PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use paper grinding wheels to sharpen knives?

Silvercreek Farmer
01-02-2013, 05:21 PM
I got a set for Christmas and they are amazing! I can bring a severely worn edge up to shaving sharpness in just a few minutes. Should have bought a set years ago...

elk hunter
01-02-2013, 07:36 PM
That's something I've not heard about.

How about a better write up on them.

Charlie Two Tracks
01-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Never heard of those things. They sound like they must work good though. I'll have to google that one.

Wots
01-02-2013, 08:01 PM
You tube find.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG22AFsxHPY

cdet69
01-02-2013, 08:07 PM
I use to watch people finish sharpening a blade using raw silk. They would wrap it around a wood block and spend hours finishing off the blade. Made it slick and sharp more than a razor. Could not see myself doing it as it took forever to get it done. I do not see why paper would not work pretty much the same process but speeded up with modern tech.

**oneshot**
01-02-2013, 08:31 PM
I've used the Dremel version to sharpen a curved wood carving blade. Worked great!

Silvercreek Farmer
01-02-2013, 08:55 PM
That's something I've not heard about.

How about a better write up on them.

Ha! You sound like the guys I work with! Always wanting more details! The video Wots found covers it pretty well. What I can't figure is why the box stores don't carry them. I think a few wood working shops have them but otherwise you have to order them online. Mine came from Amazon.

starmac
01-02-2013, 09:54 PM
The hardware store here sells a small belt sharpener for about 80 bucks. It works pretty good, I sharpen my knife with their display one all the time. lol

Johnch
01-02-2013, 10:43 PM
I use a sand paperflapper wheel , in a drill ( super fine grit )

Running backwards , to use the back side of the flapper

Works great
But the paper wheel looks to work well also

John

blademasterii
01-02-2013, 11:13 PM
I use the buffing wheel at work to touch up my blade once in a while when i'm not home near my good stones. It works great, bringing up a shaving edge in seconds. If you dont hang on to it right though it will grab it and throw it. Not really a good thing with a razor sharp knife.

x101airborne
01-02-2013, 11:51 PM
I bought one set of those wheels from a leather shop here locally. Been using it for years to sharpen butcher knives. Works well and makes a good concave edge. Gotta watch that you dont heat up the edge too hot and burn it. It can happen FAST!

Oreo
01-03-2013, 01:10 AM
Looks like it would work better with a variable speed motor. Less chance of burning the steel.

starmac
01-03-2013, 01:37 AM
This is the one that is sold here locally, and it works pretty good to put a fast edge on.

http://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WSKTS-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B003IT5F14/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357191359&sr=8-1&keywords=knife+sharpener+belt

meotai
01-03-2013, 01:51 AM
I think they waste too much metal if you're not really careful. I like water stones, takes longer, but I know exactly when I reach the apex.

leftiye
01-03-2013, 08:00 PM
A piece of 400 grit belt makes an awesome strop. Rivals a diamond plate for edge and costs less than 1/100th as much. That is by hand with one end taped to the table edge, not on the machine. Those little 1" belt machines have way too much velocity for simple sharpening unless a polishing/worn out belt is used. Any way you do it the last part of the edge of the blade gets rounded (still makes a nice edge). Diamond plate, diamond lap, maybe just a tech on a real fine belt gets 'er done best.

snuffy
01-04-2013, 01:15 AM
Those look like a great way to ruin a knife! One of my pet peeves is how people go about sharpening knives. They either don't know how, or they want some magical machine to do it for them.

Most machines remove too much metal. You CAN wear a knife blade down to a tooth pick by excessive sharpening.

That link supplied didn't want to load, so I went looking on Utube. Some idiot was using those "paper" wheels backwards! Sharpening with the wheel rotating away from the blade edge! Everybody knows you "CUT" into the stone/wheel to sharpen.

I use a Gatco diamond sharpener kit. It is like a Lansky, with stones that are guided into slots in a blade holder that keeps the angles constant. The diamond hones cut fast, but only take the minimum of metal from an edge. Unless the knife has been abused, then to get nicks out requires serious metal removal.

Profiling bad factory edges takes some time and removal of some edge metal. But once done, a touch-up requires just polishing the existing edge.

gwpercle
01-04-2013, 01:46 PM
All of that looks real nice but I think my Arkansas whetstones ( or wetstones ) will do. I'm old school knife sharpener and don't need more power tools. Besides if I got them any sharper I might hurt myself.

mpmarty
01-04-2013, 09:46 PM
I've got a work sharp tool also. It works OK but I still like my japanese wet stones..

Silvercreek Farmer
01-04-2013, 11:40 PM
Wow, no love for the wheels. Oh well, I still like them. I sharpen my chainsaw with a Dremel, too. Just finished sharpening a handful of old pocket knives. Arms are about out of hair from testing the edges, so I had to start on the legs...