PDA

View Full Version : Got to try out my new Hornady LNL auto charge powder dispenser today.

Ole
01-01-2013, 09:12 PM
I did a 60 round ladder (23-24 grains of IMR 4064/10 rounds each) for my .223 rifle using Hornady 68 grain match bullets.

Works pretty good. I give it an 8 (on a 1-10 scale).

I bought a Pact electronic powder dispenser probably 10 years ago and it works a lot better than that.

I paid $169.99 on sale, but Grafs has it for around $190ish now. (https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/history/1/orderId/1124312/productId/56)

I only loaded 60 rounds, but IMR 4064 is a bear to work with, so I wasn't disappointed with the one over charge/send it back in the hopper charge that it threw. These kind of electronic powder measures have come a long way in the last 10 years for sure.

A 23-24 grains charge of IMR4064 on "medium" speed was typically taking anywhere from 20 seconds to 45 seconds to dispense. Most were at the faster end of that range. Every once in a while the measure would take almost a minute to trickle up the last tenth of a grain. Most of the charges took around 30 seconds or less to dispense.

Good machine for the price if you're considering one.

Taylor
12-28-2013, 09:08 PM
I'm thinking of getting one myself.Sure would like to hear from other owners as well.

mrvmax
12-28-2013, 09:20 PM
You sometimes have to adjust the point where it slows down, depends upon the powder. I usually run mine on normal speed and adjust the slow down point accordingly. I plan on buying two extra charge pans so I can be dumping one while the other fills. It zero's before each drop so different pan weights should not matter.

VHoward
12-28-2013, 09:21 PM
I got mine from Amazon for $183 shipped. I have found that this dispenser is consistant and accurate. I too had one "overcharge" in 50 rounds. The overcharge was by 1 tenth of a grain and you have to press a button before it will dispense the next charge. This does make working with stick powders a breeze compared to the measures I have.

VHoward
12-28-2013, 09:28 PM
You sometimes have to adjust the point where it slows down, depends upon the powder. I usually run mine on normal speed and adjust the slow down point accordingly. I plan on buying two extra charge pans so I can be dumping one while the other fills. It zero's before each drop so different pan weights should not matter.
Actually, different pan weights will matter. This dispenser does not zero between each charge. You calibrate it and zero it out before each loading session. When you dispense a charge, it will trickle up to the target weight then stop and beep. Then when you remove the pan to dump it inot your case, the dispenser will read a negative weight of what the pan by itself weighs. Then when you set the same pan on the scalethe display should go back to zero. When the display reads zero, it dispenses the next charge. If you put a different powder pan on it, then it may not read zero because it may be heavier or lighter and therefore the dispenser will not dispense. If you have 3 powder pans that are exactly the same weight, then it would work like you want it to.

You can test this out by dispensing a charge, then dump out all but maybe 2 tenths of a grain of powder, then put the pan back on the dispenser. When the display does not return to zero, it will not dispense the next charge.

mrvmax
12-29-2013, 06:15 PM
Actually, different pan weights will matter. This dispenser does not zero between each charge. You calibrate it and zero it out before each loading session. When you dispense a charge, it will trickle up to the target weight then stop and beep. Then when you remove the pan to dump it inot your case, the dispenser will read a negative weight of what the pan by itself weighs. Then when you set the same pan on the scalethe display should go back to zero. When the display reads zero, it dispenses the next charge. If you put a different powder pan on it, then it may not read zero because it may be heavier or lighter and therefore the dispenser will not dispense. If you have 3 powder pans that are exactly the same weight, then it would work like you want it to.

You can test this out by dispensing a charge, then dump out all but maybe 2 tenths of a grain of powder, then put the pan back on the dispenser. When the display does not return to zero, it will not dispense the next charge.
Perhaps your is older and is programmed different, mine zero's before each drop. If it is within a couple of tenths of a grain it will zero out and drop another charge. Greater than about 4 tenths it will not zero out. If I buy two pans I can shave off some metal to get them close to the same weight and it will work.

VHoward
12-29-2013, 10:03 PM
Mine is brand spankin new. Had it about a month and used it once so far. I would test your theory out before you start buying more pans.

mrvmax
12-30-2013, 05:15 AM
Mine is brand spankin new. Had it about a month and used it once so far. I would test your theory out before you start buying more pans.
I already have, I would not have posted it if I could not do it. There must be some differences in our machines, mine always zero's before dropping.

VHoward
12-30-2013, 10:35 AM
Mine goes back to zero also when I use the same pan. Mine will not dispense the next charge until it reads zero.

randy_68
12-30-2013, 12:23 PM
I bought one a few months ago and I really like it. It is very sensitive to vibrations etc. My grandkids were playing and if they would jump or close the door hard it would throw it off. I have had a few overcharges but I think it works great otherwise. Sure is faster than the Lee scale I used before. Also when checking charges against my 1500 electronic scale it is right on.