PDA

View Full Version : new to casting' where to find info

kd5exp
01-01-2013, 10:40 PM
Hello people, new to casting and this forum. I have just started casting bullets and was directed here from Smith and Wesson forum by MaxumumBob54 who has been helping me with a gun problem. We got it figured out and retired the S&W to the wall. I have gotten another one,Colt 38 OP and now ready to get with the making of my own boolits. I purchased a TL 38 mould and have now been told not so good of a choice. I poured about 18 pounds of 158 gr boolits but I can always melt them back down if needed. I poured some 1 oz slugs for 12 ga and some OO buckshot just to play with. some good reading material would be a good place to start. I am all ears.

1874Sharps
01-01-2013, 10:47 PM
A number of years ago I had a Colt Official Police and it shot the Lee 158 grain TL boolit quite well. I shot of load of 3.1 grains of Bullseye and it was quite accurate as well. For starting out (and even for years down the road), the Lee tumble lube boolits work just fine and have the added convenience of not requiring a lubrisizer machine or the inconvenient step of pan lubing. Over the years as money became more available I transitioned over to the Lyman and RCBS molds and lubrisizer machines. Over the course of a few years the investment certainly pays for itself in cost savings and over a lifetime the savings really add up.

retread
01-02-2013, 12:18 AM
Here's a place I found that had tons of good info: http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm
Lots on casting plus a lot more!

Retread

jethunter
01-02-2013, 02:28 PM
kd5exp - Since you have all those boolits any way it wouldn't hurt to shoot a few and find out for yourself if they work in your gun. I don't have huge experiience with LEE TL molds but the couple I have used made pretty good boolits that shot well.

blackthorn
01-02-2013, 02:35 PM
Welcome aboard!!! For reading, start with the "Stickys" found at the start of each fourm heading, and as mentioned, the lascus site. There are also several books around that are helpful such as Lymans cast bullet manual. Once you have read up a bit do not be shy of asking specific questions here.

gwpercle
01-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Welcome from Louisiana. Best book is Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. New 4th edition is out and the older 3rd edition has good info also. If you can , get both...I asked for a 4th edition for Christmas but Santa said they had sold out, but I will get it as soon as more come in. Lyman covers all aspects of casting , sizing , alloys , lubes, fluxes ....it's the boolit casting/reloading Bible and an interesting read.

gary

1Shirt
01-02-2013, 03:31 PM
Yep, get a Lyman book, read it, then read it again, and then find a knowledgable caster/reloader who is willing to work with you.
1Shirt!

dragon813gt
01-02-2013, 07:08 PM
A must read: http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

Crashbox
01-02-2013, 08:23 PM
KD5EXP- welcome to the forum.

I agree with the above posters- this site, the LASC website and Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook are all outstanding resources. I'll give a special shout out to the folks on this site, they have been most helpful to me in the short time I have been here.

73 DE N7LTH

kd5exp
01-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Thanks Guys, I have the Lyman's Cast Bullet, 4th ed and the Lyman's 49th reloading manual ordered and waiting on it to come in, should be friday. I have shot these boolits but have not sat down to see what they would groupe at. Weather just won't let me get out yet. My barel slugs out to .357 and I am using a .358 sizer and light loads. Powder not available here localy so am waiting to make another run and get some different powder. Any suggestion on powders. I have Tietgroup, 700X and a whole lot of rifle powders and a neighbor said he had some 2400 we are going to trade out. I load 38 SP and 357 Mag for my sister and was wanting something that would work for both but wishfull thinking I quess. I went a little crazy with moulding last weekend and used up all my lead. Did these TL 158 gr and some 12 ga slugs and some 00 Buckshot. It is addicting isn't it.

kd5exp
01-02-2013, 08:45 PM
retread I have downloaded the pdf file and am about half way through it so far. I found it last night and will try to finish it up tonight. Lots of good info there. Thanks

jethunter
01-03-2013, 01:09 AM
I have a pdf copy of the NRA cast bullet manual, if you'd like a copy send me a PM with your email address and i will send it to you.

kd5exp
01-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Email is kd5exp@Hotmail.com
Thanks

jethunter
01-04-2013, 03:22 AM
It's sent.

kd5exp
01-04-2013, 08:50 AM
Thanks jethunter

Shiloh
01-04-2013, 11:54 AM
Try these guys http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forum.php:kidding:

There are thousand of years of combined knowledge on this board. Folks are VERY generous in sharing their knowledge and experience.
I cast better and more accurate boolits with the knowledge gained here.

SHiloh

kd5exp
01-04-2013, 02:06 PM
I loaded up about 60 boolits wit the 700X and another 60 with the titegroup and just went out back and shot them. I was surprised how well the 700X shot( 3.0 gr ). I set a target up and sat on my picnic table and put one big hole it the target at 25 feet. The Titegroup did good but not as good. A little too strong I think. I did hit a small Dr Pepper bottle at about 50 yards but hit all around it frist. All in all I think these TL boolits are doing pretty good. No signs of leading or pressure signs. That is what I was told on the Smith and Wesson forum, you have to keep them light to shoot good. I got both my Lyman books in today so I will be reading them for a while. Thanks for the info Guys, I'll be back.

cbrick
01-04-2013, 03:13 PM
That is what I was told on the Smith and Wesson forum, you have to keep them light to shoot good.

Well, so much for casting info at the S&W site. Stick around here and you'll be amazed at both what you can learn and how many old wives tales about casting are floating around and spread like gospel.

Read this book. It's free, just down load this pdf version and print it out. This is where every new caster should start and a ton of valid info for the old salts as well.

From Ingot To Target by Glen E. Fryxell (http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf) pdf version

Rick

jethunter
01-04-2013, 04:44 PM
I loaded up about 60 boolits wit the 700X and another 60 with the titegroup and just went out back and shot them. I was surprised how well the 700X shot( 3.0 gr ). I set a target up and sat on my picnic table and put one big hole it the target at 25 feet. The Titegroup did good but not as good. A little too strong I think. I did hit a small Dr Pepper bottle at about 50 yards but hit all around it frist. All in all I think these TL boolits are doing pretty good. No signs of leading or pressure signs. That is what I was told on the Smith and Wesson forum, you have to keep them light to shoot good. I got both my Lyman books in today so I will be reading them for a while. Thanks for the info Guys, I'll be back.

Your experience on the S&W forum is a good lesson on "free advice" on internet forums - some of it is worth less than you pay for it. There are armchair experts on all forums that have never actually done anything except read about other people's experiences. Eventually these people consider themselves to be subject experts and give advice as if they actually experienced it themselves.

kd5exp
01-09-2013, 10:43 AM
cbrick, Ihave already downloaded the pdf file and read it, all 151 pages. Alot of good info there, Thanks Gene

kd5exp
01-11-2013, 06:51 PM
I have been casting 12 ga 1 oz slugs and 00 Buckshot most of the day. Got my Keith's 170 gr SWC mould in today and will start on them tomorrow. I am going to stock up on all these so as not to have to cast often. The OO buckshot mould has #4 on the back side, might make some of those also.

Qc pistolero
01-11-2013, 11:30 PM
KD5,I've been casting since the mid70's and if I'd have to have but 1 bullet type for all my 38s and 357s,the 170gr Keith SWC would be the one.You can load it down to target velocity and still have accuracy on par with the touted 148gr WC and/or put the pedal to the metal all the way up to full power .357Mag and still retain all that accuracy.Besides,the Keith SWC will keep on being accurate waaaay past the 50 or 60 yards limit of the WC.Congrats for an excellent choice you have done there!

chutesnreloads
01-11-2013, 11:49 PM
Cast my first boolits this morning but been hanging around here reading as much as possible for at least a couple years.Now you've read the pdf's and online books ...I'd suggest starting on each forum segment here and go through all the stickies at the top of each one.Incredible amount of info to be had.Glad you didn't wait as long as me to actually get started.

MtGun44
01-14-2013, 01:22 AM
Welcome. Sounds like you are already having some success. That is good.

+1 on "read the stickies"

Bill

dromia
01-14-2013, 04:36 AM
You have landed at the best source of cast boolit knowledge, just search, ask and check out the stickies.

Also our sister site Castpics, link at the bottom of the page, has a wealth of reading material old and new.