PDA

View Full Version : Winter Grizzly

starmac
12-30-2012, 06:28 PM
In the paper today is an article where a trapper has shot a Grizzly on his line.
This is pretty unusual as they are suppose to be sleeping.
I have no experience with a winter grizzly, but have read if they are out and about it is because they are hungry and usually grumpy.

Most (nearly all) trappers This time of year carry a 22 handgun of some sort and usually a rifle in something like 22 magnum.
I would hate to run across a hungry grouchy grizzly carrying a 22 or other fur friendly gun. lol

Love Life
12-30-2012, 06:29 PM
I would hate to come across a grouchy grizzly period. I would have run away screaming.

Pb2au
12-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Me too. I make it a habit to avoid large carnivores with equally large teeth, claws and bad attitudes.
So that is pretty strange. You would think mr Griz should be snoozing right now. Was the summer up there bad on the bears?

9.3X62AL
12-30-2012, 06:38 PM
No face-to-face with Mr. Griz to date, but if my encounters with black bears are any measure--I'm sure I could make a bolt rifle sound belt-fed without much prompting. One on such occasion, the Redhawk felt remarkably light and underwhelming.

RugerFan
12-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Temps have been in the 40s here. I can see how bears might be getting up and walking around.

starmac
12-30-2012, 06:48 PM
Temps have been in the 40s here. I can see how bears might be getting up and walking around.

This was out of central No 40's up there or even close until today, but today it is amazingly warm. I have heard of another one from a trapper I know this year close to livengood that was out and about last month and it was 40 below.

They are suppose to be sleeping, but it is not too uncommon for one to not play by the rules.

waksupi
12-30-2012, 07:26 PM
Griz don't sleep nearly as sound as a black bear will. It's pretty common to see tracks any month of the year.

41 mag fan
12-30-2012, 09:09 PM
I came across a grumpy grizzly....be rest assured there'd be a big brown stain in the snow, followed by a line of yellow snow to where I was running and hiding at.

runfiverun
12-30-2012, 09:49 PM
good god..... the last thing you do is turn and run immediatly.
that strategy don't work with black bears,cats,wolves or house dogs either. :lol:
it might work with muggers though.

i believe grizzly's and polar bears are totally related [maybe it's the big brown bears and polar bears] whichever.
it wouldn't be out of character for them to be out roaming if food is available.

Bob in Revelstoke
12-30-2012, 10:34 PM
It is not too uncommon for grizzly's to wake up and wander around but it is usually later in the winter. Maybe he drank too much and had to go pee.

obssd1958
12-30-2012, 10:45 PM
It is not too uncommon for grizzly's to wake up and wander around but it is usually later in the winter. Maybe he drank too much and had to go pee.

Boy, don't I know that one!!

Love Life
12-30-2012, 11:16 PM
So you're saying that I should wet myself first before running away?

Wolfer
12-30-2012, 11:24 PM
I've heard you should turn around, pull your pants down then look between your knees and start backing toward him.
Ps. If he don't run you better!!!

starmac
12-30-2012, 11:33 PM
Well running from a dog will get you bit. I would have zero chance running from a bear, so no use to expend the energy. lol I reckon I would just hope the manly high pitched girly sounding screams skeered it away. lol

brassrat
12-31-2012, 01:34 AM
Those Griz scare me even on TV !

Pb2au
01-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Griz don't sleep nearly as sound as a black bear will. It's pretty common to see tracks any month of the year.

Hmmm, that is pretty darn interesting. I did not know that. As you might suspect, we do not have a lot of grizzlies running around Ohio.
We are in fact getting black bears moving back here, which does warm my heart up. I nearly wrecked my pick up first time I saw one along the forest road I was driving out of. I swear, i looked at it and said to myself, "well, that is the biggest dog I have ever seen....". Then I realized what I was seeing. By the time I stopped and was grabbing my trusty Nikon, Mr Bear turned 180 degrees and bolted back into the red oaks. That was an eye opener. That beast moved FAST.
So to support my earlier post, no matter which flavor, I plan on giving Mr Bear plenty of room.

bosterr
01-02-2013, 03:35 PM
Me too. I make it a habit to avoid large carnivores with equally large teeth, claws and bad attitudes.
So that is pretty strange. You would think mr Griz should be snoozing right now. Was the summer up there bad on the bears?

You must know my ex wife!

Pb2au
01-02-2013, 05:17 PM
You must know my ex wife!

WaHA! He he he, I have never had the pleasure, or displeasure......:holysheep

dakotashooter2
01-02-2013, 05:32 PM

Probably and OLD griz...........................