PDA

View Full Version : 45 shooters may want to try this.

flydoc
01-01-2013, 05:04 PM
I like shooting my 45 Hawken but was a little annoyed with the reloading speed, what with having to grab the powder,patch,ball,and the starter. My barrel is a slow twist, so it prefers RB for best accuracy and commercial sabots are a little pricey and not as accurate for me. I came up with this solution to load faster and retain the accuracy of using RB. I found that the .451 RB boolits I cast for my 44 BP revolver were a press-fit in my rifle barrel, so I took some 45 sabots, cut off the petals, turned it upside down and had a cup to lightly glue in the ball . Now my "speed-loads" are easier to load and my accuracy was retained. Took a nine-pointer at 60 yds with one last month and the projectile I recovered from it showed good rifling all around. The speed-loaders I had were not as fast to reload as this is. Pre-measured powder in an old camera film case and one of these makes for quicker reloads for me. I can thumb-press this in without needing the starter. It may not work as well for you if your barrel is a little tighter or looser. Worth a try.

idahoron
01-01-2013, 06:58 PM
They sold those years ago. They called them the polly patch. Ron

fcvan
01-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Good tip, thanks for sharing. I'm planning on something similar by using paper pulp to mold a wad cup and press the moisture out. Once it dries I figured to put a little lube on the wad.

DIRT Farmer
01-01-2013, 10:41 PM
Put it all in a 2 inch piece of 1/2 PVC with two caps and you have a speed loader.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
01-03-2013, 04:14 PM
Good tip, thanks for sharing. I'm planning on something similar by using paper pulp to mold a wad cup and press the moisture out. Once it dries I figured to put a little lube on the wad.

I wonder if you made the pulp with some oil soap in it if that would be enough lube

that or put a lube cake under it

DODGEM250
01-06-2013, 06:08 PM
I glue the cut sabot base to a .45 bullet and get the same effect. ( CVA PowerBelt ?) Interested now...

You could also convert to the Lee REAL bullets and leave the patches and sabots at home.

Tao77
01-10-2013, 09:56 PM
I glue the cut sabot base to a .45 bullet and get the same effect. ( CVA PowerBelt ?) Interested now...

You could also convert to the Lee REAL bullets and leave the patches and sabots at home.
Could you tell how?

poppgunner
01-26-2013, 05:02 AM
they, are like the knew federal shotgun loads. should shoot well at short distance. energy dropped offat around 75 yeards in 12 ga