PDA

View Full Version : Bench Construction Question

buyobuyo
01-01-2013, 07:26 PM
I've recently moved, and I need to deconstruct my bench to get it into the room where it will live now. When I originally built it I used wood screws to put it together. Now that I have to take it apart, I want to modify it and use carriage bolts when I put it back together. My plan it to drill it for the carriage bolts before I take it all apart. However, I'm note exactly sure what size or how many bolts to use per joint. My thinking is that 1/4" or 3/8" bolts would be plenty strong.

This is what I'm thinking for how to run the bolts on the corners. For the center to legs, I would either just do one bolt in the center or two staggered bolts like in the side view.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/buyobuyo/gun_related/BenchBoltPattern_zps80b8cf3a.jpg

Here is a picture of the bench, so you'll have an idea of what I'm working with. The hutch and top are 3/4" plywood (top is 2 layers glued&screwed). The frame supporting the top and the shelf below are 2x4. The legs are 4x4s, and the top of the self is 2x6. It is 7' long x 30" wide x 40" tall (floor-to-work surface).

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b40/buyobuyo/gun_related/IMG_0004.jpg

VHoward
01-01-2013, 08:00 PM
I would do the two bolts in the side view.

buyobuyo
01-01-2013, 08:19 PM
That's what I was leaning toward since it's how I did the wood screws when I originally constructed it.

Kevin Rohrer
01-01-2013, 09:30 PM
Mine is constructed of 3/8" bolts so it is strong, and I am able to disassemble it if necessary.

o6Patient
01-02-2013, 08:15 AM
You could drive a truck on that bench, looks plenty stable.

Doc Highwall
01-02-2013, 12:20 PM
I build mine the same way but without the offset of the two bolts. I make the top with the frame as one piece and the two legs for each side are joined together with a separate back brace that connects to the left and right legs. This allows me to dissemble it making it easy to move it through doorways and to be assembled in a new location like when moving.