PDA

View Full Version : at the range with the .32 & real black!

mainiac
07-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Finally got my black powder. Went with swiss& schuetchen fff. Shot the swiss mostly today. Got some chrono results you guys might be intrested in. Wish I was computer savvy,and i would type this up all fancy,,, but i dont know how. Anyway, im very pleased with the swiss powder. Between 17 and 22 grains,it will shoot about .450-.500 groups @ 25 yards. Also bought some lehigh valley lube, and this gave the finest accuracy with the blue pillow tick .017 patch that i used today. This swiss powder burns so clean, that i really cant beleave it. Shot a few groups @ 50 that was about 1.25 inches. Will keep trying to refine the load, but i dont think i can shoot much tighter than this anyways. Ive shot bench-rest for years, and fully realize what affect the wind has on your bullet, BUT MAN! I cant beleave how much a 46 grain round ball will drift. (very windy day today) Anyway, back to the crono work........ 10 grs of swiss gives 1209 av. vel with 100 e.s. 20 grs gives 1752 av with 43 e.s. 30 grs gives 2069 av with 3 e.s. Notice that the more powder you use the tighter the e.s. The 30 gr. load is by the way, Very loud! sounds like a thutty-thutty, not a smoke-pole! The schuetzen powder gives about 200 f.p.s. less velocity,with the same measure settings. The swiss powder has a very difining crack,to its sound. And as clean as it burns, it reminds me of smoke-less. Think i will stick with it for now, but i have to work with the schuetzen powder,and have to get some goex as well. Man, dont i love to play with a new toy! Im betting that this thing will shoot close to .250 groups @ 25 yds, on a calm evening! Ive done wore out my 2 fingers writing this, so will close for now. More testing to come, as im on vacation this week, and plan on load work ups,,,, NOT the honey-do-list!

NSP64
07-03-2007, 04:04 PM
sounds great:mrgreen: I'm green with envy. post some pics!

piwo
07-03-2007, 06:24 PM
That does sound like a great outing. I shot last week and may go out tomorrow with my smoke pole as well!

mazo kid
07-16-2007, 09:22 PM
Mainiac, is your .32 percussion or flint? I have a .32 flint Dixie Mountain rifle; also have some Schuetzen and 4# of Swiss supposedly arriving soon. Haven't tried either of those powders yet. Elephant didn't work well at all in the little 32 (fouling!), Goex slightly better. Don't have a chrony so don't know how they shot other than by the seat of the pants feeling. Emery

mainiac
07-18-2007, 08:23 PM
Mainiac, is your .32 percussion or flint? I have a .32 flint Dixie Mountain rifle; also have some Schuetzen and 4# of Swiss supposedly arriving soon. Haven't tried either of those powders yet. Elephant didn't work well at all in the little 32 (fouling!), Goex slightly better. Don't have a chrony so don't know how they shot other than by the seat of the pants feeling. Emery

It is a cap gun, and was shooting it the other day at sillywet targets... gun is a blast to shoot! Set the pigs at 130 yards, and every pig got hit in the shoulder,many times! The only downside, the 46 grain ball dont have the omph to knock the pigs over, that often. Either spray paint the steel, or listen real close for the tink, to comfirm the hit.