PDA

View Full Version : Mm #453400

Olevern
01-01-2013, 10:07 PM
I was just going over my box o molds looking for a few that weren't carrying their weight anymore, all the quicker to get my laid away three screw Ruger super blackhawk in my grubby little hands.

Found this mold that I don't believe I've ever cast with, must have gotten it in a multi mold purchase.

What in the world would anyone want a 400 grain .453 boolit for?

325's I shoot, even 340 grain cast, but 400? Really?

Anyway, just wondered if any of you could think of a good reason to not send theis mold on to fleabay.

I own a .454 casull and numerous .45 colts (including a Lipsey's bisley which I hot-rod ) but can't think of a scenario where I might want to touch off a heavy loaded 400 grain boolit thru any of them.

Opinions? I don't think even big piggies need that much killing!

runfiverun
01-01-2013, 10:33 PM
perfect to paper patch for a 45/70 with smokeless powder.

Olevern
01-01-2013, 10:44 PM

never thought of that...might have to hold onto it for future experimentation.

Olevern
01-02-2013, 01:54 PM

Just reflecting a bit more on your comment and, having never paper patched even one boolit, wondering how paper patching works out in a lever action magazine... Most of my .45-70's are lever actions, although I do own a stainless steel Ruger #1 in that cal. and a custom Siamese Mauser bolt, but, truth be told, 95% of the .45-70's I load go thru the lever actions.

It seems to me that crimping (which is necessary in lever actions) would damage the paper patch matl. and cause havoc with accuracy. Any thoughts?