PDA

View Full Version : CVA Buckhorn a decent blue collar starter?

Adam10mm
12-30-2012, 03:16 AM
Picked up a couple things from Walmart tonight and wandered by the gun section. Saw a few inlines off to the side and took the opportunity to teach my son a quick lesson about them. They had a CVA Buckhorn .50 for $147. Fits my budget as it would mostly be a backup tool for deer season if I don't get a deer in the regular firearm season I could still have the opportunity later for the muzzleloader season.

Are these pretty decent guns? I know you get what you pay for, but I'm new to the BP/ML stuff. Cleaning doesn't bother me really.

nhrifle
12-30-2012, 04:22 AM
CVA makes good BP guns, and will shoot as well as most. Their lower end models are not quite as refined as, say, and Encore 209X50, but you also aren't spending $800. Also, with the lower cost rifle you won't feel bad about it getting scratched.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
12-30-2012, 09:41 AM
I have had a few cva's show up on 4H muzzle loading days , they go bang , and were all minute of deer at 50-75 yards easy enough

i was actually impressed by the cva wolf break open muzzle loader , it was right on for it's sights out of the box and shot patch round ball very well.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
12-31-2012, 01:08 PM
I looked up the buckhorn , I had one of them brought to 4h last spring , it worked , the sights left a little to be desired , just plastic , but it shot

if i was hunting at ranges over 50 yards i would probably put a low power scope on it depending on state regs

you need a allen wrench to take it down , i clean them muzzle in the bucket of warm soapy water

care full with the breach plug you have to line it up and work it in before you put a wrench on it , it wouldn't be very hard to mess up the threads

it is very much like putting in a spark plug you can't quite reach , because the tube that houses the action makes it a but harder to get a hold of

also make very sure to have some good anti seize on that plug before you take your first shot , and after every cleaning

but definitely a good way to extend the deer season , just remember if you shoot it clean it

garbear
12-31-2012, 04:57 PM
I had one. My old man gave it to me when I drew a special doe hunt. I could not get it to group. I tried all summer long nothing worked. I tried different powders and load charges different projectiles. I sold it a month before my hunt and snagged my current inline. T/C Omega X7. Might have been just that one rifle. I am tempted to get a different model by CVA and give to me daughter.

Garbear