PDA

View Full Version : bullet lube or BOOLIT LOOBE!

mike in co
07-02-2007, 09:46 PM
JUST CAUSE.....

why not call home or local brew loobe...and store bought as lube

stir, stir , boil and trouble......

mike

Ricochet
07-02-2007, 09:57 PM
How 'bout loob? Goes on boolits. What you need an e that don't say nothin' fer?

Blammer
07-02-2007, 10:19 PM
because with out the silent e it would be a short o, like in the word stop.

jhalcott
07-02-2007, 10:28 PM
NO, it's like BOB and BOOB ,not tub and tube!

Bent Ramrod
07-02-2007, 10:33 PM
I'd like something more elegant. Maybe Luebe. Or Lu (with an umlaut) b. :mrgreen:

jonk
07-03-2007, 09:11 AM
I never liked the term 'boolit' anyhow, but I do appreciate the difference between that and bullet. I do like the idea of calling it Lüb to a certain extent, but given that the German word for it is Schmieröl or Schmierstoff or Gleitmittel or something similar, the German teacher part of me rebels at germanifying an English word.

wiljen
07-03-2007, 09:30 AM
I can see distinguishing between cast bullets and jacketed bullets as they are quite different in nature. I can't say that I see the same level of difference in lubes. After all, most commercial lubes started out as somebody's home brew, and a lot of home brew lubes are designed to duplicate the store bought stuff. 50/50 comes immediately to mind. It has been sold as Javelina and other names commercially for years, and I would bet more of it has been made at home than most other lubes combined. At best, it is an artificial distinction.

felix
07-03-2007, 09:47 AM
True, Wiljen. Part of the hobby is playing around with different kinds of "jackets". The experience is no different than playing around with different powder speeds, boolit styles, etc. Something to do in our older age. Sorta' like re-inventing the wheel for entertainment. Besides, aren't all guns by our definition obsolete? ... felix

felix
07-03-2007, 09:59 AM
Jonk, I agree 100 percent. Linguistics has never been my forte, and most especially when the philosophy mandate of the new order world comes down to making all currency the same. Unfortunately, money now talks, even at the expense of language and other local customs. It is too bad that German guy did not win over that English guy when they were asked to debate over the merits of money publication right after the last big one. ... felix