PDA

View Full Version : Primer Shortage??

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
12-31-2012, 12:18 PM
So from what I have heard, from quite a few reputable sources, is that the primer shortage has largely been caused by a new military contract that was split between Winchester and Federal, so all their primers are going towards manufacturing ammo for Uncle Sam. So presumably the shortage in other brands has been caused by the run on ammo and, well, by people like us.

If anyone has supporting OR conflicting information I'd like to hear it.

1Shirt
12-31-2012, 03:00 PM
Might be, but with the buying frenzy right now, it is hard to tell!
1Shirt!

375supermag
12-31-2012, 04:22 PM
I wouldn't know about any gov. contracts, but...

The local Gander Mtn (York,Pa)and Bass Pro Shop (Harrisburg,Pa) were basically out of powder and primers yesterday. There were some rifle powders available, but almost all of the handgun powders were empty shelves.
I wouldn't normally buy from either one because they are usually over-priced, but I was there anyway so I checked. The prices listed were about $4-5 per pound higher than the LGS. Primers were available at $4 per hundred. That is $8 more per thousand compared to the LGS.

I will probably check after the holidays at my LGS, most have been closed since Christmas Eve.
My supplies are starting to run low since I am starting to gear up for the beginning of the shooting season this coming spring.

I expect to increase the amount of loaded rounds in each handgun caliber I load (7) to c.1000 each, so my current stash of primers and powders will need replenished by the time I reach that figure. I still need to buy some additional brass and cases also to reach the 1000 quantity for .44Special and .45AutoRim.

Most of the increase is because of my son's increased shooting and the fact that I also reload .357Mag for a friend (he will need at least 1000 rounds to start the season himself).

Kevin Rohrer
12-31-2012, 04:54 PM
Since Congress and the Prez can't get off their hands, our military won't need many primers after today.

But seriously, the current shortage is most likely due to the end-of-year work slowdown, post-election hoarding, and anti-gun scare hoarding. It will pass.

Smart reloaders will keep at least one case of each type set back for lean times such as this. 8-)

gkainz
12-31-2012, 05:13 PM
Sportsmans warehouse Denver today-only large rifle magnums (couple of boxes) and shotgun primers on the shelf.

1hole
12-31-2012, 05:42 PM
"...from what I have heard, from quite a few reputable sources..."

Perhaps the same sources who told it was due to military demands in '08? When then, as now, there was little military action going on. Naw, it's frantic hoarding by us.

Fear drives a lot of purchasing. It was quite silly in '08 because there was no way the incoming donkeys could have sprung anything on us very quickly. This time their unveiled threats to liberty are quite real; America sold her liberty for promises of bread and circuses at the expense of 'other' people and what's coming isn't going to be pretty to watch. But those who liked the last four years will LOVE what's coming ... I suppose.

dragon813gt
12-31-2012, 06:29 PM
After seeing the selection(meaning little to non) at the Hamburg, PA Cabela's I can tell you it's caused by us. Small pistol primer stock has been up and down for every retailer all year. But that Cabela's is always well stocked for powder, primers and bullets. I will assume it's because of their high prices but there aren't many people in my area that reload. They had no small size primers of any brand, both pistol and rifle. The powder shelf was at best a quarter full. More like fifteen percent. Surprisingly there was a decent variety if Hodgdon powders but all the Winchester was cleaned out. I guess people like paying more for the same powder. The bullet selection was almost nonexistent in common calibers. And the ammo and magazine shelves were very bare.

It's common for their stock to be a little low with it being after Christmas. But this was straight up panic buying. I'm glad I'm well ahead of the game right now. And I know there is a potential threat this time around. But people are whipped into a frenzy rather easily. I didn't even bother looking at any firearms since I know there were no deals and extremely long lines.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-31-2012, 07:28 PM
Primer shortage.?.?????????

Well,not for those folk who are smart enough to always keep a good stock on hand!

Same as food, if you eat hand to mouth, IT WILL come back and bite you sooner or later.

This is the same thing that happened during the Clinton error and just 4 years ago with the start of the obamanation.

However, there was planty of components to be had during the year before the recent obamanation, so why were we not all stocked up then?

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

jmorris
12-31-2012, 09:21 PM
Don't know about now but ordered 20k in Oct, in stock back then.

I don't think it would ba a military contract though. I'm sure they don't use every brand of primer making ammo, certainly not Russian primers.

GARD72977
12-31-2012, 09:26 PM
I helped out. Bought a bunch two weeks ago

375supermag
12-31-2012, 11:36 PM
Primer shortage.?.?????????

Well,not for those folk who are smart enough to always keep a good stock on hand!

Same as food, if you eat hand to mouth, IT WILL come back and bite you sooner or later.

This is the same thing that happened during the Clinton error and just 4 years ago with the start of the obamanation.

However, there was planty of components to be had during the year before the recent obamanation, so why were we not all stocked up then?

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

I will agree with you...up to a point.

My shooting and reloading looks to increase considerably this upcoming year, from about 5-6000 rounds a year to maybe as much as three times that amount.
While I do have a small emergency stock of primers and powders on hand that would get me through a year or more of no new supplies, it would not meet my new needs.

My plan is to begin reloading for as many as 7 new rifle calibers and to stockpile at least 1000 loaded rounds for each caliber that I currently own and to add some additional rifles and handguns.

I am very concerned about the possibility of very restrictive new laws and fully intend to lay in as much supplies as I can reasonably afford. Not just primers, bullets and powders, but also brass. I think a much larger portion of my disposable income is going to be spent on reloading components in the coming months than has ever been the case heretofore.

Twstanley
12-31-2012, 11:44 PM
The military small arms ammo plant (Lake City) has its own primer making facility, they don't buy from other manufacturers (to my knowledge anyhow). This is a panic induced "shortage".

hemiallen
01-01-2013, 01:41 AM
Glad I stocked up this summer, all my online stores seem sold out.

Allen

ffg
01-01-2013, 08:21 AM
Definitely panic buying , and for good reason with what awaits .

kpep
01-01-2013, 12:31 PM
(Crusty Deary Ol'Coot) I think you said it all. I like to hand to mouth thing.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
01-01-2013, 01:54 PM
375supermag,

Point well made.

I am going to be loading for a new 30/06 RUGER American that I have put into the collection as a "loaner" due to the fact that I have begun mentoring a young shooter/hunter.

I have 30cal components on hand to a point as I shoot a 300win.mag., but my "06" brass is mostly pick ups or brass given to me by a friend who doesn't reload.

So, I have put in a recent order for brass and bullets. Surprise, the brass which was to be on B.O. until the end of January is on the way. The Hornady interlock (500) and the Remington corelock (1000) are both BO for awhile.

Ordered a bunch of the Rem. in 150gr as they will to some degree be put down the tube in reduced practice loads for my young friend. Would prefer 100 - 130 gr for the reduced loads, but the 150s will do.

Use the range/pick-up brass for the practice and the 250 new Winchester cases will last for years for developing loads and hunting.

Have lots of RedDot to make that happen and plenty of AA3100, H4831, RL-22 and some others to use for the hunting loads.

Seems like instead of spending the time, effort, and big bucks to feed 7 new rifles, a solid view as to reasons and needs for more then half that many might be in order.

Of course, that's just an Ol'Coot's opinion. [smilie=1:

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

rfp357
01-01-2013, 11:22 PM
So our beloved government buys 1.6 billion rounds (so far), keeps our military fighting illegal wars thus keeping the demand for ammo high, and now our elected ones (local, state, and federal) want to not only pass gun restriction legislation but they want to TAKE ALL of our guns.

Obama is on record saying he would take our guns and do it "under the radar" and that was last year. Dianne Feistein has been after them for almost 20 years. Rahm Emmanuel and Pat Quinn can't wait to get their hands on Illinois firearms. Top it all off with massive panic buying of anything with a trigger and I'd say we shooting sport enthusiasts are not in a good place.

I'd be concerned that the gov't will go after reloading components as well. They will stop at nothing to bring us under submission. I'm fairly well stocked up but I don't feel anywhere near comfortable about any of this stuff.

375supermag
01-02-2013, 08:25 PM
375supermag,

Point well made.

I am going to be loading for a new 30/06 RUGER American that I have put into the collection as a "loaner" due to the fact that I have begun mentoring a young shooter/hunter.

I have 30cal components on hand to a point as I shoot a 300win.mag., but my "06" brass is mostly pick ups or brass given to me by a friend who doesn't reload.

So, I have put in a recent order for brass and bullets. Surprise, the brass which was to be on B.O. until the end of January is on the way. The Hornady interlock (500) and the Remington corelock (1000) are both BO for awhile.

Ordered a bunch of the Rem. in 150gr as they will to some degree be put down the tube in reduced practice loads for my young friend. Would prefer 100 - 130 gr for the reduced loads, but the 150s will do.

Use the range/pick-up brass for the practice and the 250 new Winchester cases will last for years for developing loads and hunting.

Have lots of RedDot to make that happen and plenty of AA3100, H4831, RL-22 and some others to use for the hunting loads.

Seems like instead of spending the time, effort, and big bucks to feed 7 new rifles, a solid view as to reasons and needs for more then half that many might be in order.

Of course, that's just an Ol'Coot's opinion. [smilie=1:

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

I may need to clarify a point or two.

The vast majority of my shooting and reloading over the years has been handgun-oriented. I have reloaded some rifle cartridges for some friends, but most of what I shot was store bought ammunition.

I have been thinking about gearing up for reloading rifle cartridges for some time. However, I couldn't do it this past year because of some very serious health issues. Hopefully, those problems (and 4-5 months of disability checks) are mostly behind me now and I once again have the disposable income to expand the scope of my reloading interests.

My son and I easily shoot several hundred rounds of rifle ammunition each through the aforementioned seven calibers each shooting season. I will be loading for a Mauser bolt-action in 7x57, a Lee-Enfielld in .303British, a Rem760 in .30/06, a Savage bolt-action .25/06, a Savage bolt-action 7mm Magnum, a Win M94 .30/30 and a couple of SKS-pattern 7.62x39mm.

I have a good supply of once-fired brass for everything but the .30/30(a Christmas present for my son) and the two SKSs (we have shot thousands of steel-case shoot and forget rounds through those two rifles). I see no reason not to reload for all 7 cartridges and have high hopes to purchase a couple of different rifles in other chamberings. I have plenty of storage space for components...if I can find them.

The biggest challenge will be finding time to work up loads (I have this job thing that I am expected to show up for...maybe a little more often than I might like). Range time shouldn't be an issue...my son will be thrilled to shoot all the ammunition I can load. And then some...

Bonz
01-03-2013, 11:27 AM
I received a response yesterday from CCI :

we make and ship 2,000,000 + primer a day, there is just a great demand right now.

Make Every Shot Count!
Justin M.
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID 83501
CCI/Speer
(866) 286-7436

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 12:26 PM
To: cciexpert
Subject: CCI Ammo - Ask the Expert Form

I have not been able to find any company with small pistol primers in stock for over a month. They keep saying that CCI and other manufacturers are not shipping.

Please advise why no one currently has small pistol primers in stock and for sale

opos
01-03-2013, 11:37 AM
Recall the "panic" on ammo in 2008....especially things like the 380? Folks were buying up little Bersa's and other small semi's for self protection and there was no ammo available...what had been a $15-$17 a box ammo was bringing $30 or more...the "story" was that 9mm was in high demand for the military and the 380 runs on the same production line as the 9mm so 9mm would run till the demand was filled and then some 380 would be released. Horse Hockey! All the shortages right now are from a panicked population that is grabbing everything in sight from fear bordering on panic. Bet if you talk to Lee or RCBS or other reloading manufacturers that they are running low and that has nothing to do with the military...it's just panic buying. When sense returns the shelves will fill and prices will either stabalize or fall....Tell someone they can' t have something and they will prove they can.

wv109323
01-03-2013, 08:16 PM
IIRC the buzz a few months back was about an order placed by Homeland Security for .40 S&W and .223/5.56. It was a Tremendous order something like 700 hundred million rounds. I expect the military has cut back on their ammo purchases due to the Iraq and Afghanistan wars are "winding down".
The panic is caused by hoarders. The primer .powder and bullet manufacturers know it is bad business to gear up for a spike in the market. They known to invest capital money into equipment that will be idle in a year or two is a poor business decision. Along with hiring and training new employees that they will have to lay off in a year or two is also bad business. Any time that new untrained workers are brought in there will be quality issues associated with their training.
Companies are much better off to produce at maximum levels with existing equipment and existing employees. With that said the demand has created a couple of new players in the market like Tula , S&B and Wolf.

troyboy
01-03-2013, 10:05 PM
There will be a shortage, the prices will increase, the shortage will subside and the prices will remain high. Same thing happens with gasoline. Nothing changes except the amount of product a dollar buys.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
01-04-2013, 12:43 AM
Your close troyboy.

While the prices of components did moderate to some degree after the first obamanation, they never came back to the pre obamanation levels before he was dumped on us again.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot