.

If you just want a .30-06, swheeler's suggestion of buying a Savage or Stevens rifle is probably the least expensive route. New ones are available for around $300.00, used ???

Previously sporterized Mausers in .30-06 will take some looking, but can be found. Some where even converted by various countries after WWII.

Good Luck,

Robert

flounderman
01-03-2013, 10:16 AM
if you are not doing the conversion yourself, the savage 110 is the best buy out there. already for a scope if it doesn't have one, adjustable trigger, scope safety, and if the barrel hasn't been abused, they shoot. check the pawn shops after hunting season, don't be afraid to make an offer for less than you think the gun is worth, walk away if they won't deal. try them again, another day. pawn shops don't have a lot of money invested in their used guns. You can buy a lb of powder, say 4831, because you probably can't overload an 06 with it, a box of primers, and a box of bullets, probably 150 grain, and a lee hand tool to start with. If you don't have a scale, find someone with a scale and determine what the dipper measures, and buy a lee loader to start with. It is pretty basic but it will work. Find some once fired, or more, empty cases and you can load 100 rounds. after that, you have the cases and loader and the next 100 will cost you a box of primers and a box of bullets and some more powder. using a faster powder like 4895 you will get more loads to a lb of powder. there are 7000 grains in a lb of powder. military surplus powder is cheaper but the hazmat fee is a problem. cheaper to go with what is available locally. Post a want to buy on this site and you can find cases and probably a lee loader, used.

fouronesix
01-03-2013, 11:53 AM
Jamesconn,
Glad to see you're still here on the CBforum! Moving is no fun and really makes it hard to set up to reload or get organized. Best of luck on that.

If your Mauser is in decent shape and is original- I'd have so agree with those saying keep it as is and get it checked by a competent gunsmith for safety and for which ammo is the correct type. If original and if left as is-it will retain its value and at some point you'll be able to reload for it. Clean the bore carefully and completely. Until you're set up to reload you could save up for a box of factory ammo and shoot it a little. Save the brass for future reloading.

If you want a usable hi-power bolt rifle, as others have suggested, start poking around for "after deer season" rifles for sale and make reasonable offers with cash. Calibers that come to mind would include: 270, 7-08, 308, 30-06, etc.

x101airborne
01-03-2013, 06:23 PM
I rebarreled my first mauser myself and had a BLAST doing it. I did not use any special tools other than a finish reamer and a GO gauge. Some creative Krylon finishing and that has been my go to rifle for a long time. I used a 89.00 Adams and Bennett barrel. I cut some oak firewood for heavy vice shims and lead lined them to go around the barrel. I mean, this is so easy, it is silly. If you want to borrow my reamer and gauges to do it yourself I will loan them to you. If you can turn a wrench and read basic english, you can do it no problem. If you want to talk on the phone, PM for a number. This is not outside your abilities and there is a lot of satisfaction in doing it yourself.

UBER7MM
01-03-2013, 08:09 PM
Jamesconn,

K98s in 8x57mm a great combo if you reload. Brass is not an issue. Commerical brass as well as loads can be found. One can cut down and reform longer commerical brass. It's a great cast loading gun and cartridge too.

There are a lot of gotchas, when you customize a K98. If you convert and rebarrel a K98 in 8x57 to 30'06, you need to modify the magazine and action ramp to get the longer cartridge to cycle. Scopes on a K98 are problematic. Safeties need to be customized scope mountings drilled and tapped. The bolt will need to be lowered by either by forging or rewelded or mounted high enough to miss the bolt's swing. A long relief scope that mounts to the rear sight is another alternative.

Pricewise, if you want a scoped rifle, and prefer 30'06, I'd recommend a tupperware stocked factory rifles that can be had at Walmart, etc.

I hope this helps,

Gunnut 45/454
01-03-2013, 10:16 PM
I agree there is commercial brass loadings! Privi, Winchester etc. Just buy a couple boxes then you have reloadable brass that last for years!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/514659/federal-power-shok-ammunition-8x57mm-mauser-8mm-mauser-170-grain-soft-point-box-of-20

http://www.bulkammo.com/bulk-8-57mm-js-mauser-ammo-8mm196spcesb-20

Wow 8x57mm is kind of pricey! On the second link there some Privi fo under $20 per 20! Looks like you need to reload and cast if you want to shoot alot! Thats what I do- I shoot for pennies a round!:mrgreen: Even if you change over to 8mm-06 .30 cal Jwods are not cheap now a days!:mrgreen:

Here's a great deal! A case of 500!
http://www.targetsportsusa.com/p-2670-prvi-partizan-8x57mm-mauser-8mm-mauser-198-grain-full-metal-jacket-ammunition.aspx

AnnieOakley
01-03-2013, 10:30 PM
I know there are already converted mausers out there but I didnt want to get a gun that isnt safe. I will probably get a couple so I can keep one true and change up another. I might be able to reload in a closet for awhile Im in the middle of moving but not cast.

Hey JamesConn, My husband wanted me to tell you that he is glad to see you back online! If I recall correctly a few months ago you wanted a Nagant rifle instead of a Mauser. What made you change your mind? Our local gun store has sold a bunch of Nagant rifles in the last few years. I think just because they were under $100...IMHO, the Mauser is a much better rifle. Like previous posters have suggested, purchasing a Savage Sporter sounds like your best option.

Jamesconn
01-03-2013, 10:52 PM
I have a mosin nagant now I got to shoot it once after a dove hunt. Only 5rds though my dad only goes to a indoor pistol range once every 6 months maybe, and his wimpy truck wont make it to the outdoor rifle/pistol range I like. I can reload in a closet now though but cant really find brass for the mosin I want a bolt gun to cast and reload for.

nanuk
01-03-2013, 11:54 PM
x54R brass is very hard to find up here, and when you do, it is not cheap...

Mosin's may be cheap buy they eat Steak!

Larry Gibson
01-04-2013, 04:39 PM
x54R brass is very hard to find up here, and when you do, it is not cheap...

Mosin's may be cheap buy they eat Steak!

Might check on my sticky on converting Berdan primed cases to Boxer primers if you hav some brass milsurp cases. Easy enough to do. Also had good reports on converting the steel brass washed cases for good reloading but I haven't done those yet.

Larry Gibson

MtGun44
01-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Unless you need to have a milsurp, I concurr with the used Savage 110 as a really good option.

Bill