PDA

View Full Version : This little piggy...

RugerFan
07-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Had 3 pigs come out in the field I was watching with my .358 Win yesterday evening. All were fairly small. When it appeared nothing bigger was going to show, I shot the one that looked the biggest. It was facing me at 12 yards and the bullet took him stem to stern and kept going. The little piggy dropped like a stone. Not much of a test for this load, but I should get into some bigger hogs before long. I used my Ruger M77 Hawkeye with the following load data:

39 grains of H4895
RCBS-35-200 (3:1 WW/Lino AC)
Felix lube

monadnock#5
07-04-2007, 10:48 AM
Congratulations!! The young uns' don't have much meat, but it's the more tender and tasty. Good shooting.

DanWalker
07-04-2007, 01:27 PM
Nicely done sir!
That RCBS boolit is a killer for sure. You ought to try making some softnoses with it.
I have a ham from on of the little piggies I shot this spring, in the crock pot right now.

357maximum
07-04-2007, 01:47 PM
Congatulations

I sure wish we had little wild piggies to hunt. My only local option is on one of them we let them outta the barn to shoot em deals, and does not seem much like fun to me. Our area is big on farming and the large farms would never let the state game dept allow wild pigs for fear of crop deprivation. They and the insurance agencies have all the power in this area, they have almost made our deer herd non-existant for the same reasons. He who controls the dough controls the bucks apparently:roll:

Boz330
07-04-2007, 02:54 PM
As stated in the other thread HELP!!!! I got my 1st wild pig last nite. Never thought that we would have them around my part of KY. Over the weekend I spotted a bunch from the air as I was landing. Saw them again the next morning and evening, so last nite I hiked in with my trusty 6.5 Swede. Fell asleep against a tree and woke up to this grunting, eased to the edge of the field, Blam, nothing to this pig hunting. How many times have you heard that?
Congrats on your pig :drinks:

Bob

Four Fingers of Death
07-04-2007, 09:07 PM
"Fell asleep against a tree and woke up to this grunting,"

I have done that so many times when hunting and woken up to find game browsing near me.

I usually have a snooze by a small fire after boiling the billy and eating lunch. As often as not I have woken up to find goats nearby. Maybe they come to check out the smoke?

Boz330
07-05-2007, 10:32 AM
I usually have a snooze by a small fire after boiling the billy and eating lunch. As often as not I have woken up to find goats nearby. Maybe they come to check out the smoke?[/QUOTE]

Smoke would have probably scared them off, since smoke around my place usually has that roasting pig smell to it.:-D

Bob

exblaster
07-08-2007, 09:55 AM
Not a good idea to sleep in the woods with hogs around,
. Exblaster

RugerFan
07-08-2007, 10:02 PM
My son took a decent sow Friday night (with a dreaded j-bullet). We're starting to see some more activity now, so maybe the .358 Win will get some more action this week.

jdhenry
07-09-2007, 10:38 PM
I second 357Maximum I wish I had wild hogs around here:)

jdhenry
07-09-2007, 10:54 PM

Boz330
07-10-2007, 08:54 AM

What I got into were feral pigs not wild boars. And while these might be fun to hunt they do a bunch of damage to wood lots and crops so they are classified as varmits and it is open season on them. When the farmers find out about them I doubt that they will be very happy about them. In our area I doubt that they have any natural predators other than coyotes when they are real young. And they breed like rabbits. The group that I saw has 20 to 30 in it right now and that will grow rapidly if not curtailed and there is plenty of good food around to keep them healthy.

Bob

twotrees
07-10-2007, 10:06 PM
We have 2 openings for a hunting camp 20 miles south of Ft Benning in South Ga. We are over run with hogs. Deer (12 on a big game lic/year) Turkeys (3 Gobblers/spring with big game lic.) Quail, rabbits. Varmints (pigs are Varmints) can be hunted day/night with 6 volt lights. Coyotes, bobcats and gray fox.

Camp is Primitive, if you want it bring it in (water,etc.) 750 Ac. 15 Members. Not FLAT LAND (!) Sand Hills, you will need a 4 wheeler to retreive game.

$550/year (Family Membership) Out of state Big Game Lic. $180/year. Small game/varmint $80/year.

Contact TwoTrees via PM if interested. Also have a small camping trailer for $200 for a new member if interested.

Good Hunting

TwoTrees

RugerFan
07-10-2007, 11:21 PM
Thats a nice area. I've done a lot of hunting on Ft Benning and killed several deer and hogs.

GrizzLeeBear
07-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Hey, 357Max, DNR says theres some "ferrel swine" in your neck of the woods!

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363-155439--,00.html

Check out the map. Might want to do some askin' around in the red shaded counties.

475/480
07-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Good shooting RugerFan, perfect for the BBQ pit.

Sean

357maximum
07-12-2007, 09:49 PM
Hey, 357Max, DNR says theres some "ferrel swine" in your neck of the woods!

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363-155439--,00.html

Check out the map. Might want to do some askin' around in the red shaded counties.

Ha I live in gratiot, and frequent all surrounding.... only wild pigs here are at mcdonalds or the bar....remember..one thing...our fabulous dnr says the deer are running rampant and far too thick round here too.....I dare you to put 40 miles on back roads anytime of year in the evening and count more than 75 where there used to be 1000+ 6years ago....

.they need to keep selling the m-doe tags to make the farm bearau happy somehow.....

....people keep buying them doe tags by the handfull, and they wonder why they cannot fill them..........................doom azzes.