PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!!

Boz330
07-04-2007, 07:43 AM
Have a question for some of you pig hunters. We didn't use to have wild hogs around my part of KY, but we do now. I tagged one last night and need to get it processed. How do you get the hair off, just skin it or something else? This pig is going to be pit BBQed in a week and a half.
I use to help a friend process hogs every winter but we had a boiling pot and scrapers to take the hair off, and there wasn't this much hair. Not to mention I don't have that equipment available to me.
If you can't tell this is my first wild pig, probably not my last though there are at least another 20 or so in this pack. They have been working a harvested wheat field and living in the woods next to it. I spotted them from the air last weekend several times and hiked in there last night got one.:Fire:
Any suggestions welcomed, thanks.

Bob

JSH
07-04-2007, 09:32 AM
I would say to skin it, but then again I have never fooled with wild hogs. You could scald it real good and scrape it with a butchers knife or corn knife to get the hair off.
We never used to have hogs here either, still don't in my neck of the woods. They are showing up in some numbers W of me about 40 miles though. They are not a natural or native game animal so shooting or hunting them is out. The FG department was supposidly flying around in helicopters shooting them. Somthing to do with disease, go figure, never hear much about it anywhere else. If they do have a disease, shooting them and leaving them lay just don't seem right to me. I suppose they will do like everything else and let them breed till the numbers are outragious, then want to charge me out the **** to kill one of the things. Kind of like deer and turkeys, by the time a person pays for the tag, gas scouting and hunting, time off from work, processing if you don't do your own, a fellow could buy a lot of T bones or filets for the $.
Jeff

Boz330
07-04-2007, 10:03 AM
There is no season here they are classed just like a varmit, shoot on sight, you just have to have a hunting license.

Bret4207
07-04-2007, 10:05 AM
I always skinned my hogs. Lots quicker and they taste the same.

Junior1942
07-04-2007, 10:08 AM
The only reason to scrape a hog is if you plan to cook out the lard from the skin.

monadnock#5
07-04-2007, 10:34 AM
When I helped slaughter and butcher two hogs long, long ago, it was a race to get them gutted, hung, dipped in hot water, scraped down with rosin and "candle sticks", quartered, and off to the smoker. The pro who did most of the work couldn't get the job done fast enough to suit him. And as fast as we got the job done, we still lost a ham to spoilage.

RugerFan
07-04-2007, 10:36 AM
Just skin them like you would a deer. That's always worked for me.

Boz330
07-04-2007, 12:05 PM
Thanks guys, skin it is. I've got him packed in ice right now and as soon as I get this customer out of here I'll hang him and skin.

Bob

pumpguy
07-04-2007, 02:25 PM
JSH, Where are you in Kansas? I know there was a decent herd of them down toward the OK border in the area between Medicine Lodge and Coldwater. Nobody down there wants them and the Parks and Rec says they aren't there. I would maybe sniff around down there and see what you can find. There is a little waterway that runs north and east of Wilmore that has some VERY big ones.

Boz330
07-04-2007, 02:56 PM
Well he is skinned and I'm heading home to have a beer and throw it in the freezer.

Thanks again Guys

Bob

LIMPINGJ
07-04-2007, 07:45 PM
Boz330 you should have some good eats ahead.

Four Fingers of Death
07-04-2007, 08:54 PM
Yummooooooooo!!!!

JSH
07-05-2007, 07:57 AM
pumpguy, the ones around Medicine Lodge and Kiowa were the first ones I had heard about. This last bunch was around Clinton Lake, i am not sure if they were true wild hogs or not. I do know a few guys that hunt over there around Stull and they ran across a bunch of about 25.

Nobody down there wants them and the Parks and Rec says they aren't there.

Uh, there are not any moutain lions in Kansas either. Now there may be an alien or two, maybe even a bigfoot, but darn sure no mountain lions. AND, if you did think it was a mountain lion it was probably a bobcat. Somthing in the KC paper a while back to the effect that to confirm a mountain lion, ya had to have a dead one. BTW, ya better had not shoot one as there is no season and they are a protected species in Kansas, plumb goofy.
I myself have never seen one. Tracks,.........well it darn sure was no bobcat track, not was it a dog track and I am damn sure it was not a turkey. When 6 coon hounds come back to you like they were scared to death somthing is up, maybe the stink of a saskwatch?
Jeff

Boz330
07-05-2007, 10:27 AM
Boz330 you should have some good eats ahead.

Hope so, I'm going to throw this on with a regular hog and some deer for a big shindig the 14th. It is going to be done Western Kentucky style. Expecting a 100 or so folks.
This pig was a Feral pig, but I have no idea where she came from. There are no pig farms close around this area and there are at least 20 or more still there.
There have been bear sightings around or local area as well and we are not even close to what you would call bear country. Also have a few lion sightings up north of here by reputable people. F&G says that they don't exist either. Of course we didn't have coyotes in the 70s either. I just wonder if the large populations of deer aren't causing these kind of migrations. This was native habitat for these critters at one time.

Bob

07-05-2007, 10:39 AM
Heard of pigs last fall and winter west of Ft Scott KS. I think they are domestics gone feral though.

I've never seen mountain lion in KS personally, but I have family members who swear they have. They also know what a bobcat is and say it wasn't the same thing.

On a different geographical note, can anyone give me any info on pig hunting in North Carolina? Everything I see indicates its all in the western part of the state. I'll be in in the eastern part of the state. Not a good combination.

floodgate
07-05-2007, 11:47 AM
Mountain lions are unmistakeable, if you get a good look at one - they have a long, heavy, ropy tail with little or no taper from end to end - you'll never mistake one for any other animal in the continental US. The tracks are BIG, with a distinctive "M" in the middle of the pad. We have them around here in North Coastal CA, and the local Gov't. hunter gave us a good rundown on them, after we got a good look at one - twice - through binoculars, pausing on top of the chicken pasture fence with a chicken in its mouth. They aren't supposed to hunt by day, but this one didn't know the rules. BTW, a "hot" wire on 6" standoffs on the outside of the fence, 6" above the top of the 6-ft "Red Top" stopped the incursions; cats evidently don't like being zapped on the nose...

Our neighbor has had two coyote kills on his Columbia sheep "lawnmower" flock this past week; they go under fences, rather than over, and Gary (the hunter) has set a snare on a run-way he spotted. Not a good spot for shooting them, as the entrance faces the highway and a couple of neighbors' homes. We've got his remaining sheep in our double-enclosed ram paddock until the snare gets him.

We've got lots of feral pigs here; they can plow up 40 acres better than a D-6 with a ripper.

floodgate

Boz330
07-05-2007, 12:36 PM
We've got lots of feral pigs here; they can plow up 40 acres better than a D-6 with a ripper.

floodgate[/QUOTE]

Funny you should mention that. The place I selected to sit was near an area about 60ft across that looked like someone was practicing his backhoe operation. Not a plant in sight, just churned up, but surrounded by weeds and next to a wood lot and creek bottom.
Might go out again Friday nite after work and try to whack another one. Wouldn't have to buy any store bought pig that way.:roll:

Bob

pumpguy
07-07-2007, 07:01 PM
JSH,
Yeah I know there are no mountain lions in Kansas. I never saw the one running through a cemetary and pasture in Ottawa county. Oh and the one that got killed on Highway 75 just north of Holton that the Parks and rec came and picked up while we were there must have been a figment of our imagination. And the one that ran out in front of my pickup 10 years ago in Lincoln county by Hunter was just my imagination. Owell.

piwo
07-07-2007, 09:09 PM
We have feral hogs in southern and central Missouri, don't know about the north. We too have Mountain Lion, always have in small numbers but seem to be coming back a bit. Two were killed by motorists a little over a year ago: within 2 days of each other. There's some question whether they are exotics that get loose, or wild populaton. Conservation aknowledges that there is a small wild population, especially in Ozark/southern Missouri.

ebner glocken
07-08-2007, 02:02 PM
The saying around here is "where you have turkey you have cats".

Boz330
07-25-2007, 04:47 PM
The pig came out real yummy!
Bob