PDA

View Full Version : What would you call this type of Lead?

Mrbrent
01-02-2013, 01:04 AM
I melted down some lead bars that according to the patent number on them 208913 these are ingots for typesetting machines. I have no idea of their content but it was nice an clean when I melted them down and produced some nice shinny muffins. According to the patent they mention Lino type in the text so I guess I will go with that for now. I can try the pencil test but how long after melting do you wait to test? Here is a picture of the bar before melting and the stack of muffins after.

I also had about 40 lbs of WW that I melted. The muffins came out frosted. Is that because I got it hotter than the bars I melted. Or is the lead from the bars good quality that made the difference?

madsenshooter
01-02-2013, 03:04 AM
That'd be linotype. United American Metals is still in business, linotype was one of their big sellers but they also make several grades of babbitt.

largom
01-02-2013, 08:14 AM
I usually wait 4 weeks before testing any alloy.

Larry

badbob454
01-02-2013, 09:46 AM
agreed! , nice stuff ...

cbrick
01-02-2013, 10:21 AM
I can try the pencil test but how long after melting do you wait to test?

I usually wait 4 weeks before testing any alloy. Larry

Should be no need to wait 4 weeks to test lino. The percentage of antimony (Sb) will determine the time curve to achieve final hardness. Lino with 12% Sb will be pretty close in a few days. Wheel weight (WW) alloy with approx. 2% Sb will take considerably longer.

The difference in appearance between your ingots is the percentage of Sn, 4% for lino and about 0.5% for WW.

Also you should be mindful of your smelting/casting temps, lino has 4% tin (Sn) so the alloy needs to be kept under 750 degrees. Sn oxidizes rapidly past 750 degrees and it looses it's ability to do what you have it in the alloy for, to reduce surface tension of the alloy and promote good mold fill-out. It's very possible to have zinc mixed in a batch of WW, zinc melts at 787 degrees and is yet another reason to keep the heat well under 750 degrees.

Rick

Beau Cassidy
01-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Those linotype pigs weigh in at about 22 lbs. By mass, linotype is lighter than ww and lead. Save that metal for your harder bullets. It will give you a slightly larger diameter bullet than either pure PB or WW alone.

Mrbrent
01-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the advice guys!!