PDA

View Full Version : Is there a mold like this for my 1891 Argentine Mauser?

daddyseal
12-31-2012, 08:26 AM
I've read that the optimum accuracy boolit for my rifle needs to be a very long RN to be seated long and enable it to enter the rifling. If the boolit/bullet doesn't the accuracy suffers significantly.
One like the Hornady 303 Cal .312 174 gr 2 ogive InterLock RN
http://www.hornady.com/store/303-Cal-.312-174-gr-RN/

I know Lee makes a short 1 ogive mold, but the boolit does not look as long as the Hornady to reach the rifling.
Does anyone make a mold for that longer RN type boolit?

NuJudge
12-31-2012, 10:09 AM
There are lots of bullets in that size range that are favorites here. First, if you have not already, slug your bore to find bore/lands diameter and groove diameter. Second, read this article:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?13425-Cast-Bullet-Loads-for-Military-Rifles-Article
Next, decide whether you want a bullet that has a long nose that rides on the tops of the lands (spoken of as a bore rider), or one that has a lot of groove diameter grooves (spoken of as a Lovern type, after an early bulllet designer). The bore rider type bullet is not sufficiently supported by the lands in some rifling designs, and the way NRA describes it, the bullet slumps a little on cartridge ignition, resutling in inaccuracy. Everything becomes more difficult when you try for higher velocities, so if you want immediate success, try light loads.

It has been some years since I loaded cast for my 09 Argentines, but my recollection is they really liked bore riders such as the Lee bullet in really light loads. My 09 Argentines have a groove diameter of .312", and that is about the size you should see in a bullet cast in the Lee mold they market for the .303 British:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/562844/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-c312-185-1r-303-british-312-diameter-185-grain-1-ogive-radius-gas-check

The bullet I actually used in my Argentine was this one:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/667443/lyman-2-cavity-bullet-mold-311291-30-caliber-309-diameter-170-grain-round-nose-gas-check

A Lovern design is like this bullet:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?148951-311407

Can I suggest that you do a search here for loads that worked really well in other people's 91 Argentines, then ask here for a few of the bullets:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?49-The-Boolit-Exchange

badgeredd
12-31-2012, 10:51 AM
Something to consider...a cast boolit of a similar design to the Hordady bullet will be heavier. To get the length, ones boolit is usually a bit heavier in cast. Since there is less friction generated with a cast boolit, often a 10% increase in weight over a jacketed bullet will use very nearly the same powder charge. Once you've slugged your bore, you'll know what diameter you need. I routinely have lapped a mold to get better fit on the bore riding section. I use a 311291 in my Argie and my SKSs that has been so modified with great results. With NOE and Mihec supplying several designs that are intensionally made a bit fatter, you have a lot of boolits to choose from. I'd suggest also looking at boolits in the 190-200 grain area.

Edd

skeet1
12-31-2012, 11:08 AM
5715857158I find that the 314299 works well in all .31 cal. rifles I have tried it in and would be very surprised if it didn't work in your 7.65X53 Argentine. If I was going to buy a new mold of this design I would get an NOE as I believe that the quality is much better. My Lyman has a lot of machine marks on the nose that I don't like and I don't think their quality control is what it used to be.

Ken

chboats
12-31-2012, 11:19 AM
The mold you need will depend a lot on not only the bore (grove diameter) but the condition of the throat. A great number of the Argentines have long worn throats. In my 09 carbine the rifling is sharp and slugs at .312 but the throat is worn. I shoot a boolit sized .315 with a nose of .310 to fit the throat. I started at .313 and worked up until the round would just chamber before I got any kind of accuracy. Even the 316299 the nose would not even touch the rifling with the boolit seated out as long a possible. Take a lot of measurements to figure out what you need.

Carl

Larry Gibson
12-31-2012, 12:18 PM
I've yet to find a M91 Argie with a decent bore (there are some pretty bad ones out the from too much corrosive ammo and too little cleaning) that didn't shoot the 314299 or the C312-185-2R very well indeed.

Larry Gibson

HARRYMPOPE
12-31-2012, 02:04 PM
The Lee 155 "Harris" shoots in all i have used it in as well as those Larry mentions.I dont even seat it in the throat (it wont reach anyhow)just to the crimp groove and it does nicely.

runfiverun
12-31-2012, 11:48 PM
ditto the 314299.
[mine has a 304 nose and makes just over 313 on the body]
it has shot a LOT more accurately than i thought possible. even up to near 1950 fps.
i could seat it out of the case 1/4" and it still wouldn't be in the rifling.
accurate molds makes a 200+ grain lyman loverign type mold.
you could probably go clear to 318 with it and still have it chamber.
i just got one it pours to almost 315 at the base and is tapered to 310 on the front drive band.
we'll see how it does soon nuff.
i'll give it a whirl in the 7.7x58 case too, it seems to like my 165 gr nei loverign design sized to 313 a little more than it should too.

leadman
01-01-2013, 05:16 PM
I use the Lyman 314299 in my Arg. Mausers. Had to lap it out a little to make it actually drop a 314" boolit. The fast powders like Unique, 700X, Green Dot all seem to work better for my guns than SR4759 or 2400.

daddyseal
01-02-2013, 07:58 AM
The mold you need will depend a lot on not only the bore (grove diameter) but the condition of the throat. A great number of the Argentines have long worn throats. In my 09 carbine the rifling is sharp and slugs at .312 but the throat is worn. I shoot a boolit sized .315 with a nose of .310 to fit the throat. I started at .313 and worked up until the round would just chamber before I got any kind of accuracy. Even the 316299 the nose would not even touch the rifling with the boolit seated out as long a possible. Take a lot of measurements to figure out what you need.

Carl
Thanks for your helpful answer.
The bore slugs .312 at muzzle....I'll do the throat today, but it looks sharp and shows very little wear.