PDA

View Full Version : Difference in 357 sig dies

N1YDP
12-31-2012, 02:13 PM
i have lee and hornady dies and noticed a difference in the shoulder.
first one in the pic from left to right.used lee 40 s&w die then hornady 357 sig die
second one is just hornady die
third is lee 357 sig die.the shoulder on the lee die is higher.57167

shotman4
12-31-2012, 03:30 PM
do they chamber? they are pain to reload . most cast dont work and have to have straight side and no check . I give up

N1YDP
12-31-2012, 05:06 PM
the lead rn i cast i tried some i sized to .356 and they chanbered well.the ones i didnt size did not lock up good.that was before i saw the case difference.

Bwana
12-31-2012, 05:37 PM
That Hornady die pushed the shoulder back way too far. The Lee sized case looks right. I use a RCBS die set. If I think I need to flare the mouth I use a 9mm expander die. I also use a Lee 357 Sig collet crimp die on my cast boolit 357 Sig loads.

N1YDP
01-01-2013, 08:12 AM
i matched it up with new winchester brass it matches with the hornady.
left is hornady middle new brass right lee.
witch one should i use?57244

Bwana
01-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Despite what was "common knowledge" during the first few years the 357 Sig was out, the case headspaces on the shoulder not the mouth. When you size it is best to set the shoulder back only enough to chamber easily. Just like any shouldered rifle round. That the factory Winchester case more closely matches the Hornady sized case is not suprising. It has to fit ALL the chambers out there. After you have picked up fired 357 Sig brass for 13 years like I have you will realize the variations in chamber dimemsions there are in various makers guns. It doesn't matter because you will be fitting it to your gun. I guess I lucked out because my RCBS size die, when seated against the shellholder, is perfect for the Lone Wolf bbl and the G32 factory bbl.

MT Gianni
01-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Load two bullets to suggested OAL. Show us pictures of how each fit in our bbl [removed from gun of course] and we can see which will work best in your gun.

blpenn66502
01-01-2013, 02:22 PM
The method I've used for 357 SIG sizing is to remove the barrel and set up the sizing die so the case drops in just slightly below flush (a few thousandths) with the back of the barrel, headspacing off the shoulder, however, the SAAMI drawing for the 357 SIG shows headspacing on the cartridge mouth:
http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC_Drawings/Pistol/357%20Sig.pdf
I believe using shoulder is a better option and you don't have to worry about how a crimp will impact headspacing.

N1YDP
01-01-2013, 02:34 PM
i think it head spaces on the shoulder because i took my barrel out and droped in each case and the hornady one sat just below the end.the lee one seemed to be flush or a tad bit higher than the end. i have heard of reloaders grinding down the shell holder to get the shoulder back more.i will have to load some up and try it.