PDA

View Full Version : Rossi R92-56001 - Have the feeding problems been fixed ?

BACKTOSHOOTING
12-31-2012, 04:22 PM
Looking at the Rossi R92 in 357 mag and read some old post that they had lots of feeding problems with 357 Mag not feeding and QC in the machineing. Rough feeling cycleing and Hit and miss whether you get a good one or not and want to know what say you now about there products.

Steve

fecmech
12-31-2012, 05:41 PM
I purchased 2 Braztech Rossi's( new ones made by Taurus) in the past couple years. Feed function fit and accuracy have been very good with both guns(.357's). QC has been better since Taurus took them over IMO. If you are concerned about,it load some dummy rounds within Sammi specs using various bullets( no primers or powder) and take them to the gun shop with you to try feeding. I would decap the brass so no one gets nervous about the dummies. If the gun won't feed don't buy it. The Rossi 92's are well made little rifles IMO.

BACKTOSHOOTING
12-31-2012, 05:50 PM
I purchased 2 Braztech Rossi's( new ones made by Taurus) in the past couple years. Feed function fit and accuracy have been very good with both guns(.357's). QC has been better since Taurus took them over IMO. If you are concerned about,it load some dummy rounds within Sammi specs using various bullets( no primers or powder) and take them to the gun shop with you to try feeding. I would decap the brass so no one gets nervous about the dummies. If the gun won't feed don't buy it. The Rossi 92's are well made little rifles IMO.

No dealers here in San diego, will probably buy from Buds online or possably private local

Ragnarok
12-31-2012, 06:26 PM
I bought a stainless .44 mag two years ago as a utility gun. While it's not a 'masterpiece' of the fine gunmakers art...it ain't too bad.

The sight regulation could've been better from the box...the buttstock wood/metal fit could be better too...the little wing-safety on the bolt is black and looks horrible on a stainless gun(I took it off)

No issues with load, feed, fire, or function at all. The action is nice and smooth with just some lube and working. Accuracy is excellent once I tweeked the sights to suit me.

For my uses the stainless 20" M92 .44 mag is perfect. I really think I'm going to 'scout-scope' this thing if I can find an optic I like.

MT Gianni
12-31-2012, 07:30 PM
Mine has an issue with long bullets in the 357. It is accurate and easy to shoot.

runfiverun
01-01-2013, 01:37 AM
some of the newer ones don't like to shoot anything over 125 or 150ish grains.
i have one 357 from just before taurus took over, it doesn't feed 158 swc's in 38 brass at all.
it will feed 158 rnfp's and 180 tc's just fine though in 357 brass, which is what i bought it to be.
can't complain though.
as my 25-20 winchester made in 1924 carbine will feed a
72 gr cast boolit just fine.
my rifle version made in 1928 won't because of the oal.
they'll chamber fine and single shoot great,just won't feed from the tube.

Four Fingers of Death
01-01-2013, 01:39 AM
I have two, a 357 of unknown vintage (the one in my avitar) I haven't used many 357s in it, but would have shot at least a hundred or more without an issue and have fired thousands and thousands and thousands of 38 Specials through it without a problem.

The SS 44 I bought in 2005 or therabouts I haven't shot a lot, but it feeds 44mags ok and at cowboy action match speed, has the occasional hiccup with 44Specials. It never actually comletely fails to feed, but is a bit jerky or rough occasionally. In it's defence I have never really persisted with it.

But, the 357, cheapest rifle I have ever bought (apart from some milsurps and bubbas) and I have to say, one of the best rifles I have ever owned, I wouldn't part with it period (I wouldn't get much for it anyway, lol, but I love it).

The finish on both is pretty good, sights are a bit sad wood to metal finish is ok but the wood is very ordinary (although I love the folded sheet metal sight on the 357, looks like sin on the cheap but great, easy to acquire sight picture).

These guns are good, but if you want a silk purse, you may have to inject a little elbow grease and maybe a few dollars to upgrade sights a spring or two and replace the plastic follower (which works perfectly on mine, but looks disgusting. I have had a SS Steve's Gunz follower, but never got around to fitting it. If I could see the follower from the outside, I probably would have replaced it straightaway, haha!).

marlin39a
01-01-2013, 09:03 AM
I recently purchased a new Rossi 92, 357, case colored, 24" octagon. I have had no problems with the Lee 358-158-RF in 38 spl or 357 mag. I guess I got a good one.

USMCGrunt
01-09-2013, 12:55 AM
I got an EMF Hartford (Rossi) 24" .357/.38 Special for my now-ex wife for SASS shooting must have been around 2003 or so. Wife is gone but I still got the rifle so good deal for me!:-D Anyways, this is from back when they were coming in without the funky idiot-button so this one is a keeper! It feeds .357 Magnum just fine but shoots about 6-8" high at 100 yards with the sights as low as they will go. No problem since it was bought with the intention of using light loaded .38 Specials. She was always a gamer but I was a Warthog with a love for .45 Colt and .44-40 with full powder BP loads but since it was her idea, I loaded up light .38 Special ammo. Here's where a problem popped up. While it worked great with the longer .357 Magnums, the shorter .38 Specials would tend to flip out of the top when cycled with any amount of snappiness of the lever. Turns out this is not an uncommon problem and many Marlin 1894 owners reported the same problems with their rifles as well. At the time, a guy named Snakebite on the SASS boards came up with a custom designed 160 grain cast bullet mould frm Lee. The bullet was a little longer than the typical 158 grain cast bullets and there was a pretty good group buy on a 6-cavity gang mould so I got 2 of them. Cast up a few bullets and it worked great with the feeding problems completely gone and shooting those bullets over 4 grains of Unique, it's right on the money at 100 yards. Oh, as far as the ex goes, I still have a son that will one day be old enough to get into SASS shooting so that old Rossi and the 2, .38 Cimmaron Lightnings will be his too. :)

Miles
11-11-2016, 11:51 PM
Looking at the Rossi R92 in 357 mag and read some old post that they had lots of feeding problems with 357 Mag not feeding and QC in the machineing. Rough feeling cycleing and Hit and miss whether you get a good one or not and want to know what say you now about there products. Steve
****** My new Rossi 92 in .357 Mag would not feed .357's at all. It took a couple of hours of work and now it feeds perfectly. I flat sanded everything that rubbed against another part right down to 600 grit emery, changed the angle of the hook on the left side cartridge guide and polished and lowered the front of the lifter so cartridges could enter the chamber at a lower angle. After that work it is the slickest working lever gun I have ever owned.
Miles

Four Fingers of Death
11-12-2016, 03:04 AM
I loaded up light .38 Special ammo. Here's where a problem popped up. While it worked great with the longer .357 Magnums, the shorter .38 Specials would tend to flip out of the top when cycled with any amount of snappiness of the lever. Turns out this is not an uncommon problem and many Marlin 1894 owners reported the same problems with their rifles as well. At the time, a guy named Snakebite on the SASS boards came up with a custom designed 160 grain cast bullet mould frm Lee. The bullet was a little longer than the typical 158 grain cast bullets

Dan Rhody at Big Lube Bullets sells a similar (may be the same) 6 cavity mould. I bought one when I had a 357Marlin, but had a dollar free period and sold it before I used the mould. I never went out of my way to try it as my el cheapo Rossi 92 feeds anything.

Deep Six
11-12-2016, 02:39 PM
Never had feeding problems with my Rossi. Just a bent barrel followed by a replacement gun with another bent barrel. After that I gave up and just adjusted the sights to compensate. It took all the windage adjustment available but it hits where I aim now.

Speedo66
11-13-2016, 05:11 PM
I can only imagine what the factory floor is like in the Rossi plant with so many hit or miss examples. I bought mine a year and a half ago, and it will feed anything. Sights were pretty much on right out of the box. Fit and finish were perfect. No issue with the dreaded barrel band screw. I read so many horror stories about them, it's hard to imagine they all come from the same place.

Quality control should be more than just taking a chance as to what you'll get, their end users deserve better.

BigEyeBob
11-13-2016, 08:32 PM
I bought one in 357 24" octagonal barrel in stainless ,no button safety .
Fed factory ammo in 38 special and 357 ok from the box. Sights were way too low , couldnt get the back sight down far enough ,removed the sights and fitted a marbles sportsman rear with windage adjustment and a lower fire sight in the front ,its good now and is spot on at 75yds.
Mine was rough out of the box , I stripped it and with a fine stone polished and cleaned all contact parts of machining burrs and high spots ,put it back together and flooded the action with oil and cycled it at least 250 times ,then I stripped it again and checked for high spots and stoned them off ,cleaned it again and reassembled it ,and cycled it a few more times ,it was much much slicker and a whole lot smoother. I loaded up some 158 jwords with 17gns of 296win and took it out ,five shots and the magazine tube flew out forwards .Back home and I checked the screw that holds the magazine tube in and it was still in position ,it appeared that there was a lot of slop in between the magazine tube and the carrier,and the dimple in the barrel was only shallow ,adding to the problem ,allowing the screw to jump out of the dimple and the mag spring to push the tube right out of its seat in the action.
I set the gun up on milling machine and drilled the dimple to just less than half the barrel thickness and at 4mm diameter.I machined up a new mag plug and drilled and tapped a larger thread 4.5mm ,then I machined a new screw to suit ,the problem is gone and max loads don't unseat the magazine any longer.
I also found that loading gets awkward when the mag gets around 7 or more cartridges in it , I removed the mag spring and cut two cartridge lengths off it ,it much better ,but probably could do with a bit more off it ,say half a cartridge length.I machnied up a new magazine follower from stainlees 316 while I had it aprt , the plastic one has a reputation of crumbling up after a while.
One thing that sh*ts me off is the distance it tosses the empties , way over the shoulder into the next county .Needs the ejector spring changing out with a Winchester one from Homestead I think. Both my vintage Winchesters pop the empty straight up and drop them at my feet or into my top pocket when all is good and the planets are aligned. Loading gate spring needs some work as well and the razor sharp edge removed from the front edge of the loading port.
IMHO the Rossi is not comparable to a nice vintage Winchester but if you are prepared to do some work on them ,they are not bad value for the money ,I consider them a kit gun though.Mine is pretty good ,nowhere near my 1910 vintage 92 or the 1898 73 of course they are not chambered in 357mag but they are much nicer and have the quality that Winchester was famous for.

Tackleberry41
11-14-2016, 05:28 PM
Rossi its hard to say one way or another, might get a great one, might not. My 45 colt was pretty rough internally out of the box. It liked to hang up alot feeding, beveled the edge of the ejector like it should be works fine now. Might seem its a OAL length issue, but the rims were hanging up on the the rough straight edge. That bevel fixed it where it doesn't really care so long as they are not overly long where wouldn't fit anyways. Been tempted to look at a 357 model, if the shop ever gets one in.