PDA

View Full Version : Boolit alignment problems

mto7464
07-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Loading some cast boolits for m1 carbine. I use the Lee expander prior to try to seating the boolit. I try to get the boolit lined up as best as I can but some of them are not going in straight. Could this be the Lee bullet seater not fitting the nose of the boolit good enough? Or what?

Buckshot
07-04-2007, 02:01 AM
..............I dont know which slug you're using, but it very well could be nothing more then a very short slug being difficult to seat straight. Especially a RN design.

.................Buckshot

Jon K
07-04-2007, 02:27 AM
Use a Lyman neck expander(M) die, or a Custom Expander -Buffalo Arms(fits RCBS,Lyman,4-D,Redding). That should make it easier and take care of the problem. Expand to slip fit at the case mouth and .001"-.002" neck tension, then seat and crimp.

Jon
:castmine:

357maximum
07-04-2007, 03:08 AM
Hard to tell exactly what your issue with with the details given. Sounds to me like you are fighting it, just set the boolit on the casemouth ever so lightly and let the machine do the work. If you stick the boolit hard enough kittywampass the press will have to try to undo what you have done and with short boolits it is sometimes impossible for the press/die to fix you oopsies.

Lloyd Smale
07-04-2007, 05:38 AM
9mms are notorious for this too. What will help is a seating plug desinged just for that bullet. Buy a new plug for a bullet design that is as close as possible and then put a dab of jb weld on it and put a bullet nose coated in oil into the jb to get an impression and then let it set up. You will still have to be very careful when placeing a bullet in the case to insure that it is as straight as possible. I actually sold a 9mm that i couldnt get to shoot and noticed afterward that it was probably my ammo that was causing it. It can be hard to control loading on a progessive press. A guy has a tendency just to rattle out ammo and not even check what hes doing.

nicholst55
07-07-2007, 09:17 PM
"9mms are notorious for this too. "

Try loading for .32 ACP! Them short, (relatively) skinny little boolits are a real PITA to get seated straight. I've found that making a reverse imprint of your boolit in epoxy on the seating stem helps a great deal.

mto7464
07-08-2007, 12:27 PM
thx. some good suggestions.