PDA

View Full Version : What if the gas checks can be picked off??

Jeffery8mm
01-01-2013, 12:45 AM
I recently cast up several hundred of the RD165gr 30 cal bullets and installed gas checks with the lee sizer while sizing the bullets. I used some older copper checks that i believe were lyman checks. Even after going through the Lee sizer, you can pick the checks off with your fingernail. Is this gonna adversely affect accuracy??
Really dont want to pick them all off and resize them using hornady checks unless it is absolutely necessary.
Any thought??
I will shoot these in a win 94 30-30. Could use them as my plinking load with Unique if need be.
Thanks
Jeff

fryboy
01-01-2013, 01:16 AM
not good if set below the shoulder neck junction , leaving me to suggest a dab of stupid glue ;)

eka
01-01-2013, 02:59 AM
Checks can be annealed therefore reducing the springback. I use a small length of metal pipe with end caps on both ends. Put your checks in the pipe with some newspaper. The newspaper burns and consumes the oxygen keeping the checks from getting scaly. Throw the pipe into the fireplace, charcoal grill, or other fire. Let the pipe stay in there until all is cooled. Fish out the pipe and you're good to go. I personally use my charcoal grill most of the time or occasionally my fire pit on my patio.

Willbird
01-01-2013, 09:17 AM
I would thing you do not want to overly tighten the caps ?...leave them loose so it does not burst ?
Checks can be annealed therefore reducing the springback. I use a small length of metal pipe with end caps on both ends. Put your checks in the pipe with some newspaper. The newspaper burns and consumes the oxygen keeping the checks from getting scaly. Throw the pipe into the fireplace, charcoal grill, or other fire. Let the pipe stay in there until all is cooled. Fish out the pipe and you're good to go. I personally use my charcoal grill most of the time or occasionally my fire pit on my patio.

cbrick
01-01-2013, 09:25 AM
IF they are in fact the "old Lyman" checks they were not crimp on checks like the Hornady and will come off. I think the new Lyman checks are crimp on and are made for Lyman by Hornady.

Rick

Keyston44
01-01-2013, 10:56 AM
I can pry my check off too. I've shot lots of these without any problems. Then I heard of a gas check coming off and hitting the chronograph screen and breaking it. Since then I've put a drop of super glue on before crimping them on.

Key

RU shooter
01-01-2013, 11:00 AM
when I first started shooting and making alum. checks I had quite a few batches that didnt size on firmly and they shot just fine accuracy wise .

Jeffery8mm
01-01-2013, 11:16 AM
Thanks guys!! Gonna use these for my low power plinking load for offhand practice!!
Jeff

1Shirt
01-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Well for what it is worth, I have always worried about checks coming off when below the neck, but have not had any problem that I know of. I am a user of dac fill (ya know the warnings), and think that boolits with the check below the neck may rest on the dac and have always considered that as a factor. Possibly some others may have the same thoughts, or maybe not. Just my opinion.
1Shirt!