PDA

View Full Version : Need hardness test done.

DeadWoodDan
01-01-2013, 04:58 PM
Not sure what we have and would rather confirm with others more knowledgeable and with equipment. My brother picked the ingot up last year and was told it was Tin. I smelted it down today into smaller ingots. I wish i had a thermometer to check the melting temp. so to give some clue. Plan on ordering one this week always wanted one anyway. Any recommendation for thermometer?

So i have two boolits i poured and some other thin sheet type samples i can send anyone and everyone willing to give me some input. I accidentally dumped some alloy on garage floor thinking the ingot had cooled enough to drop. It made a nice sheet to cut into 1" or larger strips. Not sure how much is needed to give some results?

Please let me know if your willing to help and i will send the samples out ASAP. Don't want the samples back just your results.

Thanks
DWD

runfiverun
01-01-2013, 07:36 PM
when you get that thermometer you will be able to determine the tin easy nuff.
linotype has a low melt point also and you have to differentiate it from a tin mix by weight.
but tin versus ww alloy is + 100-f different in melt point.
linotype just melts without a slush stage. [clue]
being able to figure this stuff out with little clues is going to pay off big time in the future.

True.grit
01-01-2013, 10:58 PM
I would use the ol fingernail scrach test. Tin will not scatch as easy as lead. good luck

DeadWoodDan
01-02-2013, 04:47 PM
this stuff scratched pretty easy IMO.

runfiverun
01-02-2013, 06:50 PM
anything much harder than ww's is tough to dig into with a finger nail.
i can scuff 5/5
ww's i can lightly gouge/scrape.
lead i can scratch and get a little divot.

Sasquatch-1
01-03-2013, 09:19 AM
There was someone here who will actually analyse your lead for you. Can't remember his handle but try a search and see what comes up. That way you will know for sure.