PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with Accurate mold 38-250A or 38-285C?

Kansas Ed
12-30-2012, 01:47 PM
Needing to order a couple of new molds, and am looking at the Accurate 38-250A for the .375 Winchester, and the 38-285C for the 38-72.

The 38-250A has a pretty nonstandard nose design, and in theory I like it, but new ideas always make me a skeptic :-D, as you can see from some of the calibers I shoot...LOL.

I was wondering especially about any experiences with the 38-250A, whether they shot well, fed well from the Winchester Big Bore, etc.

Thanks for any feedback.

Ed

TomAM
12-30-2012, 03:44 PM
The only person with experience with that one is me. No one else has ordered it.
For my Winchester, the full diameter body has to extend that far out to just kiss the rifling leade. In my Marlin, there's even more freebore, but I just can't extend further and still feed slick. The nose can't have an ogive way out there, it must be a truncated cone in order to clear the top of the chamber when feeding. When sized to .379, it fits and shoots great in my Winchester, but my Nephew's Winchester has a bit shorter throat.
The Ranch dog design (in my catalog as #38-235R and #38-235S) also deals with the huge amount of freebore found in these rifles, but to a lesser degree.
The best thing to do is measure how far the body of a bullet of the diameter you intend to use can extend outside the case before touching the lands. I've owned 4 of these rifles, and although they all have obscenely deep throats, and oversized bores, they vary a bit.

Kansas Ed
12-30-2012, 07:21 PM
Thanks Tom. I've got one, my buddy has one, and my brother has one....so I'll be reverse seating a few bullets over the next week and seeing what our optimal throat length will be before purchasing. I'll be emailing you later on the order.

Thanks,
Ed