PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Precision

Tatume
01-01-2013, 08:55 AM
Hello Folks,

Are any of you familiar with the work of Jim Stroh at Alpha Precision. I'm considering sending my Super Blackhawk to him for accuracy work and sights. I'd like to hear from people who had work done.

Thanks, Tom

Nobade
01-01-2013, 10:35 AM
No first hand experience but have read lots of glowing reports. He is supposedly one of the greats for revolver work in the US now.

Tatume
01-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Thanks Nobade,

I think I'm going to ask him to recrown the barrel, re-cut the forcing cone, and do his Taylor throating job on my SBH.

Take care, Tom

376Steyr
01-01-2013, 01:19 PM
I had him convert a S&W 686 to 44 Special about a year ago, with me supplying a 696 cylinder and barrel that had already been re-bored to 44. After some preliminary emails, I sent in a letter with a check for a deposit. I spent about 6 months on his waiting list, then got an email saying I could send my gun in. I sent it in with the parts and a check for the balance. Just a few weeks later I got it back, and it is now the gem of my collection. I was very happy with his work.

Silver Jack Hammer
01-01-2013, 01:27 PM
A guy I shoot with is a gun machinist and he speaks glowingly of Alpha Precision. He stated that you can order the rate of twist you want, and Jim will discuss you his recommendation of which rate of twist, based on the boolit you plan to use in your new re-bore.

Tatume
01-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Hello Folks,

My email to Jim Stroh ( jim@alphaprecisioninc.com ) was returned marked undeliverable. Does anyone have a current email address?

Thanks, Tom

cbrick
01-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Just checked his web site and that is the email address listed. Perhaps an internet glitch of some kind, maybe waiting a day or two would help.

I just read his page on revolver accuracy, geez, I been trying to tell people here the exact same thing for years. I should just cut & paste his page the next time revolver accuracy comes up.

Rick

Tatume
01-02-2013, 07:01 AM
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software. A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed: jim@alphaprecisioninc.com

Nevertheless, I got a reply from Jim Stroh. So, I don't know what's up, but everything seems to be working out.

cbrick
01-02-2013, 01:59 PM
Cyberspace is a mighty strange place. I once got an email from a friend 3 weeks after he sent it. :roll:

Be interesting to hear about his work on your gun once you get it back.

Rick

Tatume
01-02-2013, 03:50 PM
Thanks for encouraging me Rick. I'll try to do some before and after testing.

Tatume
01-19-2013, 01:39 PM
Hi Rick,

Yesterday I shot five five-shot groups with the 5-1/2" SBH at 25 yards: largest 4.61", smallest 2.30", average 3.47". For comparison, I also shot a group with my 6" FA M83 454 Casull, also with iron sights, that went 1.11". I'm anxious to see how the SBH will shoot after Jim Stroh works his magic on it.

Take care, Tom

cbrick
01-20-2013, 12:23 PM
Hi Rick,

Yesterday I shot five five-shot groups with the 5-1/2" SBH at 25 yards: largest 4.61", smallest 2.30", average 3.47". For comparison, I also shot a group with my 6" FA M83 454 Casull, also with iron sights, that went 1.11". I'm anxious to see how the SBH will shoot after Jim Stroh works his magic on it. Take care, Tom

What kind of turn around time did he mention? Also, for the work you mentioned what are his rates? When are you going to get it shipped to him? I'm pretty curious about his work & outcome.

Rick

ole 5 hole group
01-20-2013, 12:40 PM
Here's Jim's site with his prices:

http://www.alphaprecisioninc.com/

I've had a couple dealings with Jim and his work has always been top notch and timely.

Tatume
01-20-2013, 04:40 PM
Hi Rick,

Instead if shipping my gun to him and storing it in his safe, he had me send a deposit. When he gets to my name on his list he will notify me and I'll ship the gun then. I have it all packed and ready to go, on my desk before me as I write this. The Taylor throating, re-crown of the muzzle, and re-cut of the forcing cone costs $183. I'll post updates as I have info.

Take care, Tom

Porterhouse
01-20-2013, 07:02 PM
Yes, he's work is top notch, timely, and very reasonable in my opinion.

Tatume
07-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Hello Folks,

The Super Blackhawk came back and I took it to the range today. The new taller front sight allowed me to adjust elevation correctly. The rear sight ran out of adjustment, so now the gun is shooting to the right. There was no improvement in accuracy; it is abysmal.

Accuracy of this revolver has been awful from the day I got it. It was purchased new as a Christmas gift from my wife, and I am reluctant to get rid of it for sentimental reasons. I do not consider the fact that Mr. Stroh's work did not correct the problem to be a reflection on Mr. Stroh. Mr. Stroh did his Taylor throating modification, recut the forcing cone, and recut the crown. The problem with the revolver is something else.

It was worth a try, it didn't work, and now I have to explore other options.

Take care, Tom

MtGun44
07-08-2013, 04:27 PM
What are the throat diameters and what size boolits are you using?

Do you know if it has a thread constriction or not?

Bill

Nobade
07-08-2013, 06:10 PM
What are the throat diameters and what size boolits are you using?

Do you know if it has a thread constriction or not?

Bill

You beat me to it! At least we know there's no thread constriction, that's what the Taylor throating is for. But if the boolits don't fit the cylinder it still won't shoot very well. BTW, what caliber is this revolver?

-Nobade

Tatume
07-08-2013, 08:11 PM
The Ruger Super Blackhawk is a 44 Rem Mag. The throats and bore both measure 0.430", which was the first thing I thought of years ago. The only flaw I can find is one chamber is out of round and bulges cases near the case head. While this causes hard extraction, it does not explain the inaccuracy. I'm shooting Sierra 240 gr JHP bullets.

The only thing I haven't tried is fire lapping. But I've owned this gun since the mid nineties, and have shot a couple of thousand jacketed bullets through it. It should be smooth by now.

I think it might be a bad barrel, but I don't see anything out of wack.

Take care, Tom

357Ruger
07-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Tom,

Have you tried sending it back to Ruger. They have always taken care of my problems which have been few for the number of Rugers I own.

Scott.

DougGuy
07-08-2013, 09:06 PM
If he sends it back I doubt it would be taylor throated when they return it to him.

Did Jim Stroh ream the cylinder throats? Do you know their sizes and are they smaller than the bore? If so that would be a major contributor of poor groups. It may even need a new cylinder. If it is taylor throated, then that rids it of one very serious problem, and so if it still won't group, maybe the issue that made it shoot poorly before hasn't been addressed yet and is still a factor.

Also do you have the factory trigger spring on it? Shooting a single action requires a little training on your trigger finger to not pull the sights out of alignment during lock time. The lighter Wolff trigger return spring works great and it will help you in not pulling the sights off after the shot breaks.

You could however call Ruger's Customer Service and see if you can get Gil on the phone, ask him if you sent it in after having Mr. Stroh work on it if they would not change out the barrel but look to see what is making it shoot so poorly. Well worth a shot, and Gil is highly recommended by quite a few people.

Char-Gar
07-10-2013, 10:32 AM
I have owned many, many revolvers over the years and I have learned there are good ones and there are bad ones. Spending money on a bad one trying to make it a good one is not money well spent.

Tweaking a revolver that you are happy with is often a good thing. But, never spend a dime on a revolver that makes you unhappy. Sell it down river, take the hit, buy something else and soldier on.

I had to learn this the hard way!!!

Char-Gar
07-10-2013, 10:36 AM
Guys, if you send a revolver to Ruger that has been modified, it will come back to you with every modified part replaced and everything to full factory standards. For liability reasons, nothing goes out of their door, that is not full factory spec.

Tatume
07-12-2013, 07:27 AM
Hi Fellows,

The SBH is going back to Ruger today. I know I'll lose the custom work, but the gun is no good to me as it is. If anyone is interested, I'll report test results after Ruger works on it.

Take care, Tom

jrayborn
07-12-2013, 11:50 PM
Hey Tom, I'm interested, please let us know how it goes. Thanks!

dougader
07-13-2013, 01:15 AM
I'd like to know what Ruger comes up with, too.

Arctic Blues
08-22-2013, 08:20 PM
Yeah, me 3 :)

Tatume
08-23-2013, 06:53 AM
Hi Fellows,

I'm sorry, I should have posted this here before now.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?208450-Ruger-came-back

Take care, Tom