PDA

View Full Version : Spotting Scope: What Power?

milrifle
12-30-2012, 04:56 PM
I got a chrony for Christmas, but now I would like to keep up with which shot went with which velocity reading. Not caring to walk downrange every shot, I was wondering just how much spotting scope I would need to see .30 caliber bullet holes at 100 yards? Or maybe binoculars? I just don't have a feel for what power I need. Sugestions?

btroj
12-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Much depends on lighting. If you have light showing thru a hole in a target then it makes it easier to see.
Power alone doesn't tell the story. The quality of the glass is important too. Brightness and clarity are important.
Spend all you can and take care of it.
I use a 27X eye piece on my Koza and never have troubles with holes at 100. With light just right I can see them at 200 or 300 too.

uscra112
12-30-2012, 05:33 PM
20x does it for me. And my eyes ain't what they once was.

I was given one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Meade-20-60X60MM-Waterproof-Zoom-Spotting-Scope-tripod-case-hunting-birding-/230902100890?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c2d6739a

The optics are tolerable, but the tripod is junk. If you have some better tripod to use, it's a good deal for a cheap scope.

But my go-to scope for the bench is still an old Bausch & Lomb 4000 reflector scope intended for astronomy. Has a very sturdy alt-azimuth mount, so it's far easier to aim than the typical scope-on-a-tripod arrangement. This one is 4" aperture, which is way more than you need. You change eyepieces to change power. Only thing is, you have to get used to the image being upside down and backward. (Not as hard as you might think.) They are often very cheap on evilBay, because the optics weren't good for astronomy. To get mine to focus sharply I simply blocked off 2/3 of the aperture with a piece of cardboard, and viola!

Phil

fcvan
12-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Your best bet would be to try one or two in the store. My brother received one for Christmas and I don't know what power it is. We have used binoculars that were only 8x which is only good for about 50 yards. I briefly had a cheap telescope that was pretty useless for the moon but was great for the range. The telescope was picked up at a garage sale but didn't have a tripod. I made something that worked ok, but not great. A neighbor kid developed an interest in astronomy so I gave it away to a very happy young lad.

I'm wanting to try something a bit different for spotting at the range. Sony HandiCam recorders have 60x zoom. I'd like to set up the camera linked to the laptop so I can view the target on a larger screen and to capture images of the target. Load data and other information can be typed on the image and saved for posterity. Most folks already have a camcorder and many have a very high zoom rate. Some have a very high optical zoom and an even higher digital zoom rate.

My brother was thinking of using a remote camera placed near the target either wired or wirelessly and using the laptop. Home security cameras are dirt cheap and some are wireless. If the signal isn't that strong we are both Ham Radio operators and can incorporate that hobby as well. I think the camcorder with zoom would be a lot less hassle and you have the benefit of being able to record the range day. Last comment, which do you think will be more likely to succeed: "honey, I need a spotting scope" or "honey, we need a video camera to video the kids/grand kids" hahaha. We've already got two camcorders, I just need to remember to bring one next time I go to the range. :)

centershot
12-30-2012, 06:19 PM
Instead of magnification, think "Resolving Power". The resolving power of a scope is it's ability to differentiate between, or distinguish small details of, an object; Or, the ability of an optical instrument to produce separate images of closely placed objects. It is thereby a major determinant of image resolution. Bottom line; Buy the best you can possibly afford! Having said that, the Kowa line of spotters are exceptional pieces of equipment, a 20 - 25 power eyepiece are all you'll need for what you want to do.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/kowa-spottingscopes.html

uscra112
12-30-2012, 06:48 PM
$1000 and up for a spotting scope ? ? ? ? Dream on.

Like the idea of the video camera. Does double dooty, makes archiving targets easier.

Crashbox
12-30-2012, 07:03 PM
Funny how this subject came up, I've been pondering the purchase of a spotting scope as well.

I like the idea of the video camera, though- that would be slick if the resolving power is adequate.

Centershot: outstanding mention of resolving power! That was one reason I favored my Konica 35mm film cameras. Resolving power is the major factor IMO.

I suppose I could use my surveying total station as a spotting scope, it has excellent resolution and I can measure the distance within 0.01 foot or approximately 1/8". However, at $7K it is not something I normally use casually.

skeettx
12-30-2012, 07:08 PM
I use a variable power Redfield with 45X at the top end
Also more important is a ROCK SOLID tripod
Very helpful
Mike

MtGun44
12-30-2012, 07:10 PM
Resolving power is the correct concept. A cheap scope with 100X will not show you what a good
scope at 40X will. Probably the best deal out there is the 20-60x -80 Konusspot by Konus. Very
good quality at a reasonable price. I have some better names and higher grade and dramatically
more expensive scopes that are pretty much the same in resolving power.

I have given a number of these as gifts, and use one most of the time on the range myself. The
big bucks scopes stay home a lot of the time.

Ultimately, you are limited by the air. Past 100 yds the mirage on a sunny day will often prevent
you from seeing .22 holes. You may see them in the morning, with the right contrast and light direction,
but in the black on a cloudy day at 200 - not too easy, occasionally you can see some, but it is just
not practical - the air is too unstable most of the time, no matter how good your scope is.

Bill

mac1911
12-30-2012, 07:19 PM
Ixsettled for a konus 20x60x80 as stated it does well on 20x out to 200 yards with good light. Eye relief is decent on 20x(don't have to lift my glasses). It gets dark and focus degrades fast at higher mag. Eye relief also dwindels. One thing I did get was a scope stand and head the polecats from creedmore sports. This even makes my dirt cheap spotter nicer to use.
I like the camcorder idea but I don't have a laptop or a way to view it other than the tiny screen.
I will however give it a try. Mine is a older Sony with x60 zoom. Is there a way to hook it up to just a larger monitor or screen?

williamwaco
12-30-2012, 09:17 PM
I can see .22 bullet holes at 100 yards with a variable set to 8 to 10x.
I expect you can too.

I have two spotting scopes, a 20-45 and a 20-60.

I rarely crank either of them past 30.

That said,

Scopes are a personal preference item.
Try to find a place like Cabelas where you can compare several different scopes side by side.

fouronesix
12-30-2012, 10:16 PM
Instead of magnification, think "Resolving Power". The resolving power of a scope is it's ability to differentiate between, or distinguish small details of, an object; Or, the ability of an optical instrument to produce separate images of closely placed objects. It is thereby a major determinant of image resolution. Bottom line; Buy the best you can possibly afford! Having said that, the Kowa line of spotters are exceptional pieces of equipment, a 20 - 25 power eyepiece are all you'll need for what you want to do.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/kowa-spottingscopes.html

Good post!

20X is usually all you need at 100 yds IF the resolution is good. Some more power may be warranted if you get to shoot out to 300+ yards so plan accordingly. There is another brand out there that spells similar to Kowa with a name that starts with K that sells for a lot less, that has a very impressive looking tube and big numbers associated with it and owners who seem to be proud of-- but going cheap on a scope is not good economy!

And get a good, solid tripod!

milrifle
12-30-2012, 11:22 PM
Thanks guys. I really appreciate your advice.

HangFireW8
12-30-2012, 11:32 PM
$1000 and up for a spotting scope ? ? ? ? Dream on.

Like the idea of the video camera. Does double dooty, makes archiving targets easier.

My little Kowa 50mm came in a lot less than $1K, prices are about the same now. I love the 20x Long Eye Relief eyepiece. It's funny to watch other shooters take their glasses off, jam their eyeballs against it and say "I can't see anything". I say, "put your glasses back on and hold your eye further away".

HF

Kraschenbirn
12-30-2012, 11:34 PM
Another factor to consider is light-gathering power; i.e. the larger the objective lense, the brighter the image. I've currently got two spotting scopes: an older Bushnell 16X-40X with a 50mm objective and a more recent BSA 20x-60x with a 60mm objective. In good light, either will let me 'spot' 7mm holes @ 200M but, while the Bushnell has better quality optics, the BSA with its larger objective will let me 'spot' .30 cal. holes out to 300M. For 100M sight-in and chrono work, I normally dial in for 20x-25x and have no problem spotting hits. This morning, I was shooting my .38-55 Highwall and, with sun at my back, had no problem spotting 3/8" holes in the black 10" paper plate I was using for an aiming point at 300M.

Bill

BTW: +1 on getting a good, solid tripod.

Alstep
12-31-2012, 01:47 AM
Resolution and light gathering are the important issues. The new scopes are so much more improved than just 5 years ago. Can't go wrong with a Nikon, Pentax, Leupold, and Kowa. Go with a 50 to 60 mm objective, this gives you good light gathering, while not too big and cumbersome. Stay between 20 & 25 X straight power, variables have extra lenses and reduce light gathering somewhat. Also, be sure to get a long eye relief eyepiece, so you can see with your glasses on. Spend as much as you can afford, the old saying "you get what you paid for" really applies here. Good luck.

Gtek
12-31-2012, 01:58 AM
Harbor Freight 60x telescope, came with tripod. Chinese **** I know but it was about forty bucks with coupon. It is not a show piece and focus control is a little loose. Ten dollar camera tripod from pawn shop and it has worked for several years standing next to me at bench. I think I spent the extra couple hundred bucks on something else. Also put piece of cardboard under white target paper, makes dark holes. Gtek

Bigslug
12-31-2012, 04:24 AM
I discovered Konus a couple years ago, and have found their 20-60x80mm to be one heck of a scope for about $250. If the light is good, it will give you decent resolution of .308 holes at 200Y. As a scope for spotting target markers at Highpower matches, I've actually come to prefer it to the Kowas. While the Kowa is unquestionably the superior optic, your stuck with 27X if you want decent eye relief. The Konus gives you about an inch at all magnifications - enough to use with your glasses on. Image quality? I'd say it's about 80% of the scope for 25% of the price.

ukrifleman
12-31-2012, 09:25 AM
I use a Practica 25-75x90 spotting scope; the optics are great and it didn't break the bank. I can see .22 holes at 100m sharp as a pin.
Resolution is great all the way to maximum magnification, a good value for money scope.
ukrifleman.

NuJudge
12-31-2012, 09:39 AM
Another consideration for you: if you wear glasses while shooting, the long eye relief on Kowa scopes is wonderful.

For 25 years, a Bushnell 20X was good enough for me to see .30 caliber holes at 200. About 10 years ago I switched to shooting .223 more often, and 20X could not do it. The Kowa 27X I have now can do it about half the time. I've looked through lots of other high end scopes, and I don't think they do significantly better.

RCE1
12-31-2012, 01:20 PM
I also like the 27X LER eyepiece that I use with my Kowa 82mm. Higher powers than that seem to lack clarity and emphasize mirage distortion.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
12-31-2012, 02:09 PM
I went a bit different direction , i went with binoculars 10 power and with decent light i can see holes in the target at 100 but they need a little contrast , like a shoot and see target , or a dark cardboard behind a white target with a orange target dot

or home made shoot and see targets made with butcher paper and flat black spray paint stapled to card board

but i admit my primary motivation was to be able to spot for silhouette shooters out to 100 meters , and i was having a very hard time seeing the hits in the sand with one eye through the spotting scope

popper
12-31-2012, 05:03 PM
It gets dark and focus degrades fast at higher mag This is the big problem for 60X scopes in the lower price range. A sunny day doesn't help. $100 simmons/bushnell I can adjust for 22LR @100, barely.