PDA

View Full Version : Any Stihl owners here?

selmerfan
12-29-2012, 10:49 PM
I received a $300 gift card to Runnings, our local Stihl dealer, from one of my parishioners for Christmas with (chainsaw?) handwritten on the card. He's offered me the use of his saws over the last couple of years for cutting firewood, and I've graciously accepted the offer. So now I have the opportunity to pick up a nice chainsaw for "my" Christmas gift. I'm looking at the MS 290 or MS 271. MS 290 is $389, MS 271 is $489. I'll be getting a 16" or 18" bar, haven't decided yet, but which powerhead and bar length would YOU get for a firewood saw? I don't use a ton of wood, maybe go through a couple cords a year with backyard fires and the indoor fireplace. Not a primary heat source. Max wood diameter of 24" at the very most, primarily MN hardwoods.
Thanks!
Selmerfan

fishhawk
12-29-2012, 10:50 PM
I would get another MS310 got one now and it's a good cutting saw

Jailer
12-29-2012, 11:19 PM
I would get another MS310 got one now and it's a good cutting saw

Same here, MS310 and with an 18 inch bar its a perfect not too big, not too small saw.

waksupi
12-29-2012, 11:20 PM
The longer the bar, the easier it is on your back. They can change out bar lengths at the shop, and tell you how much the saw can pull.

franklin!
12-29-2012, 11:23 PM
I have a couple of older Stihl saws and cut firewood for my primary heat source for 20 some years before I switched to a pellet stove. In my experience, I would consider a longer bar, maybe a 20" if they have such an animal for the powerhead you choose. 16" are convenient, but IMHO they are hard on your back - too much stooping over when you buck up the logs. Get a good pair of chaps, too, if you don't have any. As you get tired, you tend to get kind of sloppy with saw control. There are some big blood vessels in your legs!

LAH
12-29-2012, 11:32 PM
The 290 with a 16" bar will do all you need. I used an old 028 Super Woods Boss for 20+ years cutting firewood for myself & several others. In fact I began my present firewood business with this saw. The 290 will cut better & have more power.

Here's a pile I cut with the 028 & you can do the same with the 290.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Creekerpics/Firewood/Picture147-1.jpg

alrighty
12-29-2012, 11:52 PM
I have a few Stihl's including a 029 Farm Boss.I know nothing about the newer 271 , supposed to be more efficient.The 290/029 is a time proven machine , they have been making them for years.I will agree with the others and get the biggest you can.I also own a 660 magnum with a 25" bar.I have an 18" on my 029 and it serves it's purpose well.If I am cutting wood over 20" I will grab the 660 and use the 029 to trim.I am pretty sure Stihl discontinued the 310 and now offer the 311.The 311 like the 271 is supposed to be improved with lower emissions and better fuel economy.

LAH
12-30-2012, 12:21 AM
The 290/029 is a time proven machine , they have been making them for years.

I agree. I run an 036 on the job while the other guy uses a 029. Both saws use 20" bars. The 20 is a little easier on your back but it takes longer to sharpen. For your use a 16" bar should be fine. A couple cords a year isn't much wood & if you do run into something of size you can cut 30" stuff if need be. These were cut with my 028 & a 16" bar.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Creekerpics/Firewood/Picture022-1.jpg

12-30-2012, 12:28 AM
Had my 028 out today. Must have had this one for 20 years. Works like a charm. Don't know anything about the new ones.

plmitch
12-30-2012, 12:31 AM
I have a pair of 290's for my framing and demo crews. Will run all day and cut through just about anything so a couple of cords should be no problem for for you.

MT Gianni
12-30-2012, 12:57 AM
The longer the bar, the easier it is on your back. They can change out bar lengths at the shop, and tell you how much the saw can pull.

This gets my vote also. A 16" makes a good trimming saw, a 24" bar will handle most of my use.

woodpile
12-30-2012, 01:00 AM
I have four stihls that I use for chainsaw carving. By far my favorite is a 170. It is the lightest and when swinging it for several hours doing detail work the lighter the better. My father has a 290 that he uses for firewood and has never had any complaints about it. I have a 290 that I had the dealer put a 20" bar on for doing the rough out work.

jblee10
12-30-2012, 01:03 AM
I had an 029 Farm Boss for over 14 years, until it was stolen from my garage this year. I estimate that I cut 70+ cords of firewood with it at 16 inch lengths. The 029 was the replaced in the line by the 290 I believe. I never had any trouble with the 029 in that time. I almost bought a 290 as a replacement. But this time I stepped up to a MS391. It is a more powerful, but also more expensive. I don't think you can go wrong with the 290.

1bluehorse
12-30-2012, 01:09 AM
029 farm boss with 20" bar is what I use mostly. Either of the ones you mention will work quite well for your purpose. I'd opt for a 20" if the saw will handle it...one thing about the older saws like mine, (not sure about the newer stuff) but this new fuel we're forced to use nowadays (ethonal) will eat up the fuel lines if you leave fuel in the saw for long periods. There are additives you can use that will eliminate this problem and are also better for the saw..

quilbilly
12-30-2012, 01:14 AM
Even my old MS 170 did the job for ten years on trees up to 18". Supposedly the "cheap" 170's are only designed to last about 50 hours but mine lasted much longer. I have a Farm Boss now since my trees are a lot larger but I keep the 170 in the truck for emergencies when there are windstorms and i need to cut my way in/out.

Lloyd Smale
12-30-2012, 06:24 AM
ive got a o29 and a 170. I probably use the 170 more but then i dont burn wood. Its the saw that stays in the jeep all the time. The o29 is defineately easier on you when you tackle bigger jobs though. My dad has a huge one and i dont know the number off hand but when cutting firewood at camp its the saw i grab. that thing cuts through trees like butter and is a hell of alot easier to use when cutting all day.

adkpete
12-30-2012, 07:06 AM
I've got an MS290 with an 18" bar and it does everything I need done
Pete

Chicken Thief
12-30-2012, 10:47 AM
For a split second i thought of 180proof then i saw a h instead on a l.

blackthorn
12-30-2012, 12:36 PM
Stihl makes good saws! I had a comercial grade falling saw years ago with a 30" blade, great saw--stolen! I use a 20" blade now. I have an Echo pruning saw that can be used with one hand and it has a 16" blade. The pine beetle killed off all my beutiful big pine trees (all 31) and some of them were 30" across. I had no problem cutting them up using the 20" bar on the saw I bought cause the pruning saw was a pain to cut those big trees! It is better to have a bar a little too long than one that is a little too short!

HangFireW8
12-30-2012, 12:40 PM
The 290 is a bit of a joke on the arborist site because of its power to weight ratio. It is most commonly sold with a 20" bar which it has a hard time running buried in hard wood. It is not considered a "pro" saw because it lacks the easy to remove jug that makes changing rings or pistons trivial.

Nonetheless it is dead reliable and 20" is nice if you don't want to bend over. The heavy weight makes it a bit safer for amateurs to use.

Whatever you get, get two spare chains, keep them sharp and store with the gas tank empty, run dry. Ethanol phase separates (unlike methanol aka dry gas) and absorbs water. I never store a motor for more than a few days with E-10 gas in it. All current 2-cycles are NOT rated for use with E-15 or E-85, which can cause lean seizing.

I suggest doing what I did, find a non-ethanol gas seller at http://pure-gas.org/ and use it for all your 2-cycles, especially the periodic use motors.

HF

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-30-2012, 12:45 PM
I can't help you pick out a new saw...as I am unfamilier with the new model numbers...But I will suggest that if you are considering a more powerful model, look for one that has the "Pro" designation...my story below.

I have two older stihl 024 saws with 16" bars. One of these was given to me by a friend who I was cutting wood for (before I started burning myself). He was replacing it with a new 026, he was worried that the old 024 was near it's death. I used it for years...and liked it enough to buy another one...a junker 024 from a Husky dealer that took it in on trade for a new Husky. I figured I'd use it for parts, but after I cleaned the tank and carb. the thing ran like new :)

6 or 7 years ago, I bought a new MS360 Pro with 20" bar. I use that the most, it cuts so much faster. The "Pro" series are lighter weight per the same HP...IIRC ? But this 360 Pro is still quite a bit heavier than an 024.

I burn about 3 cords a year, secondary heat for the house. I do cut more than that per year and sell the excess to help cover gas/oil and chains (I sold about 12 cords in the last two years, that was more than normal).

Lastly, with a properly sharpened chain, a 20" saw can cut a big log...a hundred+ year old white oak shown below.

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/bigstumpwithStihlcloseupreduced400x300.jpg

Tazman1602
12-30-2012, 12:58 PM
I'm a Husqvarna guy, my ported 395XP eats Stihl 660's for breakfast....but that being said I do a bunch of lumber milling with that saw.

Stihl makes a GREAT product and I have a lot of experience with saws and cutting so let me give you the best bit of advice I can.

Buy the BIGGEST saw that you yourself can COMFORTABLY handle for the money you can afford. You'll never be sorry you bought one that is a bit too big but if you buy one that is too small that can cost you.

Always buy the pro model if you can afford it, I'm unfamiliar with Stihl's models but BIL has Stihls and they are no slouched. I think he's got an MS361? He's very happy with it and it cuts right alongside my Husky 346XP Husky.

Jump over to www.arboristsite.com and ask those guys. There ate some REAL experts over there...

Art

shotman4
12-30-2012, 01:01 PM
one that has not been mentioned is the250 Guy bought it and didnt want it . Its a nice light saw . It has 18in bar and they use a different pitch chain. It will cut with anything out there. I like the way it starts. as it has the new inertia start. You dont have any jerk. cord pulls with NO force. and then it starts. I first got it and thought the rewind was broke. Pulled it and nothing sit it down and it started. WOW lot of the tree guy like them as easy to start in a tree. any you get try to get the Power Tip it makes big difference. You can plunge straight in and cut up or down if the log is dirty.

uscra112
12-30-2012, 01:05 PM
When I had to commit to 100% wood heat three years ago, I bought a very used 029 at an auction of surplus county road department equipment. It has been a workhorse. Bar is 20", it's gotten a new chain, and I rebuilt the carb on general principles. My only complaint is that it's too easy to flood when starting cold. I've cut up oak logs so big I had to hit 'em from three sides with it, but it's maneuverable enough to trim with. I don't know what the current equivalent is, but I would never settle for anything but the same size or a bit bigger, and I will never even look at another brand after having this one.

leadeye
12-30-2012, 01:06 PM
I heat with wood only and my best advice is to make sure the saw has a decompression button. Makes starting easy.

27judge
12-30-2012, 01:08 PM
Back about 30 years ago my sons and i had a firewood business. We had 3 of the old o41 farm boss saws. what a bear, it was a great cutter but wow was it heavy. Times have sure changed on what todays saws weigh . I now have a little 026 for my personal firewood cutting .Nice little saw for what i cut tks ken

garym1a2
12-30-2012, 01:11 PM
My MS310 and 390 are good saws, so are my brothers 290's. I would wait on the new series till they get a track record. If you can find one I would go with a pro grade saw like the MS260 or 026, good power and lighter weight.

MtGun44
12-30-2012, 07:01 PM
I have an 029 Farm Boss, great saw, highly recommended for ordinary firewood chores.
I use it half the time at 10,000 ft and it still has the power to do good cutting, plenty
down at sea level, too.

Bill

Just Duke
12-30-2012, 10:27 PM
I had one and traded it off for a car. The wife and I have a 440 and 660 on our wish list. We have a buddy here that is a still rep. ;)

Just Duke
12-30-2012, 10:29 PM
I have an 029 Farm Boss, great saw, highly recommended for ordinary firewood chores.
I use it half the time at 10,000 ft and it still has the power to do good cutting, plenty
down at sea level, too.

Bill

How do you get to 10,000 feet in Kansas?

selmerfan
12-30-2012, 10:46 PM
I picked up the MS 290 Farmboss today with 18" bar. Purchased the 6-pack of Stihl full synthetic two-cycle to extend the warranty. Brought it home, mixed the gas (we have two stations in town that sell non-ethanol gas, always have about 10 gallons on hand for small engines). Filled the oil reservoir, filled the gas tank, pulled two times and away we go! Bucked two dead ash trees this afternoon in about 15 minutes - runs like a top, buried the bar and it still kept going. I'm happy!

plmitch
12-31-2012, 01:03 AM
I picked up the MS 290 Farmboss today with 18" bar. Purchased the 6-pack of Stihl full synthetic two-cycle to extend the warranty. Brought it home, mixed the gas (we have two stations in town that sell non-ethanol gas, always have about 10 gallons on hand for small engines). Filled the oil reservoir, filled the gas tank, pulled two times and away we go! Bucked two dead ash trees this afternoon in about 15 minutes - runs like a top, buried the bar and it still kept going. I'm happy!

Thats Great! they are a good little saw, not to heavy for all day use.

starmac
12-31-2012, 01:11 AM
Just something I have read several times, that would pertain to any saw. The pro sawyers claim that with the gas now days that they will not use gas over a week old.
I have also read this on some sno machine sites. For no more than I use my saws anymore, I mix no more than two gallons at a time, and what I don't use goes into the forklift instead of holding it for next time.

alrighty
12-31-2012, 02:59 AM
Glad to hear it , I think you made a good choice.Later you may want to check out this site for extra chains and other equipment.They are good people to deal with.
http://www.baileysonline.com/

alrighty
12-31-2012, 03:03 AM
Just something I have read several times, that would pertain to any saw. The pro sawyers claim that with the gas now days that they will not use gas over a week old.
I have also read this on some sno machine sites. For no more than I use my saws anymore, I mix no more than two gallons at a time, and what I don't use goes into the forklift instead of holding it for next time.
Good advice when having to use gas with ethanol.I always try to run the saw completely out of gas before I store it if longer than a week.This will keep your carb from getting gummed up.

selmerfan
12-31-2012, 09:33 AM
Thank goodness I don't have to use gas with ethanol, and either Seafoam or Stabil goes into every can of gas when I fill it. Now - for the carb gumming up. I've read a variety of opinions on this. I used to be in the camp that ran everything out of gas when I went to store it, drain the tank, etc. on stuff like mowers for the winter, ice auger for the summer, two-cycle outboard for the winter. Then my father-in-law, who is a mechanic, couldn't believe that I was running them out of gas. He told me that the diaphragm in the carbs and fuel pumps on the small engines would dry up, the gaskets would dry up on the other carbs, etc. I never had a problem with them the way I had treated them before. So I started not running them out of gas. Haven't had a problem. I wonder if the issue doesn't have more to do with the quality of gas and the use of fuel stabilizers consistently? In any case, unless I'm going to leave them for months at a time, I just keep stabilizer in them and don't worry about it. Otherwise I shut them down as normal, then drain the gas tank. Haven't had a carb bulb varnish up on me yet, and no gummed carbs...wow, I hijacked my own thread! :grin:

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-31-2012, 11:46 AM
Now - for the carb gumming up. I've read a variety of opinions on this. I used to be in the camp that ran everything out of gas when I went to store it, drain the tank, etc. on stuff like mowers for the winter, ice auger for the summer, two-cycle outboard for the winter. Then my father-in-law, who is a mechanic, couldn't believe that I was running them out of gas. He told me that the diaphragm in the carbs and fuel pumps on the small engines would dry up, the gaskets would dry up on the other carbs, etc.

I'm quite sure there will NOT be a concensus on this one. Like you have done in the past, I too run all my seasonal small engines "DRY" of gas...expecailly gas/oil mix for 2 cycle.

BUT, I do have one exception. I recently bought a new to me 1987 vintage Troybilt Horse tiller with 8HP Kohler. This thing has a fuel pump inline (between the tank and the carb). If that Dries up, it won't pump gas til I "Prime it" (by removing the line and squirting gas into the line/pump). SO I just keep the lines full of seafoam treated non-oxiginated gas.

I've heard many people tell me about diaphrams drying out...I've never had that happen. since I'm not using any ethanol, that could be one reason. also I doubt you can really get a carb DRY. But maybe if it sits for longer than 6 months...maybe it'll dry out ? but aren't those diaphrams designed for that ?
that's My 2¢,
Jon

LAH
12-31-2012, 12:16 PM
I picked up the MS 290 Farmboss today with 18" bar. Bucked two dead ash trees this afternoon in about 15 minutes - runs like a top, buried the bar and it still kept going. I'm happy!

You will be happy with this saw & with just a little care, as you seem to give your equipment, it will last a lifetime. My 028 would pull a full 16" sharp chain in oak if I didn't take the drags down to low. Here's my current 034 pulling a full 20" chain. If that old saw can do a 20" bar your new Stihl will have no trouble with an 18".
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Creekerpics/Firewood/Chain%20Saw/Picture135.jpg

quilbilly
12-31-2012, 01:52 PM
Keep your eyes open for gas stations that sell alcohol free gas or check with your local farm supply store about such stations. Many marinas also sell alcohol free gas as well.

selmerfan
12-31-2012, 03:18 PM
Pretty sure that I've mentioned at least three times in this thread that we have two stations in town selling non-oxygenated gas. Benefit of living in Minnesota snowmobile and boat country!

selmerfan
12-31-2012, 03:23 PM
And I bucked two more trees this morning. I wish I could ID dead hardwoods worth a darn. Both have been down for at least a couple of years, still solid wood, but the bark has sloughed off. One is very dense, very heavy wood, and my splitting maul goes through it like a hot knife through butter with very clean, straight splits. The other isn't quite as dense, but I could go into the toothpick business splitting this stuff! It splits straight, but is "stringy"? Not the right word, but when it splits, it doesn't split clean, it still wants to hang together.

LAH
12-31-2012, 03:55 PM
Sound like our Red Oak, splits straight & our White Oak, splits "stringy".

o6Patient
12-31-2012, 04:30 PM
I have a 460 magnum and a 361 which is a high performance saw made to compete w the husky 357
but being high performance to weight it has always been a little finicky. They are both good saws.
I traded a husky rancher in for the 361 and I always missed that saw since.

MtGun44
12-31-2012, 05:40 PM
Can't get over about 4000 ft in Kansas, but I have a cabin in the mtns in
Colorado that is at just under 10,000 MSL. The power available at 10,000 ft is about
55% of sea level, still cuts real well.

Bill

MtGun44
12-31-2012, 05:56 PM
Come September, I put Stabil into each can of gas I get for mowers
and such, but 2 stroke fuel always gets Stabil, never have any problems,
even with 2 yr old fuel with ethanol.

Bill

mpmarty
01-01-2013, 02:08 AM
441 here with a 28" bar. Wood is our primary heat source and owning 40 acres of hardwoods is mighty convenient.

GaryN
01-01-2013, 02:44 AM
I heat with wood. I use an old 041 Super that I bought new. I can't help you with the new ones. I think they are all made in China now.

starmac
01-01-2013, 03:26 AM
Nope they are not all made in china by a long shot. lol china is making some knockoffs that some are getting a good rep though.

LAH
01-01-2013, 12:56 PM
441 here with a 28" bar. Wood is our primary heat source and owning 40 acres of hardwoods is mighty convenient.

Mighty convenient............and that is a great 70CC saw.

Just Duke
01-01-2013, 04:25 PM
Can't get over about 4000 ft in Kansas, but I have a cabin in the mtns in
Colorado that is at just under 10,000 MSL. The power available at 10,000 ft is about
55% of sea level, still cuts real well.

Bill

Oh I didn't know. That would be a long drive Bill.

Just Duke
01-01-2013, 04:33 PM
We just walk the beaches up in WA and pick up shards of driftwood. [smilie=1:

A 24 inch bar is just the right size for limbing up our way. ;)
Here's what we refer to as a sapling on the Olympic Peninsula. Three times this big in Humptulips, Washington
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01694/giant-driftwood_1694671i.jpg

Ed K
01-01-2013, 04:40 PM
Back about 30 years ago my sons and i had a firewood business. We had 3 of the old o41 farm boss saws. what a bear, it was a great cutter but wow was it heavy.

I still use one for all my cutting - almost 40 years old and it does 6 cord every year. Not a suggestion for what to buy but a testament to Stihl quality!

monge
01-01-2013, 04:47 PM
What ever model you choose dont leave gas in it for eneny length of time ethenol in it eats the fuel lines. had to replace them in two of mine

MtGun44
01-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Long drive? Only about 9.5-10 hrs, not so far.

Bill

selmerfan
01-01-2013, 07:36 PM
If I see one more comment about ethanol gas eating lines etc. I might go nuts. For the fourth time, I have ready access to non-oxygenated, ethanol free gas year round, which I use in all of my small engines.

Just Duke
01-01-2013, 07:37 PM
Long drive? Only about 9.5-10 hrs, not so far.

Bill

Wow! I'd fall asleep at the wheel before I got there. I don't car real well. Never did. You up in Woodland Park, Deckers or Genesee Pass? You must be cutting beetle kill.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
01-01-2013, 07:58 PM
I run a MS260 , i think it is the 261 now with oiler adjustment and compression release

with a 20 inch bar , i can load it down if i push to hard , but i don't have to bend as much with the 20 inch bar which saves the back

I have a great uncle that cuts a lot more wood than i do that swears by the 026 or 260 , but he buys the head then buys the 3/8 bar not the .325 and he runs full chisle loggers chain , he claims he can run that with an 18 inch bar and never bog down just keep cutting , he is probably right
but my saw came with the .325 pich and the safety chain and i already had 2 chains before he told me this

the important thing is to sharpen your own chain with a file , just like you can make a cast boolit shoot right to your gun you can make a chain cut right to your style of cutting and the type of wood you cut