PDA

View Full Version : Fake BP pellets in cartridges?

rexherring
12-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Just wondering if it's something anyone has tried, if it's do-able, practical, or even possible. It would sure make loading easy and fast.

Dan Cash
12-30-2012, 04:23 PM
Not sure what you mean by "fake BP pellets." BP measures and drops so easily, how could it get any better?

Westwindmike
12-30-2012, 04:57 PM
I think he mean Pyrodex or Triple 7 type pellets.
I found load data from Pyrodex for cartridges.

Nobade
12-30-2012, 05:10 PM
They (Hodgdon) say it works, but that sure is an expensive way to make ammo.

rexherring
12-30-2012, 08:59 PM
I think he mean Pyrodex or Triple 7 type pellets.
I found load data from Pyrodex for cartridges.

Yup, that's what I meant. Not saying that BP isn't hard to use and I have a bunch but I just thought it would be so easy to drop in a pellet and seat a boolit even at the range with a hand loader set up.

Grapeshot
12-30-2012, 10:17 PM
Just wondering if it's something anyone has tried, if it's do-able, practical, or even possible. It would sure make loading easy and fast.

I won a can of 30 grain Pyrodex Pellets designed for C&B revolvers. They worked well in my .44 Special cases and my .44 Colt cases with 215 grain LRN's for Cowboy Action Matches.

Big Rack
12-31-2012, 12:58 PM
They work fine, with one caution, I loaded some .44 mag. cases just to try in a CAS style match.
A good cowboy name of Monty put on some indoor matches in Miamisburg Oh. years ago ssrifle, pistol paper targets it was a blast. After the match though as we were sweeping up a pile of targets and sweepings went up in flames, kind of a jump back moment. We figured the revolver cartridges spat out some unburned powder and a couple of embers. Went up quickly and burnt out quickly and the ventilation system worked fine.
Outdoors on dry grass it may of been it might have been a different story.
On the off chance Monty or Ringo may read this "Howdy!".

Grapeshot
12-31-2012, 02:05 PM
They work fine, with one caution, I loaded some .44 mag. cases just to try in a CAS style match.
A good cowboy name of Monty put on some indoor matches in Miamisburg Oh. years ago ssrifle, pistol paper targets it was a blast. After the match though as we were sweeping up a pile of targets and sweepings went up in flames, kind of a jump back moment. We figured the revolver cartridges spat out some unburned powder and a couple of embers. Went up quickly and burnt out quickly and the ventilation system worked fine.
Outdoors on dry grass it may of been it might have been a different story.
On the off chance Monty or Ringo may read this "Howdy!".

If your outdoor range has very dry grass between you and the targets, it might happen. I haven't seen it in all my years of shooting Black Powder or substitutes. However, it was a common occurance in an indoor range I used to work at. The build-up of smokeless on the range floor and in the cracks in front of the firing points, were prime for BP sparks to ignite. We would have fire extinguishers available as well as water buckets for just such an event.

MikeS
01-21-2013, 03:11 PM
I had some of the 30gr Pyrodex 'pistol' pellets from before I learned how easy it is to use the real stuff, so I loaded them into 45 Colt cases, and they shot just fine. Just remember that you still need to follow the rule of no free space between the pellet and the boolit. When I loaded them I used some 3/16" felt wads that were soaked in BP lube (beeswax based, the lube was hard at room temp) to take up the space between the boolit and the pellet. I had also loaded up some 45 Colt cases with triple 7, and they had more kick than any other 45 Colt loads I've loaded (even in my Ruger Blackhawk I tend to load light), but were fairly accurate. Since getting rid of the pellets, and triple 7 I use real BP for most of my 45 Colt loads, just adds a bit more fun to the shooting, rather than loading with smokeless.

Chill Wills
01-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Just remember that you still need to follow the rule of no free space between the pellet and the boolit.

Where are these rules written? I need to get a copy!

(just pulling your leg a bit Mike;-):kidding:)

MikeS
01-22-2013, 02:49 AM
I wonder, if somebody took a single 50gr equivalent pellet, tossed it into a 45-70 (or even a 45-110) case, then just seated a boolit without anything filling up the free space in the cartridge, would that make the rifle go BANG and self destruct? Personally I would rather have my leg pulled here, rather than having to pull my rifle out of my leg! :)