PDA

View Full Version : Weird weather.

JeffinNZ
01-02-2013, 05:42 PM
Someone tell Algore he is needed in NZ. Our weather is just screwy right now.

The West Coast of the South Island has been murdered by rain lately. The flow on is over the mountains we get screaming NW hot (30C/90F) winds that sap every metric splash of moisture out of everything. The rivers on my side are swollen beyond belief. The Rakaia was running at 200 cumecs. Last night it was 5000. The Waimak was running 60 cumecs last week when I was standing in it. Last evening........2000. AND to top it off there is now snow on the moutains and lower foot hills. It's summer here for goodness sake.

41 mag fan
01-02-2013, 06:20 PM
you sure the island didn't move a little in the ocean there??
Whats a Cumec?

oneokie
01-02-2013, 06:47 PM
you sure the island didn't move a little in the ocean there??
Whats a Cumec?

Cubic meter per second?

oneokie
01-02-2013, 06:50 PM

The West Coast of the South Island has been murdered by rain lately. The flow on is over the mountains we get screaming NW hot (30C/90F) winds that sap every metric splash of moisture out of everything.

Try day after day of 100+F temps for a month or longer

Freightman
01-02-2013, 07:20 PM
Last year we had 40+ days above 100 and I have seen years we didn't get to 100 we are at almost 4000 ft here. Weather is weird for sure. Wish we would get some more snow as we are dryer than I have ever seen it and I have been here for 73 years

cdet69
01-02-2013, 08:19 PM
Sure you have not broke loose and are heading towards the south pole:)

waksupi
01-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Hey, we're having climate change up here. It has to go SOMEWHERE!

tomme boy
01-02-2013, 10:09 PM
Guys, you can blame most of the drought on the farmers. They have tiled every piece of land that is available. All of that water has to go somewhere. Fresh water dumping into the oceans are changing the flow characteristics of the water columns. I live flat in the middle of farmville. They are chopping down every tree and planting all of the old field waterways. NO water is being soaked into the ground anymore. All of it is running off into streams and cricks that run into major rivers then into the oceans. The land erosion that is going on here is a disaster. The farmers are pulling up fences so they can get an extra foot to plant. Tearing up the tree lines along creeks and planting to the very edge. Corn is DESTROYING the land around here. ALL of the backwater areas that I used to fish just 5 years ago are dry land now from all of the mud that has filled in.

I am not a tree hugger at all. But what they are doing right now is not right to make a few more bushels of corn. Flame ON!

472x1B/A
01-02-2013, 10:27 PM
Ah, don't turn off the flame there yet tomme boy! Folks, what he's saying is very true.

I live about 75-80 miles south south-west as the crows fly from him and it's the same thing here. There's a tiling machine running every day there's no frost in the ground somewhere in my neck of the woods. I've seen them being pulled through the fields with a dozer when the ground is wet. More and more trees being dozed and fences are far and few now days.

A coyote can run for 5 or 6 miles and not have to worry about jumping a fence. Almost like out west here now. I think we'll be seeing more droughts like the one we just had in the near future.

quilbilly
01-03-2013, 12:14 AM
You should watch what is going on in Alaska right now! Last winter was the coldest in 50 years and the Arctic ice pack pressed farther south than it had in living memory. This winter is even colder. The Arctic pack is 100 miles farther south than it was this time last year and the maximum doesn't even come until the end of February. If you watched Deadliest Catch on the History Channel last spring, for the first time the Opilio crabbers had to finally give up for the first time ever then finish their season in spring. The Northwestern didn't get back home until May (Sig Hansen likes sport salmon fishing and shops with my customers which is why I heard of this). Sooner or later even the greenies will connect with reality. For the record, the Antarctic ice pack grew dramatically more than anytime in the last 14 years last summer ( your winter) according to the satellites I watch.

nhrifle
01-03-2013, 01:34 AM

The West Coast of the South Island has been murdered by rain lately. The flow on is over the mountains we get screaming NW hot (30C/90F) winds that sap every metric splash of moisture out of everything. The rivers on my side are swollen beyond belief. The Rakaia was running at 200 cumecs. Last night it was 5000. The Waimak was running 60 cumecs last week when I was standing in it. Last evening........2000. AND to top it off there is now snow on the moutains and lower foot hills. It's summer here for goodness sake.

You are welcome to have him! I will package him real nice with special instructions on the box DO NOT RETURN TO SENDER.

waksupi
01-03-2013, 01:53 AM
The people in the midwest are going to regret removing all of those tree lines when the dust bowl conditions come back.

nhrifle
01-03-2013, 02:12 AM
Something about people not studying theri history and falling victim to it?

FLINTNFIRE
01-03-2013, 02:26 AM
Their forefathers planted those wind breaks for a reason , heard my dad talking about seeing them tearing out the wind breaks so they did not have to turn those bigger tractors as often , his comment was they did not remember the dust bowl

1Shirt
01-09-2013, 04:00 PM
I think most of us forget that the weather weenies have only been documenting weather conditions for a very short time in real world history. Two hundred years ago, they maybe had thermomaters(sp), and some records (on paper), and thats about it. We know about the ice age, the little ice age, the dust bowl, and major historical weather disasters back in time from documents. However doubt we know any thing about the weather conditions in Kansas in the 1500's, or the temp in what is now Fairbanks, on Christmas day in 1776. Much of the problem is the news/weather media! The weather weenies are as good at promoting their
issues as Dan Rather, Peter Jennings, etc.etc.etc.

MtGun44
01-09-2013, 09:01 PM
1shirt is right. There is extremely little historic data, and what we have shows that the weather
VARIES A LOT. Saying any more about it is a waste of time.

When the gov't gets into the market (pumping up ethanol with billions in subsidies - which means
stealing our money and giving it to the ethanol companies) you will see distortions. The corn prices
are strictly due to ethanol subsidies, the corn goes to your gas tank - so you can get lower gas
mileage, one of the little known 'benefits' of ethanol. The others are well known, like ruined fuel
systems, etc.

So the farmers are reacting to a totally abnormal market caused by the ethanol subsidies.

VERY dry in Kansas, wonder if that means the dust bowl times could come back? Maybe dust
bowls are normal in the midwest every 80-90 years? Nobody alive and no written records to
tell us what it was like 250 to 350 or more years ago over much of the world.

Bill

Lloyd Smale
01-10-2013, 06:54 AM
were usually measuring snow in feet by now and all we have is about 6 inches on the flat.

Jim
01-10-2013, 08:59 AM
I'm not nearly as far north as Lloyd is, but we get our share of snow. The Farmer's Almanac had predicted a "cold, snowy winter" for our area this year. We've seen a dusting of about an inch and that's it.

Check this out: the forecast for this coming Saturday? Partly cloudy and 70! In the middle of January? What th' h311, over? :shock:

Mind you, I'm not complainin', I'm just a bit stunned. I have all intention of taking advantage of the conditions. I got test ammo to shoot and a new rifle to pick up from the LGS! :Fire:

bucklind2
01-12-2013, 12:22 AM
The weather weenies can't predict the weather for next week, who would put any faith in them predicting the weather 20 years from now?