PDA

View Full Version : A day in the swamp. or why you take your glove off when shooting a double trigger gun

DIRT Farmer
12-30-2012, 01:56 AM
The youngest son and his brother in law and I went duck hunting this AM, we had snow and every branch was covered. It was a true winter wonder land. The swamp had a layer of slush on it and even with repeted attempts to walk it down the ducks wern't very cooperative.

Any way a pair came over, and we came up to shoot, I swung, pulled the front trigger and both barrels went. Apperently there is not enough room for my fat finger and a glove in the trigger guard. two loads of 1 3/4 oz of steel will kill a duck though, and yes I did keep my footing when the old ten roared.

LUBEDUDE
12-30-2012, 02:39 AM
you mean you didn't hit em both? [smilie=1:

missionary5155
12-30-2012, 05:37 AM
Good morning
I shoot double Fox and Stevens 311's alot at crows and can testify there is not much free room in there between the triggers. Generaly I use a thin glove on the trigger hand and leave the rear trigger uncovered umtil needed. That second barrel has all the energy needed to complete the "out of balance circus move" into the soft but unpleasant landing spot.
Mike in ILL

6pt-sika
12-30-2012, 01:08 PM
I wear the cheap cotton jersey gloves and always cut the trigger finger off of the right hand glove . Until it's time to shoot my hands stay in my pockets with hand warmers .

waksupi
12-30-2012, 01:29 PM
I've often pondered that problem, when I read the accounts of African hunting, where it says the hunter gave the charging buffalo a quick left and right barrel. I always wonder how many of those were a "Whoops!"

DIRT Farmer
12-31-2012, 12:52 AM
Waksupi, I have been guilty of strumming the triggers before on following clays, just not with a 10. I can see when the elephant is charging getting to much trigger and catching both triggers. It is always a better story to claim it was what one intended.

JIMinPHX
01-01-2013, 02:20 PM
When I was younger & more foolish, I once did a hip shot where I pulled both triggers on a 12 ga. that was loaded with 3" magnum buck. I'm not likely to do that again on purpose. It felt like I was going to loose both fingers.

cdet69
01-02-2013, 08:29 PM
The hard way of proof testing your shotgun. Bet the recoil was enlightening!