PDA

View Full Version : The Hornet's Daddy

dagger dog
12-30-2012, 12:26 AM
Did a quick search and didn't turn up anything on the 22 WCF, the black powder parent of the Hornet.

I do have a 225415 GC Lyman, and a few of loose boolits ready install the checks and lube. The rifle is a bolt action single shot.

Anyone here ever shoot the 22 WCF,how did it work out, think FFFg would be better than FFg, would the mild primer thing carry over from the Hornet to the 22WCF, and how about the lube ?????

StrawHat
12-30-2012, 08:51 AM
Years ago, 30 or 40, I tried to get the 22 WCF to shot with black powder. Back then, I did almost everything wrong. BP lubes were unheard of and I wasn't smart enough to think about the lubes I used in my muzzleloaders. For me, back then, it was a failure. Those tiny boolits and black powder did not mix. I still have the rifle and have been thinking about it, a lot, recently. 3Fg would be where I would start and (maybe try 4Fg). Pistol primers would be preferred as would a compatible lube. I doubt you would need (or want) the gas checks but try them.

You might have to run a patch down the bore after each shot. It depends on the lube and how much the boolit can hold. Good luck and keep us posted on your results. When I get my Ballard up and running, I'll post about it.