PDA

View Full Version : Trapdoor carbine?

DeadWoodDan
12-31-2012, 09:51 AM
Haven't confirmed exactly what i have, as my reference books are at work. From looking at the trapdoor sites i can't confirm if it is an original carbine. Everything seems tight and functions fine. Rifling doesn't seem as defined as my full length TD, but i still need to give it a good cleaning, previous owner said he never shoot it and kept it hanging above a door way for decoration.

So if i can stay focused on one project, i plan on loading for both TD's over the winter and having some fun this summer. Believe the only thing i need is a powder funnel and BP, have gathered the majority of other components in last year or two.

Barrel measures 24 1/2" , front sight blade and trigger guard have me curious on if this is original. S/N begins with 317XXX.

KCSO
12-31-2012, 10:33 AM
Cut down rifle, old time sporterize.

curator
12-31-2012, 10:42 AM
Trigger-guard and front sight are not correct for an original carbine. If there is no saddle ring, there is a ramrod hole in the forearm, and the rear sight is stamped with a "R" it is most definitely a cut down rifle. If you didn't pay a king's ransom for it you may have a fun shooter but not a collector's item. Some of my most fun guns are made from parts or "sporters" from the 50s. Shooting any trapdoor opens up a link with the past, even more so if you load real black powder.

John Allen
12-31-2012, 11:32 AM
Make sure you get a drop tube it will make loading so much easier. Also a little compression helps.

DeadWoodDan
12-31-2012, 02:49 PM
got the compression plugs, but still need to make/buy a drop tube. any recommendation on drop tubes and method of loading? As i stated in my first post i have the Wolf book and the collectors guide at work. wish i would have had it before the purchase to do some re-reading, but don't think i did to bad, b.c. i plan on shooting it. Did find some other sported rifles for sale on web a little cheaper with more done to them.

9.3X62AL
12-31-2012, 04:29 PM
Dan, your example is a lot farther along than is my Bubba BDL HB Trapdoor Carbine. Like you, I get steered away by other toys and projects--but this one will get done eventually.

John Allen
12-31-2012, 04:40 PM
I used a piece of copper pipe when I started but for the money chec out buffalo arms they have very affordable drop tubes. On a side note take apart your breach block and make sure the firing pin is ok and not gummed up

Lead pot
12-31-2012, 05:56 PM
You can go here to see what your TD is and where it was. Just fill in the information-SN
http://trapdoors.com/gun_id_check.php

nhrifle
12-31-2012, 08:25 PM
Dan, nice shooter you got there! I wouldn't worry about the modifications done to it unless you just can't stand them. I have never had the opportunity to own a trapdoor, but I have shot them a couple times and they are as much fun as any single shot. I have a couple Sharps and I love 'em. Keep in mind the limitations of the action, that hinged breechblock is not the strongest out there, but as long as you aren't loading full house elephant killers you will be enjoying that rifle for years to come.

I made my drop tube for about $10. A 24" brass tube topped with a powder funnel, couple of eye bolts to support the tube, and some scrap 1X3 lumber I had lying around. Trickle the powder down the tube slowly so you get nice compression of the charge and you will get the cleanest burn of all.

Hiwall55
01-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Mostly you will be surprised how well your T-D will shoot, all my friends have at least one ,some parts guns and all of them shoot well,Bill